Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

52 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Wouldn't be top of my list, but I trust Gary if this is what he thinks he needs.

Would have to assume that we are looking to play two up top.

Martin/Jerome/Nugent/Vydra isn't a bad roster of strikers to have in this league.

He seems to be adding a few players that have won promotion from the Championship, Jerome would be another one.

That would be Carson, Anya, Davies, Shackell, Pearce, Baird, Huddlestone, Johnson, Vydra, Nugent, Jerome that have been promoted...we could actually make an 11 out of it.

Carson
          Shackell  Davies  Pearce
Baird                                          Anya
          Huddlestone      Johnson
                          Vydra
             Nugent           Jerome

That's the way forward :ph34r:

Jerome is a one up front forward

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Wouldn't be top of my list, but I trust Gary if this is what he thinks he needs.

Would have to assume that we are looking to play two up top.

Martin/Jerome/Nugent/Vydra isn't a bad roster of strikers to have in this league.

He seems to be adding a few players that have won promotion from the Championship, Jerome would be another one.

That would be Carson, Anya, Davies, Shackell, Pearce, Baird, Huddlestone, Johnson, Vydra, Nugent, Jerome that have been promoted...we could actually make an 11 out of it.

Carson
          Shackell  Davies  Pearce
Baird                                          Anya
          Huddlestone      Johnson
                          Vydra
             Nugent           Jerome

That's the way forward :ph34r:

32 minutes ago, Casio said:

What's Wisdom & Keogh done to deserve being dropped? My two favourite players so far this year along with Vydra & Nugent.

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Jerome is a one up front forward

I wasn't seriously suggesting it as a lineup.

55 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

He seems to be adding a few players that have won promotion from the Championship

This

34 minutes ago, Casio said:

What's Wisdom & Keogh done to deserve being dropped? My two favourite players so far this year along with Vydra & Nugent.

Pay attention lad - This is a fast paced highly intelligent forum

Just now, EulogyForEvolution said:

I wasn't seriously suggesting it as a lineup.

Would enjoy seeing Baird tearing it up as a wing-back...

4 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

He never needed Ince in front of him...he had it in him all along. Time to take off the shackles and let him run free.

The hills are alive with the sound of... Chris Baird tearing opponents apart with his mazy dribbles down the wing

I'm predicting him for top scorer this season - 25 goals

But only if they play him at wing-back

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

The hills are alive with the sound of... Chris Baird tearing opponents apart with his mazy dribbles down the wing

I'm predicting him for top scorer this season - 25 goals

But only if they play him at wing-back

You remember Mourinho's quote about 'letting the horses run free'?

Poor Rowett, keeps opening the stable gates, to see if our lot will even turn their snouts towards the field outside with an inkling of energy!

:lol:

15 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I've admitted it. This is how it is now. You'd have to be blind not to see it any other way. 

He's sold Ince, Christie and Hughes; three highly technical players who like time on the ball; they like to play without fear. We've gone for the brutish Wisdom to replace Cyrus, the complete unknown in Lawrence has replaced Tom and we're yet to replace Hughes. In fact, we're not even giving Butterfield that opportunity, nor Bryson. He signed Huddlestone, who whilst capable of some sublime long passing is bringing very littler else to the table unless we're counting the goals he's partly to blame for so far this season based purely on his complete lack of mobility. We have the brittle Thorne to look forward to. A diamond of a player. But brittle. 18 months without action is he? And hardly the most mobile himself. 

There's little pace further forward. I love Russell, but his confidence is shot. He can run at players, but often he does just that. Runs at or into them. Weimann isn't a winger. He's the worst dribbler I've ever seen out wide, and I once saw Carlton Palmer play wide right against us in the 90's which was fun. 

Nugent is busy, a trier, but he's all about finishing chances. Who's creating them? Martin looks a dead duck under Rowett. Knocking 40 yard balls into him or beyond him, that's not going to work. We all know how to use Chrissy. And Bent's a pundit now on Rams telly. 

All I sense is more hoof, less football and a mid table finish without anything to cling to. 

Edit - forgot we'd signed Davies. Who we arguably didn't need, with Pearce and Shackell here. 

Sorry if I'm downbeat, it's against my nature, but I'm feeling exactly that. I don't understand what we're doing. 

Fingers crossed the magic happens tomorrow and beyond. I used to like Paul Daniels. Not a lot.

I'm completely with you. On transfer activity as weird as it sounds I think the most telling transfer (on how we were going to play) was Huddlestone.

