Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

5 minutes ago, David said:

Guess you didn't get the memo that Rowett wants a small squad?

Agree or disagree it shouldn't come as a surprise we have less players per position.

The pathway from the U23's to the first team has just become a little more clear for the likes of Callum Guy to be given a chance.

So you think Callum Guy is good enough for the first team ! 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, toddy said:

Even with Hughes Bryson and Butterfield we were light in midfield especially the creative side of things, this season we now have lost all three of those mentioned and brought in CM that blues were happy to offload.

We now have Huddlestone and Johnson and Kieftenbeld as our only 3 midfielders, Yes I now we also might have Thorne back shortly. But come on how long will he last before he is out injured again? And Hanson, FFS he is not up to the job at this level. Baird you say, FFS he is ok as a defensive covering player [RB] -  but not a midfielder!

So the problem arises when we lose either Huddlestone, Johnson or Kieftenbeld to injury or suspension, or god for bis we lose 2.

As Hardy used to say '' another fine mess''......

All doom and gloom in your house isn't it.

Just now, David said:

I don't know, but there must be a reason why we didn't let him out on loan again. Impressed at Port Vale by all accounts.

David IMO he ain't good enough mate I've seen a lot of him for the U23s .

People moaning about Butterfield and Bryson they were light years ahead of Callum Guy. 

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Hold on; so you want to have kept the players you've listed and, from comments on other threads, buy a load more at top money because you don't think we are ambitious enough?   The squad just needs to keep growing then? 

No if that's for me .

I wanted quality signings to replace if that's not too much to ask .

Some good rebuilding from GR in this window. Time will tell if prudent or not but what cant be disputed is that it was required & long overdue. Wages will be down, we are in credit & precedents have been set that no one is irreplaceable which can only be good for keeping players on their toes & breaking cliques in the dressing room.

The style of the team is changing - we can see that already - but we haven't got anywhere over the last 3 years with what had become a sterile & predictable slow paced brand of football. A more direct, pacy & hardworking team is fine with me. The moves Rowett has made remind me a little of the Bald Eagles first summer in the job moving out underachieving 'stars' like Short, Pembridge & Williams using the funds to bring in hardworking pros like Van der Laan, Powell & Rowett to fit the team ethos & style of play.

Now we just need a blockbuster signing in Jan to replicate the Stimac signing & we could all be in for a surprising season.....

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

Whenever a new manager comes in there is a brief honeymoon period. Eventually the manager makes the moves which define their tenure, and fans can see what they are about. Those moves have to work or they are in trouble.

there is now a general lack of belief in what gary is doing and if results go wrong, it will turn nasty fairly quickly.

he's either a genius or an idiot.

That's a pretty big statement about general disbelief.

Could it be that the people that are happy with what he is doing, or are willing to give him time before making judgement, aren't the first to want to make their views heard.

Just like after a match day defeat, it appears to be the more negative posters rushing to have their say.

Maybe if they stepped back for a minute and looked what was happening they may not be so angry.

Let's be honest, most had made their mind up what they thought of our signings the moment Jota signed for Birmingham. 

Over the past 3 seasons I've seen moans about not buying players to suit our system. It's quite obvious Rowett wants to play direct football, so why is everyone saying about us not having a creative midfielder? 

I've seen moans about the team mentality and how it needed breaking up yet as soon as we sell any of the old gang it appears it's the wrong decision. Was all of this 'we need to break up the team' code for we need to sell Keogh?

I've said on another thread that the negativity running through our fanbase is rotten, reaching epidemic proportions and the reaction to yesterday's transfer dealings just seem to confirm this.

On the field the jury is still out but off the field he's certainly forged a new team of quality players (tough and motivated) at a great price. Thus is what someone who works hard at their job gets you. Next match we may have Wisdom Davies Huddlestone Lawrence Winnall and kleft starting which is an incredible turnaround of a playing group in a short time.  If Thorne and Lowe get fit, Johnson can step it up a bit, and Vydra and Nugent can turn it on we are a seriously tough and dangerous team. 

Spending hasn't worked for us. Seriously, take a reality check. It hasn't worked. Why keep spending more and more every year if it's not working?

Even if we had a limitless pot of money, there are very good reasons to shop for bargains. Lower money signings and loans come with lower expectations and less pressure. They tend to come with less egos.

Look at how Brysons confidence was destroyed when he got a pay rise for example versus when he was in a plucky underdog team.

I said i had no idea what we were trying to do, and who would come in / out.

I still don't. 

would anyone else have wanted to swap our midfield for birmingham's?

all this ad hoc swapping and changing really does remind me of tommy doc

.........and thats not good. 

Midtable.       

Think there's some interesting possibilities out of these signings. 

I don't know anything about kieftenbeld and winnall so assume Gary is bringing in the pace and athleticism he has talked about.

Could provide those linkages we are missing. Someone between huddlestone and the 3. Maybe Martin might be reborn as a 10 in the centre of the 3 if he's got winnall to chase down the channels.

Got to give it a chance - the old crew were looking like they weren't going to thrive. 

31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's a pretty big statement about general disbelief.

General disbelief -maybe that is too strong - its hard to tell atm.

Everyone is waiting to see if it works. But if it doesn't.....then he has put himself under a lot of pressure.

Brave or stupid?

the jury is out.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

General disbelief -maybe that is too strong - its hard to tell atm.

Everyone is waiting to see if it works. But if it doesn't.....then he has put himself under a lot of pressure.

Brave or stupid?

the jury is out.

Of course, the more the squad begins to have the Rowett stamp put on it, then the more the responsibility lands at his door.

Just hope everyone, owner and fans alike, have a bit of patience and let him finish the job before judging him.

Ultimately I liked Bryson a lot, and when he still cared, Butterfield too. But they were on money they almost never justified and took those contracts on the understanding they'd take us to the next level. They didnt!

Let's see how Rowett does with new players that I presume he has signed because they buy into his plans.

Archived