Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

12 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Very harsh criticism on Laporte for me. Yes he could have been tighter to Salah but they need to remember he’s a centre back being played at left back.

Thats one position Man City will need to rectify in the summer. Mendy will be back but he will need time after his long injury.

Man City aren’t far away, maybe a couple of players to win the champions league so they don’t need to spend a lot in the summer. 

Yeah another  £200m or so should be enough for a genius coach to fix it.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Just popped on to finally give Pep the credit he deserves.

What an achievement!

Folding like a lawn chair against inferior opposition in the knockout stages of the Champions League for the second year running!

Bravo, Pep.

Bravo!

:lol:

Aren't they only inferior because of Pep? Or does that go aainst your arguement?

Anything can happen in knockout tournaments. I wouldn't put it past City turning it around at the Etihad. 

25 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Aren't they only inferior because of Pep? Or does that go aainst your arguement?

Anything can happen in knockout tournaments. I wouldn't put it past City turning it around at the Etihad. 

No, Man City finished above Liverpool prior to Pep joining them and spending £500m on players.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You're quite right - anything can happen in a knockout tournament and you're quite right in saying that if City are as devastating for 30 minutes of the second leg as Liverpool were tonight, the balance of the tie can change.

I wish you'd stop following me around looking for vindication. Sometimes it's just better to accept that someone has a different opinion to you. I'm not a fan of Pep Guardiola and his body of work, irrespective of what he goes on to achieve this season.

I can say that a League and League Cup double in his second full season is a solid achievement in the circumstances. This is a coach and a manager who has had the financial backing and the media fanfare to suggest that he is capable of much more.

The dominant manner in which City are going to win the Premier League is impressive but it won't live long in the memory, because it's hard to imagine the other five teams in the top six being so uninspired and muddled next season.

But these running battles we keep having need to stop. I am enjoying a Liverpool victory far more than I should, and honestly I can't stand Liverpool. So let's just agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Liverpool  weren't three goals better than City.

Their first goal was offside, the 2nd goal was just a 25-yard potshot and the third came from two deflections falling for Salah. On refelction of the actual game, City had more shots, possession and corners. They defended poorly and gave the ball away unneccessarily. It was by their standards a poor performance.

But Liverpool weren't exactly outstanding, and they were fortunate Sane disappointed on three occasions where he failed to play a final ball leading to a goal where by his standards he should have done.

Bris, you sound like a Derby blind faith fan trying to be positive after a big defeat. Then someone like you would come along and point out how poor we actually were.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

So does @ronnieronalde.

Burton  Albion

Sheffield United

And the list is about to grow.

By the way, when he quits or gets fired from Burton I'm done. I hope he leaves English football and goes somewhere he'll enjoy lifestyle wise. I still think he'll end up having a crack at the MLS.

I can't be bothered anymore not even if he ends up at forest which you missed off that list as my first real love.

They say you never forget your first, they say never go back. I hope both of those things get to stay true in this case.

I think him going there and getting hounded out would make me hate them and their fans forever.

I dont want to have to do that.

Time for him to relax and enjoy his own life. 47 years inside the game, nearly 30 of those as player or manager for three clubs within 30 miles of each other.

He's had a very good career and I'll personally be relieved (still a touch disappointed of course) to see him retire healthy, reasonably wealthy and in good nick overall.

8 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

By the way, when he quits or gets fired from Burton I'm done. I hope he leaves English football and goes somewhere he'll enjoy lifestyle wise. I still think he'll end up having a crack at the MLS.

I can't be bothered anymore not even if he ends up at forest which you missed off that list as my first real love.

They say you never forget your first, they say never go back. I hope both of those things get to stay true in this case.

I think him going there and getting hounded out would make me hate them and their fans forever.

Time for him to relax and enjoy his own life. 47 years inside the game, nearly 30 of those as player or manager for three clubs within 30 miles of each other.

He's had a very good career and I'll personally be relieved (still a touch disappointed of course) to see him retire healthy, reasonably wealthy and in good nick overall.

man-fishing-on-boat-picture-id81265816

7 minutes ago, Norman said:

man-fishing-on-boat-picture-id81265816

You'd need to be a bit smarter than that Norman.

That's not even on league two of attempted wind ups. Anyone of a dozen of you could have written it pal and I saw it Cong a hundred miles away.

Still if you get your cheap kicks thinking you've won some imaginary internet fishing contest.

You knock yourself out pal. You got me good and proper.

@ronnieronalde do you think he’d ever be a director of football? 

