Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I sometimes wonder in football whether managers/coaching staff try to hard.

I remember watching a documentary about Ericsson. In one of the first games England played under him they went behind. He just sat there being nonchalant and looking dandy in his designer coat. They were used to Keegan running up and down the touchline losing his ****.

They were all aware of Sven chilling, and the spirit was conveyed to the pitch and they went on to win.

A walk down the banks of Trent and a cup of Bovril, Brian Clough style, could do more good than frenzied bib-wearing dribbling around cones.

I said this before a couple of times on this forum - I would like to see 'mad minutes' in which the whole team attacks - I would like every player to have a pop at goal in every game. @Angry Ram added to this once that this would work as teams would be unable to work out where our goals were going to come from. Often we are too predictable on this front.

I think we should go much further and tell all opposition teams that we are re-discovering our Corinthian values and are no longer interested in the 3 points but will just want a jolly good game of combination football before repairing to the Old Bell for roast leg of lamb and a sup of fine Burton ale. Competitive sport is so  tedious these days. 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I only remember because it preceded my arrest for running on the pitch to hug Christie...I too thought it was his goal!

Bravo! That crescendo of impulsive feeling that makes you do that. I'm sure ageing has convinced you that it was well worth it and you'd do it again given the moment. 

43 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I sometimes wonder in football whether managers/coaching staff try to hard.

I remember watching a documentary about Ericsson. In one of the first games England played under him they went behind. He just sat there being nonchalant and looking dandy in his designer coat. They were used to Keegan running up and down the touchline losing his ****.

They were all aware of Sven chilling, and the spirit was conveyed to the pitch and they went on to win.

A walk down the banks of Trent and a cup of Bovril, Brian Clough style, could do more good than frenzied bib-wearing dribbling around cones.

I said this before a couple of times on this forum - I would like to see 'mad minutes' in which the whole team attacks - I would like every player to have a pop at goal in every game. @Angry Ram added to this once that this would work as teams would be unable to work out where our goals were going to come from. Often we are too predictable on this front.

The changing room revamp looked a bit try hard when I saw it on the website.

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Bravo! That crescendo of impulsive feeling that makes you do that. I'm sure ageing has convinced you that it was well worth it and you'd do it again given the moment. 

I was 19 and drunk.

Sit on the back row and actually left my seat when Sheff Wed scored their third.

By time I had staggered down to the bottom of the stairs it was 3-3 and it seemed totally logical to just keep on staggering in the direction that I was heading!

Does anyone remember that 40 yard pass by Huddlestone in the pre season friendly? Dropped right over the shoulder of a full pelt Johnny Russell right onto his chest! God I hope we get more of that boring hoof ball! (Yes I know Johnny put the shot over the bar, but that's not TH's or GR's fault) I'm looking forward to reading the complaints and general moans week in week out if we can convert those chances on a regular basis (big if, but you never know). 

One or two have mentioned in other threads 'But why did Rowett allow Hughes and Ince to leave?' Remember there's a small carrot of Premiership football dangled. Days of loyalty to the cause are almost non existent. My oft quoted 'Paul GODdard turned down Liverpool as he'd given his word to us',one of the last I remember of genuine loyalty. 

I don't think for a moment they were 'allowed' to leave. Only Watford made a bid for Hughes and he hasn't even started yet. I wish him well and every success but he's gone we move on. The goings on behind the scenes even the most informed on here will have not a scooby so it's all conjecture. Best managers out there would struggle to keep anyone wanting away. Premier boys are finding that out right now re Arsenal and Liverpool with two cracking players who don't want to be there. 

Rowett will form his unit and I've every confidence he'll get them sorted. Still predict us top 6.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I think we should go much further and tell all opposition teams that we are re-discovering our Corinthian values and are no longer interested in the 3 points but will just want a jolly good game of combination football before repairing to the Old Bell for roast leg of lamb and a sup of fine Burton ale. Competitive sport is so  tedious these days. 

Having just watched two appalling England turn-outs in the last few days, then comparing it to the transfer fees/wages environment football now inhabits, if your being sincere I would agree with you.:)

If you're being sarcastic ... well the current whatever Derby has been doing since the 2013/2014 season isn't working, even with a lot of cash flung at the problems, not to mention six managers (one twice). In the last couple of seasons we have seemed to act like a charity for ailing championship sides who face relegation, by gifting them the 3 pts.

I would let them have the lamb and Burton ale after they have won three games (like the Tinkerman and his pizza).

Til then I only want them eating the pineapple cubes from the urinals and the noses of the opposition's midfielders. 

I am old school - but not Corinthian, more Dark Ages.

43 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Days of loyalty to the cause are almost non existent. My oft quoted 'Paul GODdard turned down Liverpool as he'd given his word to us',one of the last I remember of genuine loyalty. 

Wasn't that more down to the fact we told him if a London club came in for him he was free to leave?

I think it's since been revealed that Sherwood was still going to sign for us over Blackburn until Arthur Cox basically said 'we don't mind, that offer's too good for you to turn down.'

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I was 19 and drunk.

Sit on the back row and actually left my seat when Sheff Wed scored their third.

By time I had staggered down to the bottom of the stairs it was 3-3 and it seemed totally logical to just keep on staggering in the direction that I was heading!

A diamond of an anecdote...

8 hours ago, cannable said:

Wasn't that more down to the fact we told him if a London club came in for him he was free to leave?

I think it's since been revealed that Sherwood was still going to sign for us over Blackburn until Arthur Cox basically said 'we don't mind, that offer's too good for you to turn down.'

You may be correct cannable I'd need to speak to Mr G for a direct quote to clarify but I'm happy in my world with it ?

Archived