Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

11 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I've admitted it. This is how it is now. You'd have to be blind not to see it any other way. 

He's sold Ince, Christie and Hughes; three highly technical players who like time on the ball; they like to play without fear. We've gone for the brutish Wisdom to replace Cyrus, the complete unknown in Lawrence has replaced Tom and we're yet to replace Hughes. In fact, we're not even giving Butterfield that opportunity, nor Bryson. He signed Huddlestone, who whilst capable of some sublime long passing is bringing very littler else to the table unless we're counting the goals he's partly to blame for so far this season based purely on his complete lack of mobility. We have the brittle Thorne to look forward to. A diamond of a player. But brittle. 18 months without action is he? And hardly the most mobile himself. 

There's little pace further forward. I love Russell, but his confidence is shot. He can run at players, but often he does just that. Runs at or into them. Weimann isn't a winger. He's the worst dribbler I've ever seen out wide, and I once saw Carlton Palmer play wide right against us in the 90's which was fun. 

Nugent is busy, a trier, but he's all about finishing chances. Who's creating them? Martin looks a dead duck under Rowett. Knocking 40 yard balls into him or beyond him, that's not going to work. We all know how to use Chrissy. And Bent's a pundit now on Rams telly. 

All I sense is more hoof, less football and a mid table finish without anything to cling to. 

Edit - forgot we'd signed Davies. Who we arguably didn't need, with Pearce and Shackell here. 

Sorry if I'm downbeat, it's against my nature, but I'm feeling exactly that. I don't understand what we're doing. 

Fingers crossed the magic happens tomorrow and beyond. I used to like Paul Daniels. Not a lot.

You've put it just right for me too. I don't understand how a chap like Rowett, who sounds intelligent and speaks very well, can then go and be so Neanderthal in his style of football...but that's what is beginning to emerge. 

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I've admitted it. This is how it is now. You'd have to be blind not to see it any other way. 

He's sold Ince, Christie and Hughes; three highly technical players who like time on the ball; they like to play without fear. We've gone for the brutish Wisdom to replace Cyrus, the complete unknown in Lawrence has replaced Tom and we're yet to replace Hughes. In fact, we're not even giving Butterfield that opportunity, nor Bryson. He signed Huddlestone, who whilst capable of some sublime long passing is bringing very littler else to the table unless we're counting the goals he's partly to blame for so far this season based purely on his complete lack of mobility. We have the brittle Thorne to look forward to. A diamond of a player. But brittle. 18 months without action is he? And hardly the most mobile himself. 

There's little pace further forward. I love Russell, but his confidence is shot. He can run at players, but often he does just that. Runs at or into them. Weimann isn't a winger. He's the worst dribbler I've ever seen out wide, and I once saw Carlton Palmer play wide right against us in the 90's which was fun. 

Nugent is busy, a trier, but he's all about finishing chances. Who's creating them? Martin looks a dead duck under Rowett. Knocking 40 yard balls into him or beyond him, that's not going to work. We all know how to use Chrissy. And Bent's a pundit now on Rams telly. 

All I sense is more hoof, less football and a mid table finish without anything to cling to. 

Edit - forgot we'd signed Davies. Who we arguably didn't need, with Pearce and Shackell here. 

Sorry if I'm downbeat, it's against my nature, but I'm feeling exactly that. I don't understand what we're doing. 

Fingers crossed the magic happens tomorrow and beyond. I used to like Paul Daniels. Not a lot.

I'll forgive you for calling Christie a highly technical player who likes time on the ball, but the rest of this this is spot on IMO

42 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

(Very) slight improvement on Leon Best. Which I don't feel is what we're after.

Mel continues to bang on about the remit being to increase the value of the squad (as well as promotion). Surely that has to rule this one out?

I think Jerome is much better than Leon Best, maybe someone like Jerome is there to help get the best out of the other players and increase their value rather than his own?

We need players to suit Rowetts style rather than failing to get the current players to fit his style as it clearly isnt going to work - Jerome would suit Rowetts style. Not sure what people expected us to play like under Rowett but it was never going to be free flowing attacking football.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I actually think Jerome has been a good player over the years and would be a useful  addition but we know that the problem is creating chances.

Martin, Vydra, Nugent and Bent can all put the ball in the net if they get the chance.

We need a strong, driving midfield player and one more creative player to get us on the front foot rather than living off scraps.

Jerome at least would give us some aerial presence.

We do need a strong, driving midfielder, but I do feel the need to point out that the closest we've come to achieving anything was NOT with the wide men and the midfielders providing the striker with opportunites/chances, it was more often the case that our midfield and wide players had success because the centre forward was providing THEM with opportunities.

The notion that it's entirely the responsibility of the other players to provide a striker with chances to score is outdated, it's been left behind by modern tactics and management.

We created chances from using the front-man correctly, who in turn created chances for others - it was a mutually beneficial set-up, one which we've since abandoned, much for the worse and one which we've recently seen other teams blow us away by taking the principles of and using against us.

Most of our width came from overlapping fullbacks. It's a concept that other teams have taken as a blueprint and then expanded upon whilst we've gone backwards. Rowett is in danger of appearing to be as dinosauric as Nigel Pearson, but as a good bloke rather than an an utter t****.

2 hours ago, LazloW said:

If we sign this bloke it'll cause a meltdown of biblical proportions.

What do I mean, biblical? 

I mean, real wrath of god type stuff.......

Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria!

Love a good ghostbusters quote!

4 minutes ago, Coconut said:

We do need a strong, driving midfielder, but I do feel the need to point out that the closest we've come to achieving anything was NOT with the wide men and the midfielders providing the striker with opportunites, it was more often the case that our midfield and wide players had success because the centre forward was providing THEM with opportunities.

We created chances from using the front-man correctly, who in turn created chances for others - it was a mutually beneficial set-up, one which we've since abandoned, much for the worse.

Most of our width came from overlapping fullbacks. It's a concept that other teams have taken as a blueprint and then expanded upon whilst we've gone backwards.

We are not playing the same system anymore. Please can everyone forget about the past. Not long ago everyone was saying our system was a busted flush. We all knew Rowett played differently. It's containment. To use a boxing analogy its counter punching, drawing the opposition on. Despite the Sheffield freak show I think we look pretty solid and what's more I have seen more than a few flashes of our potential. Give him time and I think he will get us going. (And no its not hoofball at all). 

31 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We are not playing the same system anymore. Please can everyone forget about the past. Not long ago everyone was saying our system was a busted flush.

...and those people were mostly idiots who couldn't see the difference between two different ways of playing the same formation, people who thought that losing at Wembley meant that the whole thing should be regarded as as a failure.

I'm just starting to get worried that our current manager is echoing the same mistakes that tit Nigel Pearson made tbh, just hidden behind better PR and a more affable nature.

I was really just pointing out that it's an antiqudated view of football to suggest that the reason your team isn't scoring goals is purely down the supply to the strikers because modern football is far more advanced than that. What we need isn't just 'better wingers, more supply' it's an entirely improved ethos to all things creative... and we had a better all-round idea of how to achieve that 4 years ago!

3 hours ago, SilentRam said:

Went to the actual source quoted in that story, the Telegraph, which adds we are trying to get rid of Shackell (no surprise) and Butterfield too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/30/transfer-talkswansea-city-verge-major-transfer-coup-sign-renato/

"Derby County have launched a late bid for Norwich striker Cameron Jerome but will have to pay at least £3m. Derby are trying to offload Jason Shackell and Jacob Butterfield."

Straight swap with Norwich. Give them two of their old  boys back 

Archived