Alan Nixon summer 2017

RiddingsRam

12 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Not sure if he slipped but it fell right to him. Kind of sums up his last two seasons, right positions just the conviction on the finish or cross. He can pull off magic but it seems to be diminishing as every season goes by.

He slipped otherwise he'd have scored by then. 

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barcelona have an average of 17.1 shots per game. Shots on target is 7.1. Bang average that is.

our players definitely get worse the longer they are here no matter what the stats say!

suprised we ain't been relegated every year with this lot!

2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Johnny Russell has better stats over the last 3 seasons than all the players linked to us.

not arguing FOR Russell btw as he's been pretty pants during preseason.

Not for goals he doesn't, which is the hardest thing to replace especially in wide areas and why being linked to Lawrence is promising. As much as I love Johnny, if he had any sort of end product he'd be playing in the Prem by now

23 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Not for goals he doesn't, which is the hardest thing to replace especially in wide areas and why being linked to Lawrence is promising. As much as I love Johnny, if he had any sort of end product he'd be playing in the Prem by now

Read back, he's +2 for goals and +11 for assists over Lawrence over last 3 seasons and a fair few of Lawrence's goals were in the PL2 under 23's.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Let's take 9 goals for a wide man as being average, not very good and compare with previous seasons.

Last season only 6 wide players scored more than 9 league goals all season (Knockaert 14, Ince 13, Ritchie 12, Jota 12, Kachunga 11 and Costa 10)

15/16 season no player scored more than 9 goals starting from a wide position (or coming on as a sub) 2 players scored 9 goals, Ince and Russell

14/15 season again only 6 scored more than 9 (Ritchie 15, Sako 14, Antonio 12, Jota 11, Ince 11 and Daryl Murphy 10)

13/14 season one player scored more than 9 goals, Adomah with 12.

Maybe a rethink is needed of what is pretty average?

Assists Russell has registered 21 in the 4 seasons he has been here. Martin has achieved 21, Bryson 18 (13 of which were in 13/14 season) Ince 15.

That's a very interesting read and I will accept that on those stats he seems not just to be average.

However, this just shows what a great player he could be because he gets into so many good positions for an easy cross,  far post header or tap in that he fluffs match after match and it's so infuriating.  

Having said that I'm all for cheering him on and hoping he can be a little more consistent. 

COJR 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

If that were true then so might we ?

5 hours ago, Papahet said:

It didn't go in? that's not going to change my mind; his finishing for an attacking player is appalling.

Plenty of effort, very little quality. Russell and Weimann are too similar 

But Russell and wieman are two of the best in the league when you actually look at it

1 hour ago, PastRAMi said:

That's a very interesting read and I will accept that on those stats he seems not just to be average.

However, this just shows what a great player he could be because he gets into so many good positions for an easy cross,  far post header or tap in that he fluffs match after match and it's so infuriating.  

Having said that I'm all for cheering him on and hoping he can be a little more consistent. 

COJR 

He is also one of those that actually wins a penalty and not by cheating either

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

So would Lawrence and he hasn't been

3 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Read back, he's +2 for goals and +11 for assists over Lawrence over last 3 seasons and a fair few of Lawrence's goals were in the PL2 under 23's.

Interesting stats tbf. Reading back now, Russell getting 9, 8 and 10 goals in each of the seasons before last respectively is a good tally; perhaps a quiet season by his own standards masks otherwise very good stats for us?

I like Russell, his work-rate is exceptional, as is his defensive cover usually but last season he seemed to be less interested, here's to hoping Rowett can bring out his best again

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

But Russell and wieman are two of the best in the league when you actually look at it

2 of the best what though? If you were alluding to getting into a promising position then the final delivery or shot being totally wasteful then I would absolutely concur with your appraisal of Russell in particular 

9 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Interesting stats tbf. Reading back now, Russell getting 9, 8 and 10 goals in each of the seasons before last respectively is a good tally; perhaps a quiet season by his own standards masks otherwise very good stats for us?

I like Russell, his work-rate is exceptional, as is his defensive cover usually but last season he seemed to be less interested, here's to hoping Rowett can bring out his best again

Yep and people just seem to get excited by the prospect of shiny new things. He had a really poor season by his standards, but so did everyone in the squad other than Carson, Keogh and Ince. And it says a lot that we've signed Dawkins, Ibe, Lingard, Ince, Weimann, Blackman, Camara and Anya since Russell joined and only one of those has been better than Russell. It's easy to say yeah just get him sold and replace him, but there's no guarantees the player we bring in to replace him will be better. 

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Yep and people just seem to get excited by the prospect of shiny new things. He had a really poor season by his standards, but so did everyone in the squad other than Carson, Keogh and Ince. And it says a lot that we've signed Dawkins, Ibe, Lingard, Ince, Weimann, Blackman, Camara and Anya since Russell joined and only one of those has been better than Russell. It's easy to say yeah just get him sold and replace him, but there's no guarantees the player we bring in to replace him will be better. 

IMG_0192.JPG

Russell is at his peak, Lawrence is obviously still developing. Last season was just another step to reaching his maximum wherever that may be. Comparing the stats of a youth player loaned out vs an experienced pro at the top of his game show how people over simplify things. Lawrence will be a better player eventually than Russell IMO, if he kicks on from last season he could well get 15 goals in a season for us.

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Russell is at his peak, Lawrence is obviously still developing. Last season was just another step to reaching his maximum wherever that may be. Comparing the stats of a youth player loaned out vs an experienced pro at the top of his game show how people over simplify things. Lawrence will be a better player eventually than Russell IMO, if he kicks on from last season he could well get 15 goals in a season for us.

I don't think it's quite clear cut like that, there's only 4 years between them! JR was banging in goals on a regular basis for the years that TL is currently being judged on, for a bit of contrast. TL aint a kid anymore, 24 this season and he's had one good year in his career, the few people that have mentioned that just want it considered before others discard a decent player with a decent scoring record for what is currently a one season wonder. 

Regardless, I agree with the Lawrence to be better than Johnny eventually bit, looks to have plenty of potential still.

13 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

See I think you NEARLY made a really good point here - But obviously Keogh is terrible - Worst player ever - Should be right out the door - Can't believe we still have him - I know this for fact because I've read it on this forum

:ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I don't think it's quite clear cut like that, there's only 4 years between them! JR was banging in goals on a regular basis for the years that TL is currently being judged on, for a bit of contrast. TL aint a kid anymore, 24 this season and he's had one good year in his career, the few people that have mentioned that just want it considered before others discard a decent player with a decent scoring record for what is currently a one season wonder. 

Regardless, I agree with the Lawrence to be better than Johnny eventually bit, looks to have plenty of potential still.

Thing is why do people think everyone wants rid of Russell? I don't. I just don't think he's enough to get us up, does a job but we need more. Lawrence last season had a bit of magic, scored some screamers and scared the life out of defenses. Johnny just didn't do that enough, he had some decent games but he's very steady. Ince was a cut above some games and we've lost that now, he won us games on his own sometimes. Russell isn't a player that can do that lately. Russell, Anya, Weimann are alright but we need something extra and I think Lawrence has that. He did it for Ipswich in a poor side.

Archived