Alan Nixon summer 2017

RiddingsRam

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

GR said prior to the Ince sale that if we were to sell him he had a very very high quality replacement for him. 

He wouldn't have said it if he didn't think he had something in place though , things change quickly in football.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

GR said prior to the Ince sale that if we were to sell him he had a very very high quality replacement for him. 

He may have spent the money on very very high quality desk for his office, or a new Top spec Range Rover?

Either that or he was fibbing and us numpties fell for it.

2 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Or be careful not to promise something that isn't within your power to deliver. 

Particularly fickle footballers /agents/clubs. 

The main issue, beyond anything that's been mentioned, is the very definition of what he said. I believe what he said, and I also believe what he said isn't what appears to be the definition most of the fans here are prescribing too. I can't see it being the type of marquee playing people are for some reason craving (despite seeing it failing in the near past), however, it is likely to be a good player, that you may not know a lot about, which is going to fit well in this team.

Has our manager simply not given an opinion that might not match a fans? He hasn't "promised" anything, more said the player will be of a high standard. Now his opinion of which players can be called this standard may differ from others.

Say we signed a young kid on loan from the prem? Gary might think he is a very talented, very good signing, fans might think he is a nobody and only on loan.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He may have spent the money on very very high quality desk for his office, or a new Top spec Range Rover?

How much do you think a Range Rover costs?!?!?! I think you'd get a fairly decent one for less than £150k

Maybe he's buying an entire fleet of Range Rovers? To block the entrance to the stands - So that none of us can be there to complain for the first home game of the season where he unveils someone from Ilkeston as his marquee signing

1 hour ago, Srg said:

The main issue, beyond anything that's been mentioned, is the very definition of what he said. I believe what he said, and I also believe what he said isn't what appears to be the definition most of the fans here are prescribing too. I can't see it being the type of marquee playing people are for some reason craving (despite seeing it failing in the near past), however, it is likely to be a good player, that you may not know a lot about, which is going to fit well in this team.

Ince was a proven goalscorer in this division, so naturally anyone that is deemed a worthy replacement would have to be proven at the same level or higher which would therefore, by nature, make him a marquee signing.

It's not necessarily panic-buying someone like Blackman based on a short term record but buying someone based on proven quality of a similar (if not higher) standard than Ince...

13 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Ince was a proven goalscorer in this division, so naturally anyone that is deemed a worthy replacement would have to be proven at the same level or higher which would therefore, by nature, make him a marquee signing.

It's not necessarily panic-buying someone like Blackman based on a short term record but buying someone based on proven quality of a similar (if not higher) standard than Ince...

Martin?

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Don't think Wolves would sell to a fellow Championship club.

Or is it Fulham?

I am currently using a misery guts phone which doesn't let me 'like' posts, so I owe you one.

He'll choose the "London pull" probably of Fulham.

Go to London Sheyi, I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

22 minutes ago, eddie said:

Martin?

yes, I forgot Fulham transformed Martin into a winger :lol:

Jokes aside, your point is valid in that Martin's goal input should match, if not surpass, Ince's; but what's slightly more worrying is that Ince was our only winger with any sort of end product so despite his goals being replaced, we're left with a dip in quality with our wide players. This is why, ideally, i'm sure we'd all like to see 2 wingers come in (Lawerence + Ojo would do nicely!)

Archived