With Davies you could well argue we needed a new centre back given shackell's injury and that we could do somebody who was vaguely mobile to play next to keogh. Wisdom, whilst not having Christie's flair, I can see why you'd want somebody who was consistent and definitely is young enough where he might develop a fair bit. Lawrence did very well last season for Ipswich and on the face of it looks like he might be a decent replacement for Ince. 

Huddlestone though, you have to have a plan in mind to use him because whilst he has some very big strengths he also has some major weaknesses. To my mind you can three-ish plans as to why to bring him in:

a) your looking to completely dominate possesion a la clement, allows Huddlestone to complete dictate the game (what he is best) and because you hog the ball it mitigates his mobility in midfield as you don't have to win it back often.

B) You play a more balanced style but have two hardworking energetic midfielders to cover him. Essentially take a leave out of Juventes' book on how they deployed Pirlo tactically.

C) You sit very deep with the midfielders permanently sat just in front of the back 4, don't have them really pressing just maintaining shape and use Huddlestone to launch the ball into the channels.

Rowett would never go for a) and we don't have the midfielders without signing anybody for b) so we end up with c) Sit deep and hoof.

6 hours ago, Davide said:

Bit of hoof ball might be what we need- sick of passing it sideways and back getting nowhere

I'm sorry I didn't realise that were literally two ways of playing football, I was under the impression there were quite a few different shades between those two extremes. 

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'm sorry I didn't realise that were literally two ways of playing football, I was under the impression there were quite a few different shades between those two extremes. 

Presumably why he said "a bit of hoofball", not "full ball 100% out-and-out going hard on the hoofball"

1 minute ago, GadFly said:

Presumably why he said "a bit of hoofball", not "full ball 100% out-and-out going hard on the hoofball"

Maybe my reply was a little too facetious, I'm just a little bitter because Im becoming more convinced that we are going to seeing quite a lot more than just "a bit of hoofball" this season

16 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We are not playing the same system anymore. Please can everyone forget about the past. Not long ago everyone was saying our system was a busted flush. We all knew Rowett played differently. It's containment. To use a boxing analogy its counter punching, drawing the opposition on. Despite the Sheffield freak show I think we look pretty solid* and what's more I have seen more than a few flashes of our potential. Give him time and I think he will get us going. (And no its not hoofball at all). 

* Not withstanding the gifts of Gold (Carson), Frankincense (Russell) and Myrrh (Carson again). Christmas came early to S2.

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I'm completely with you. On transfer activity as weird as it sounds I think the most telling transfer (on how we were going to play) was Huddlestone.

With Davies you could well argue we needed a new centre back given shackell's injury and that we could do somebody who was vaguely mobile to play next to keogh. Wisdom, whilst not having Christie's flair, I can see why you'd want somebody who was consistent and definitely is young enough where he might develop a fair bit. Lawrence did very well last season for Ipswich and on the face of it looks like he might be a decent replacement for Ince. 

Huddlestone though, you have to have a plan in mind to use him because whilst he has some very big strengths he also has some major weaknesses. To my mind you can three-ish plans as to why to bring him in:

a) your looking to completely dominate possesion a la clement, allows Huddlestone to complete dictate the game (what he is best) and because you hog the ball it mitigates his mobility in midfield as you don't have to win it back often.

B) You play a more balanced style but have two hardworking energetic midfielders to cover him. Essentially take a leave out of Juventes' book on how they deployed Pirlo tactically.

C) You sit very deep with the midfielders permanently sat just in front of the back 4, don't have them really pressing just maintaining shape and use Huddlestone to launch the ball into the channels.

Rowett would never go for a) and we don't have the midfielders without signing anybody for b) so we end up with c) Sit deep and hoof.

In a nut shell. In boxing parlance, take a few to the body, keep your head down, soak it up, soak it up, soak it up then...go;on my san...W.A.L.L.O.P ...ping head up long ball, smash...GOALLL! 1-0 Rams. {wake up Pride Park, we've scored a goal}. Oh! ........they've all gone home. :mellow:

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

In a nut shell. In boxing parlance, take a few to the body, keep your head down, soak it up, soak it up, soak it up then...go;on my san...W.A.L.L.O.P ...ping head up long ball, smash...GOALLL! 1-0 Rams. {wake up Pride Park, we've scored a goal}. Oh! ........they've gone. :mellow:

Except it's not really working out that way. They keep attacking us, and whenever we get the ball back we lump it forward and right back to them so they can carry on attacking us again.

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Don't think there are two ways to play football. My point is Derby are never direct enough. Maybe this season will be more promising if Huddlestone for example can play people in but too many home matches over last two seasons we don't get enough crosses in, or long balls in, instead going nowhere with safe passes. 

Archived