Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

4 minutes ago, David said:

Last 20 years, how many seasons have we Derby fans been served up real entertaining to watch football week in week out?

Burley. McClaren 1.

DazWaz in places, that one first halt of a season under Nigel, apart from that not to much.

Billy's team got promoted and had moments of flair but were mostly "agricultural"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, David said:

Last 20 years, how many seasons have we Derby fans been served up real entertaining to watch football week in week out?

That's an empirical question worthy of statistical analysis, although based on a subjective sense of the aesthetic , but nonetheless worth doing.

I may get around to it...

13 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Burley. McClaren 1.

DazWaz in places, that one first halt of a season under Nigel, apart from that not to much.

Billy's team got promoted and had moments of flair but were mostly "agricultural"

And that's the point, we're not coming off the back of a Alex Ferguson tenure where he brought entertaining football week in week out over the course of 20+ years. We've had sprinkles of it with Steve McClaren recently raising the bar which he failed to match himself in his second spell.

We don't have this proud tradition of playing football on the deck, we've been through Phil Brown, Paul Jewell and Billy Davies who arguably served us up the most boring football we've had to witness for a number of years yet got us to where we want to be more recently.

Labelling Rowett as a hoofball merchant the minute a ball leaves the deck is harsh, yes we're playing more long balls, some hopeful yet from what I've seen so far it's been a real mix of passing which I for one would prefer to watch then the graceful crabs inch their way up the pitch looking for that inch perfect through ball. 

Rowett has had 0 games in charge of his squad. His first ever transfer window has just shut, 3 signings yet to even start a game. Does he not deserve maybe a few games more before writing off the season as a borefest already? 

Football is entertainment, yes fans should expect to be entertained for the £30 a ticket it costs to get in, don't like it don't watch and that's all perfectly acceptable. I just don't understand the philosophy moans when we've been a side with very little consistency over a number of years. Time to move on from 13/14, it's over, done.

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

That's an empirical question worthy of statistical analysis, although based on a subjective sense of the aesthetic , but nonetheless worth doing.

I may get around to it...

It's too early for words like empirical! Thank god for Google :p 

23 minutes ago, David said:

The frustration at the moment is that we seem to be in limbo. Stuck for three/four seasons just outside promotion success, but always threatening since 2014..

We have the players that if they really perform can take us up in some style, it's getting them all to click at the same time and to click as a team. Just hope MM doesn't tire of it.

GR can do it.

Still massively early days.

Just now, WhiteHorseRam said:

The frustration at the moment is that we seem to be in limbo. Stuck for three/four seasons just outside promotion success, but always threatening since 2014..

We have the players that if they really perform can take us up in some style, it's getting them all to click at the same time and to click as a team. Just hope MM doesn't tire of it.

GR can do it.

Still massively early days.

Agreed. We just need things to settle down for a couple seasons, fair to say the club has been through a lot over a short period of time after what was an age in football years under Clough.

Almost started a thread on this the other day but came off a bit ranty, week in week out we see "bang average", "mid table at best" on this forum, then it goes in to meltdown the minute we lose a game. Why, if we are bang average mid table at best then surely you have to lose games so it's kinda expected isn't it?

The players are not bang average at all or mid table at best, what they are is out of form and not playing as they are capable of doing and we know this hence the frustration, sell the lot.

When you don't/can't sell the lot, more frustration sets in as some of these players that haven't been on it for the last couple of seasons are still here, a growing number of fans find it difficult to support them and on their backs after a misplaced pass. Zero patience.

I don't want to defend the players to much as not adapting to a style straight away is understandable, a lack of effort isn't, but Will Hughes talked about himself struggling to adapt and as each manager walks through that door they will ask the players to do something else. It's never going to get the best out of any players.

What we need now as I say is for things to settle down, Rowett is the manager, this is how we play, in 6 months time a new manager won't walk through the door, you won't be left asking where do you fit in this team, this is a stable club.

Rowett may not serve up the most entertaining football we have ever seen but he's the only one that has come in and real made a start on changing this side up. He needs to be given the time and threads like this are just mind boggling as he's been here 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Definitely the McClaren Wembley season - weren't we top scorers in the league? We scored so many late goals at Pride Park, made all the better because the 

"family in front of me kept leaving on 82 minutes for some reason and missing all the action."

why do people do that?!

My friend left rams v Wednesday several years ago on 86th minute when Rams trailed 1:3. On arriving home he couldn't believe that he'd missed Malcolm Christie's double to make it 3:3. 

I don't know anyone more gutted than me at losing Will Hughes. I just can't get my head round any manager not wanting to build a team around him.

