Signed: Curtis Davies - 2 year + 1 (option), undisclosed fee

DEL

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Curtis Davies is 32 and trust me, since he hit 30, it shows. Steve Bruce lost faith in him, Mike Phelan had no choice but to use him and Marco Silva avoided him. He is now prone to pulling up with injuries after stretching. He'll limp on, because at heart he is not a quitter, and he's a great player with a good footballing brain, but he is nowhere near the player he was. He's free transfer material now, so any money to Hull is a good deal for them. I'd be surprised if he is a regular starter, and even more surprised if he lasts two years, never mind a third option year. Hull would have replaced him anyway, so he's gone looking for one last pay cheque, and found it at Derby. 

Why not just wish the lad good luck. Instead of this spiteful attack on a player that has been part of some of your best seasons in recent history.

Including two trips to Wembley!

Why oh why do fans get so twisted.

Guessing you'll boo the f..k out of him this coming season.

I just don't understand. 

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, swiftur said:

Very uninspiring 1st signing,thought rowett said young, hungry, mobile players were needed.DCFC pension fund attracts again.

Actually it could be very inspiring - for other players thinking of joining us? A good first signing, putting down a big statement of intent!

7 minutes ago, swiftur said:

Very uninspiring 1st signing,thought rowett said young, hungry, mobile players were needed.DCFC pension fund attracts again.

Just noticed where you're sat in Pride Park. You must be that moaning, whingeing git sat a couple of rows behind me.

Just now, Alpha said:

He's not got a season ticket has he. Because I've seen what we can do and it's not top 6 stuff never mind top 2.

Agreed, however he can't just say we're in for a season of mid table mediocrity on his first day!

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Agreed, however he can't just say we're in for a season of mid table mediocrity on his first day!

:lol: "I look around this dressing room and I can't wait to finish 10th, it was a no brainer for me"

28 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Just a thought , but do you think Davies could possibly have been signed with a back 3 in mind ? Played plenty of times in a back 3 for Hull .

Carson

Keogh      shackell    Davies 

That would imply we would play with wing backs; i.e. Christie rather than Baird at RB. I'd like that but from what Christie says, Rowett likes his full backs to be more defensive. So I doubt we'll be playing with wing backs

1 minute ago, feisty said:

That would imply we would play with wing backs; i.e. Christie rather than baird at RB. I'd like that but from what Christie says, Roweet likes his full backs to be more defensive. So I doubt we'll be playing with wing backs

I agree-strongly suspect Christie won't be first choice rb this season

18 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

You're right on the Baird point. Think Owen Bradley tweeted about being interested and 30 mins later he was announced. Sense that now that Rowett is controlling transfers, we might get a lot less leaks (no problem with that).

Lots of things to like about the Davies signing. Leader, experience, plays predominately on the left-hand side of the two centre halves. Also, if memory serves me right from times I've watched him play, he's not too bad on the ball. Would complement a tougher, slower centre-half well (possibly Hanley?).

This is what interests me. As a fan i didnt think it was important when i was younger and less knowledgable about the game. But ive seen many good CBs have problems adapting when being asked to play the role less familiar. Buxton, Shackell, Pearce all played the left of the 3 which seemed to suggest Keogh was always on the team sheet. Does it suggest the same thing again, we will have to see. Im sure one of keogh, shackell and pearce will be leaving us now however.

30 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Just a thought , but do you think Davies could possibly have been signed with a back 3 in mind ? Played plenty of times in a back 3 for Hull .

Carson

Keogh      shackell    Davies 

If we sign Wisdom then it's certainly worth a look at. I'd prefer Keogh as the centre centre back in a back 3 like Luiz does for Chelsea because any mistakes he would make would be covered and he can bring the ball out from the back. Maybe something like this:

Carson

Wisdom  Keogh   Davies

Anya           Thorne  Johnson     Forsyth

Ince

Martin       Nugent

In the tougher games where we need more possession and control, drop one of Nugent or Martin for Hughes then push Ince higher up. 

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

500k for a 33 year old does seem like bit of a rip off but at least he not cost a lot to land him.

He's 32 b4 and how is it 'bit of a rip off' then? It's bargain. 

Actually I hope Davies does well at Derby, and I would hate for him to be seen by Derby fans in a lesser light than he is at Hull, he deserves better than that. Read again, there is no spite in my comments, I really like the bloke,  it's just a realistic appraisal of Davies as a player now. If he plays I will cheer him on and hope he does well. He reads the game superbly well, is a leader when he is on the pitch and yes, he served Hull brilliantly. And yes, I do come from Hull, hence the name, but I have a Derby membership as I live nearer to Derby. So my comments are directed not because I've got the hump over Davies leaving Hull, but because I want to see improvements to a side that should be in the Premier league. The Davies of 2017 and beyond will not improve the side above where it finished last season, and he would almost certainly have been moved on at Hull this coming season anyway. The Hull fans will hate that he has gone to a rival, especially one that is probably currently stronger than Hull, but will be hopeful of signing better when a new manager is appointed. Davies was a key part of Hull's recent successes, and he appears to have enjoyed it, and the fans have certainly got the utmost respect for him. But make no mistake, the ideal move for him would have been to a lower division where is reading of the game would have compensated for what he has lost and from there into coaching. He definitely has manager potential. 

If Christies interview told us one thing, that he's a porky teller or Rowett prefers defensive minded full backs. That rules out this 3 at the back. 

I like the sound of it, but seems unlikely. 

Any thinking would be who plays beside him, I don't seem him joining to sit on the bench. Sure he will have been not guaranteed but told he's here to start.

11 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Yeah i thought he played for England too but Wikipedia says not?? But then i also thought he played for spurs as well so I've obviously got it all wrapped around my bollokcs for a change.

Apparently, he got an England call up but never actually got a cap, that's why it confused me too.

Archived