Alan Nixon summer 2017

RiddingsRam

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Aiden McGeady 10 goals 15 assists in 3 seasons and 4 years older.

gareth McCleary 17 goals 15 assists in 3 seasons and 3 years older

johnny Russell 21 goals 30 assists in 3 seasons and 27 years old

so Johnny Russell is better then those you mentioned. Already done Lawrence.

anymore? Or shall we start appreciating some of our own players instead of everyone else's?!

We have better quality than Preston surely. Mcgeady would have had a field day with some of these players around him, 9 of those assists are from last season alone, prior to his Preston loan he's either been injured or made to rott in Everton reserve since 2014. Had nothing to lose at a mere 500k

Russell has been here for several years, could be argued with him being 27 he should be in the best form of his life...he's not. He's gone backwards. He was a striker prior to joining us,  yet his finishing is on par with a bloody centre halves.

He isn't doing much to impress throughout these pre season games neither. Whilst I am convinced the fancy star tattoo's, a bit of charisma, the sazzy Zak Dingle beard, a lovely back flip goal celebration and the goal against Florist makes people see a player differently regardless of their actual ability with a football

Overall Russell has been a very good signing but if he's going to be a regular starter next season then we can't have a repeat of last season - we just can't. Whoever fills that wide attacking role needs to be contributing 8 to 10 goals to justify selection. He's proved he is capable, I'm just not sure we've seen the best of JR, half dozen games into the new campaign will possibly tell. Rowett appears to be a fan of his but I hope he has an alternative if there's no improvement on last term.

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Overall Russell has been a very good signing but if he's going to be a regular starter next season then we can't have a repeat of last season - we just can't. Whoever fills that wide attacking role needs to be contributing 8 to 10 goals to justify selection. He's proved he is capable, I'm just not sure we've seen the best of JR, half dozen games into the new campaign will possibly tell. Rowett appears to be a fan of his but I hope he has an alternative if there's no improvement on last term.

Totally agree with this. Let's not forget 3 managers, several styles of play and formations didn't help anyone as highlighted by our goalie being the POTY. 

I think quite a few of our players will have better seasons this year

3 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Last season I totally agree, the three before that (9,6 and 9 goals) I can't really agree with. It's in black and white print. I'm not his biggest fan but we can't ignore facts just to suit an argument. 

I think 9 6 and 9 goals is pretty average definitely not something to rave about and what were his assists in those seasons (I havnt checked so this could prove me wrong if hes had a load but I don't remember that many)

16 minutes ago, PastRAMi said:

I think 9 6 and 9 goals is pretty average definitely not something to rave about and what were his assists in those seasons (I havnt checked so this could prove me wrong if hes had a load but I don't remember that many)

Let's take 9 goals for a wide man as being average, not very good and compare with previous seasons.

Last season only 6 wide players scored more than 9 league goals all season (Knockaert 14, Ince 13, Ritchie 12, Jota 12, Kachunga 11 and Costa 10)

15/16 season no player scored more than 9 goals starting from a wide position (or coming on as a sub) 2 players scored 9 goals, Ince and Russell

14/15 season again only 6 scored more than 9 (Ritchie 15, Sako 14, Antonio 12, Jota 11, Ince 11 and Daryl Murphy 10)

13/14 season one player scored more than 9 goals, Adomah with 12.

Maybe a rethink is needed of what is pretty average?

Assists Russell has registered 21 in the 4 seasons he has been here. Martin has achieved 21, Bryson 18 (13 of which were in 13/14 season) Ince 15.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Is that the one where he slipped over in the first half?

Not sure if he slipped but it fell right to him. Kind of sums up his last two seasons, right positions just the conviction on the finish or cross. He can pull off magic but it seems to be diminishing as every season goes by.

Just now, tomsdubs said:

Not sure if he slipped but it fell right to him. Kind of sums up his last two seasons, right positions just the conviction on the finish or cross. He can pull off magic but it seems to be diminishing as every season goes by.

Just watched some of the highlights again, and just as he is about to shoot he slips. I don't think it was any worse than Johnson's miss earlier in the game.

Russell became productive at the end of the season under Rowett, actually scored a goal and got two assists against Wolves at the end of the season.

Looked better under Rowett because he basically got hung out to dry under Mac, where we clearly didn't have a cohesive attacking plan outside of 'give it to Ince, cross it to Bent' and he got out on the left where he's not as good. Couldn't link up with a striker when we all know playing a 4-3-3 you really need a striker the wingers can play off.

You can't peddle the 'trust Rowett' narrative and want Russell out.

He's clearly a player he rates, he tried to bring him to Birmingham what felt like every transfer window and played him consistently in different positions when he came in at the end of the season. He's the closest thing we have to a Rowett player out of the squad we already had here.

It's the same situation as Keogh, he's been in the team consistently under multiple managers and we've never improved on him, so fans get bored and want him out. It's change for changes sake because people are bored of him. There's also this weird resentment of him because he's a 'nice guy' that some fans blindly adore.

I'm not saying he should be a starter, I'd prefer if we brought in a couple new wingers but he clearly has a role to play in the larger context of the squad.

4 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Last 2 seasons? 11 goals 11 assists in all competitions 15-16 season mate.

if that was knockaert or Ritchie you would be salivating over him. 

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

Last 2 seasons? 11 goals 11 assists in all competitions 15-16 season mate.

if that was knockaert or Ritchie you would be salivating over him. 

He's just alright, doesn't seem to have the same impact on games as those big names. He scores and assists well when the team are going good but doesn't really impact when we are struggling. Those bigger names win games on their own. He's just a decent champ winger.

Archived