Confess your unpopular Rams opinions

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

1960s were half a century ago. Hardly like Leeds turned up last week as a Somebody.

No, but we existed 35 years before them and had been at the top end of division one and in a fair few cup finals by then .  Leeds wouldn't actually exist unless Huddersfield Town hadn't lent them money to save them in the 20's bet there fans love that .

I like the Championship and whilst I’m in my ‘lad’ years don’t mind staying down and would probably prefer relegation that promotion*

*not the process of relegation, more League One seems more of an enjoyable experience than the Prem

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

No, but we existed 35 years before them and had been at the top end of division one and in a fair few cup finals by then .  Leeds wouldn't actually exist unless Huddersfield Town hadn't lent them money to save them in the 20's bet there fans love that .

While all of this is true, it’s not like these facts remain in the conscience of the modern day football fan. We were founded before Queen Vicoria’s hairs went grey, but which club out of us and Leeds pulls more television viewers...

Not sure what us being historically bigger than Leeds when my great grandfather was a teen really proves. What matters is now. Doesn’t really matter if we were massive when the players trained by throwing medicine balls around, unless you’re someone who cares about history like you and I. Currently more people who follow the Premier League across the globe know about Bournemouth than Derby, and we need to fix that in the present. Not the past.

The Popeside was an awful place to watch the game.. Ossie End was better.

Away days are better than home games.

It annoys me that Pride Park is too similar to Boro’s ground and they were the first. I wanted it to be unique..

The South Stand ain’t all that.

Blue and white is better than black and white.

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

The Popeside was an awful place to watch the game.. Ossie End was better.

Burn the witch.

Away days are better than home games.

Probably yes, but when the rams fans are rocking it doesn’t matter if it’s home or away.

It annoys me that Pride Park is too similar to Boro’s ground and they were the first. I wanted it to be unique..

Would have been nice to have a unique ground, true.

The South Stand ain’t all that.

Never been, but much prefer a side view, a la Popside.

Blue and white is better than black and white.

A few years ago I would have agreed with you, but we’ve been back in black for long enough now to no longer agree.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

While all of this is true, it’s not like these facts remain in the conscience of the modern day football fan. We were founded before Queen Vicoria’s hairs went grey, but which club out of us and Leeds pulls more television viewers...

Not sure what us being historically bigger than Leeds when my great grandfather was a teen really proves. What matters is now. Doesn’t really matter if we were massive when the players trained by throwing medicine balls around, unless you’re someone who cares about history like you and I. Currently more people who follow the Premier League across the globe know about Bournemouth than Derby, and we need to fix that in the present. Not the past.

Couldn't tell you which club pulls in more television viewers to be honest .  Looking at now I still think were in a better position than Leeds as were both in this division . Some people look at the complete history of a club - others only go back to 1992 that's up to them . If Leeds were in the top 6 of the league yes they probably would get more through the gate but demographically the city is bigger .  Regarding the bigger picture we will always be bigger than Bournemouth in Scandanavia and at least we didn't think we won two European cups like Forest to find out they put Hamburg on the cup as winners instead of them - that bit of fun they had backfired this week.

The name Derby is really boring. Forest, Wednesday, Villa or Wolves all sound much better and have more individual character. 

It irritates me that derby games are called derby games, because any club can have one and that dilutes the uniqueness of our name. 

I dislike the expression, once a ram, always a ram, because it is meaningless and patently untrue. 

We don’t have a defining club song, or any good songs at all. Since I was young is also a bit annoying if you didn’t start watching football until you were forty. 

Queen are better than the Beatles, but Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine are better than both. 

5 hours ago, Lambchop said:

The name Derby is really boring. Forest, Wednesday, Villa or Wolves all sound much better and have more individual character.

Agreed. If people ask who you support even the sound of 'Darrbee' is lame.

It irritates me that derby games are called derby games, because any club can have one and that dilutes the uniqueness of our name. 

Kids always look excited when it mentions a massive Derby match on the radio, can this be little old us?...and then you gave to explain its Arsenal v Spurs.

I dislike the expression, once a ram, always a ram, because it is meaningless and patently untrue. 

Especially confusing when we are presumably named after a deer.

We don’t have a defining club song, or any good songs at all. Since I was young is also a bit annoying if you didn’t start watching football until you were forty. 

Steve Bloomer is ok for me. But we don't sing it during the game. Generally our songs are terrible, @Inverurie Ram etc try and come up with them but we invariably just revert to the same rubbish chants. Although tbf most football chants are pretty naff really.

Queen are better than the Beatles, but Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine are better than both. 

Fans of C USM, have you seen Ferocious Dog? Very good night out.

6 hours ago, Lambchop said:

53E552F3-C3C5-4D4E-80A9-AFC35715EA90.gif

We have got a song.. it ends "ohh wot a rotton song!"

Always makes me laugh tho that, as anyone under 25 would have never set foot in shaftsbury street!

I put something similar on page 6 of this thread.

In fairness though - when you go to games it's always 'The Rams' that's shouted over the tannoys and the Ram identity is everywhere. 

'The Mighty Rams' is cool as duck.

Whilst acknowledging how entertaining 13/14 was, Steve McClaren is the most over-rated manager in Derby's history. He achieved nothing & his win ratio % is artificially inflated by his failure to get us up & the talented squad he inherited.

Our away support outside of a 50 mile radius of Derby (and London) is very ordinary. Away support is the true measure of how 'big' a club is & this is where Leeds, Villa & Sheffield Wednesday stand out in our division.

Nottingham Forest are not worth the effort - they're a shambles on & off the pitch and have been for 20 years. It's like bullying the mouthy fat kid at school. By contrast, Leicester are streets ahead of us & are worth focusing on - I'd take their last 20 years in a heartbeat.

Our 'rivalry' with Leeds is embarrassing. We take on average less than 1500 there every year. Everyone hates them - we're not special in that sense & they get off on that.

Our repertoire of songs is very ordinary. Singing Dale Cavese is tinpot & every club in the league sings 'Since I was young'. 

Archived