But, Gary has my full support. I'll judge him at the end of next season. By then i expect to have a committed and professional team, square pegs etc, maybe a tad reliant on athleticism rather than balletic flair, but a decent team nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I don't know anyone more gutted than me at losing Will Hughes. I just can't get my head round any manager not wanting to build a team around him.

But, Gary has my full support. I'll judge him at the end of next season. By then i expect to have a committed and professional team, square pegs etc, maybe a tad reliant on athleticism rather than balletic flair, but a decent team nonetheless.

Hoping so...the team have been very disjointed in their play since Gary took over so I'm hoping for a more settled team where their talents can show through..

Bit underwhelmed at the moment but let's wait and see.

2 hours ago, David said:

And that's the point, we're not coming off the back of a Alex Ferguson tenure where he brought entertaining football week in week out over the course of 20+ years. We've had sprinkles of it with Steve McClaren recently raising the bar which he failed to match himself in his second spell.

We don't have this proud tradition of playing football on the deck, we've been through Phil Brown, Paul Jewell and Billy Davies who arguably served us up the most boring football we've had to witness for a number of years yet got us to where we want to be more recently.

Labelling Rowett as a hoofball merchant the minute a ball leaves the deck is harsh, yes we're playing more long balls, some hopeful yet from what I've seen so far it's been a real mix of passing which I for one would prefer to watch then the graceful crabs inch their way up the pitch looking for that inch perfect through ball. 

Rowett has had 0 games in charge of his squad. His first ever transfer window has just shut, 3 signings yet to even start a game. Does he not deserve maybe a few games more before writing off the season as a borefest already? 

Football is entertainment, yes fans should expect to be entertained for the £30 a ticket it costs to get in, don't like it don't watch and that's all perfectly acceptable. I just don't understand the philosophy moans when we've been a side with very little consistency over a number of years. Time to move on from 13/14, it's over, done.

You are right, football is meant to be entertaining and Rowetts style of football is far from that. I wish him well and hope his football philosophy works for us, but I'm not prepared to pay premium prices to watch it. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Agreed. We just need things to settle down for a couple seasons, fair to say the club has been through a lot over a short period of time after what was an age in football years under Clough.

Okay as we are not concentrating on the league for a couple of seasons, we can finally try and progress as much as possible in one of those cups you seem to think get in the way of a promotion push?

Most supporters know that GR needs time to shape the team worthy of a challenge. The team currently has no rhythm/flow to it and hence the football on show has been quite poor at times. 

I for one won't be calling for his head but unfortunately results will dictate how long GR stays. What is my biggest worry is that GR himself stated before the season started that promotion would be the target. He also stated that he couldn't use the excuse that the players were not good enough. 

Statements like that have put him under immense pressure as we know our chairman can be trigger happy. Surely Mel will be expecting play offs at the very least on the back of them statements. 

I have seen nothing this season which has filled me with excitement so I'm resigned to mid-table mediocrity but what is Mel expecting because he will be the one who ultimately decides if Rowett is up to the job

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Okay as we are not concentrating on the league for a couple of seasons, we can finally try and progress as much as possible in one of those cups you seem to think get in the way of a promotion push?

No chance! :lol: 

Never suggested we give up on the league, no reason why we shouldn’t be pushing top 6 still. 

Cups can wait for when we become Stoke.

42 minutes ago, David said:

No chance! :lol: 

Never suggested we give up on the league, no reason why we shouldn’t be pushing top 6 still. 

Cups can wait for when we become Stoke.

I sometimes wonder in football whether managers/coaching staff try to hard.

I remember watching a documentary about Ericsson. In one of the first games England played under him they went behind. He just sat there being nonchalant and looking dandy in his designer coat. They were used to Keegan running up and down the touchline losing his ****.

They were all aware of Sven chilling, and the spirit was conveyed to the pitch and they went on to win.

A walk down the banks of Trent and a cup of Bovril, Brian Clough style, could do more good than frenzied bib-wearing dribbling around cones.

I said this before a couple of times on this forum - I would like to see 'mad minutes' in which the whole team attacks - I would like every player to have a pop at goal in every game. @Angry Ram added to this once that this would work as teams would be unable to work out where our goals were going to come from. Often we are too predictable on this front.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

My friend left rams v Wednesday several years ago on 86th minute when Rams trailed 1:3. On arriving home he couldn't believe that he'd missed Malcolm Christie's double to make it 3:3. 

And he was correct not to believe it...Burley and Hinchcliffe own goal ?

Archived