Honestly believe that modern football has evolved so that DoFs are what managers used to be but without the say on a Saturday. 

He built us up, reduced wages, recruited well and had a clear philosophy but it really did get to the point in which he himself was holding back what he’d built. 

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I wonder if Lewandowski would be rated more highly if he played in a better league?

Ronaldo's last three seasons in the league

Played 88 scored 82 assists 22

Lewandowski's last three seasons in the league

Played 89 scored 86 assists 8

Messi's last three seasons in the league

Played 96 scored 89 assists 37

It's kind of the obvious that the Champions League is the be all and end all in terms of the Ballon d'Or. Messi has outshone Ronaldo in La Liga for a number of years now, in terms of goals, assists and trophies.

But Ronaldo's CL form is basically what wins him the individual honours. I don't understand why he's so much more prolific in Europe against supposedly better teams. In his last four games against Bayern and Juve he's scored 9 goals. Yet his last six games against Villarreal he has only scored two, both being penalties.

Maybe La Liga teams just know how to defend against him better, being used to him? Or maybe he isn't as motivated against a Real Betis or a Celta Vigo compared to those big nights when the whole world is watching.

I suppose Lewandowski is his closest challenger, but it is Ronaldo's CL form that sets him apart from everyone else in that position.  To be fair 82 goals in 88 games in La Liga isn't bad either. 

Messi on the other hand, doesn't have the attributes to play as a centre forward, so he can't really be compared to the other two. He's just not a serious aerial threat for obvious reasons.  No problem for him of course, given his superhuman talents in creating and finishing attacks from deeper positions.

7 hours ago, cannable said:

@ronnieronalde do you think he’d ever be a director of football? 

Honestly believe that modern football has evolved so that DoFs are what managers used to be but without the say on a Saturday. 

He built us up, reduced wages, recruited well and had a clear philosophy but it really did get to the point in which he himself was holding back what he’d built. 

I don't know him well enough these days to say for definite but no I don't think he'd go for a DOF role.

I think he thinks (and of course I agree) that he's suited and cut out to be the main man.

I don't think he'd be comfortable at all having someone else male the decisions team wise.

I also think he knows the managers role well enough to struggle with the idea of forcing another manager to live or die by decisions that aren't his.

Could be totally wrong of course and he might move upstairs at the pirelli over the summer, but I do have a sneaky feeling he might just have had enough of the crap that goes with modern UK football.

It's tough for me to admit/agree that he was holding Derby back and I dont think he'd see it that way. Again not wanting to rake up and old row but it's got to be tough for him as well to admit that.

I think he thinks he was on the verge of cracking it.

You boys can argue all day that he's delusional for thinking that , I won't argue that anymore.

24 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

It's tough for me to admit/agree that he was holding Derby back and I dont think he'd see it that way. Again not wanting to rake up and old row but it's got to be tough for him as well to admit that.

Managers have to have belief in what they are trying to achieve, if they don’t they are in the wrong job. I’m sure Nigel believes in time he would have taken Derby up and kept us there. Same as every manager that has walked through the doors of Pride Park recently.

As fans we can sit here and argue all day the would he or wouldn’t he’s, but it’s all a bit if my aunts had balls kind of stuff, nobody will ever know for sure what would have been. Pretty much why I try not to get attatched to managers/players too much, at some point Rowett will leave, as will Vydra, I could sit here and sulk, go into mourning or accept that’s how the game is now.

However miffed Nigel may sound today, a new job, fresh start and sceneary will get him going again. I don’t see a lot of reasons for him to stay at Burton, if they go down it’s a tough league to come up, even if they make it again Burton won’t be in a position to provide the financial power needed to stay up.

Sith Happens
11 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Do you think? Obviously i dont know him but family seems important to him so would seem a long way to go.

Burton are clearly down but hope he stays and tries to get them back up.

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

Disagree. It was said before the game that the Man City players were fearing for their safety and were worried that a repeat of what happened to Dortmund was going to happen.

It was bound to have an effect.

However, Guardiola's players were keen to play down the incident.

Captain Vincent Kompany said it "had no effect on us" and that it was something they have experienced before, while midfielder Kevin De Bruyne said there was "nothing wrong with it".

"It was OK," the Belgian said. "I don't mind supporters doing that - I've had it a couple of times for my team and it's a nice feeling. 

"I am fine with it as long as no one gets hurt. It doesn't change anything [for the players]. As long as you keep the violence down, there's nothing wrong with it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43648184

Archived