Steve McClaren

DEL

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Brighton stuck with Hughton cos he showed signs that he was a few tweaks away from success.

I think that McClaren has proven to be similar. He should be allowed to mould his own team. If we keep chopping and changing, we will end up never having a balanced squad in the style of whichever manager is in charge.

I hate to mention him, but Nigel Clough had 5 years and never showed any sign of inspiring a challenge, McClaren did it twice in the first 6 months of both spells.

Totally disagree.  

He needs to go. 

11 hours ago, Archie said:

I don't think wholesale changes are necessary- offloading quite a few yes absolutely but to the starting 11 and in my view:

new RB first choice

new CB first choice, captain perhaps

new midfield general

new left winger/inside left

I would agree with you on the first 3 Archie but I think its a first choice right winger (and backup) we need.
We have far too many naturally left-sided players.
Ince, Russell, Camara, Anya(?), Johnson, Blackman - all used as 'wide' players.
We still haven't replaced Jamie Ward - that's why we are so unbalanced.
There is no option to swap wings and do something different - which is what Ward and Russell did so often.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

with all respect, you're such a attention seeking flip-flop, I sadly have no actual respect for your opinion. You wanted Pearson badly.

I didn't want Pearson and you know that so stop casting aspersions.

I wanted Rowett it's on record on here. 

McClaren has to go before he wears out Blackburn tunnel pacing up and down and throwing bottles around according to RD. 

How can the players be to blame now and not with other managers answer that one. 

McClaren is past is best and old hat. 

PS You also know I wanted Clement to stay and that's on record on here 

11 hours ago, valleyram said:

Any time derby are behind in a game I do not expect a draw now let alone a win , he's clueless and hasn't a clue what his best 11 is and the season is about over , well it is over 

Of course it's over, it never really began. 

This squad isn't good enough to get promoted, so why is everyone throwing their toys out the pram because we aren't in a promotion race that we aren't good enough to be part of?

Imagine if we somehow fluked a play-off place and won. This team even with new signings would be destroyed in the Prem.

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Brighton stuck with Hughton cos he showed signs that he was a few tweaks away from success.

I think that McClaren has proven to be similar. He should be allowed to mould his own team. If we keep chopping and changing, we will end up never having a balanced squad in the style of whichever manager is in charge.

I hate to mention him, but Nigel Clough had 5 years and never showed any sign of inspiring a challenge, McClaren did it twice in the first 6 months of both spells.

Hughton took Newcastle United up as Champions and looks set to get B&HA promoted this season. The best McClaren's achieved is a play-off final defeat. Being top in February counts for less than nothing when you're seventh after 46 matches.

11 hours ago, SWRam said:

I would just like to know how many times McClaren has the word 'Sacked' on his CV?

Probably no more times than quite a few manager that have been in the game as long as he has. Most managers contracts end with a sacking, it's the nature of the beast. 

I'm surprised people are so shocked that we're having the same problems we have done over the last few years, when we've got the same core group of players and the same manager. Why hasn't SMC got a plan B? When did he ever?

The club has got to make the decision to either back SMC over the summer and let him really change this squad, because it's well below par, or you go in a different direction and hope someone else can do a better job. I personally hope its the former. SMC is a decent manager, but he's got a unbalanced squad with no fight and not a lot of talent really. 

Feel sorry for players like Hughes & Ince the most. Wouldn't be surprised to see them looking for moves in the summer. Deserve to be playing at a much higher level. 

Just now, ROKERITE said:

Hughton took Newcastle United up as Champions and looks set to get B&HA promoted this season. The best McClaren's achieved is a play-off final defeat. Being top in February counts for less than nothing when you're seventh after 46 matches.

Hughton had a PL quality squad at Newcastle. McClaren took a stagnant and uninspiring squad to Wembley and was unlucky to lose. He's also taken a side from bottom 6 to top 6 this season, before the mental weaknesses kicked in again. Hughton's last couple of seasons are no better than McClaren's! 

So, as I said, the signs have been there, including drubbing of Hughton's side in the play off before losing that final! 

11 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

None of us are really in a position to make a knowledgable call as to wether he stays or goes. Personally if he feels he has a plan going forward I am in favour of giving him the close season, pre-season and then see how next season unfolds.

You can be certain Mel is very much involved with Steves inner thoughts on his way forward and his view of the players and their value. If Mel smells that Steve hasn't got a way forward then he will be gone. If he he feels he has a way forward which involves getting rid of the freeloaders without costing Mel mega bucks then he may be given a chance. Make no mistake this isn't easy. 

Speaking to Owen Bradley tonight after the game Steve eluded to the fact he presents to us differently to the players privately and hinted that he has known all along the squad isn't good enough. If this is true he will have been required by Mel to have the way forward. This needs to be understood. 

Basically Steve now has a massive job on his hands to convince Mel and Sam that he has a plan and a formula. 

A perceptive comment amongst a sea of *****. 

Feeling like a broken record, but here goes.

Constant change in management is what's got us in this situation. We've got three managers worth of systems and players to strip out first, and find players to fit. It's going to be a tough ask. Consistency starts at the top.

However, if we are talking of replacing Mac, then I would look to Warburton.

Far more potential for punnery, let him prove himself here and watch us rise up the table.

Can't believe how panicky people are. Give him a summer transfer window and see what happens next season. Let get a couple of top drawer season loans in. 

I would think more pressure will be on Rush after our awful recruitment over the last few years. 

29 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Constant change in management is what's got us in this situation. We've got three managers worth of systems and players to strip out first, and find players to fit. It's going to be a tough ask. Consistency starts at the top.

Far more potential for punnery, let him prove himself here and watch us rise up the table.

At yeast you're making sense. 

11 hours ago, toddy said:

Don't worry everything will be OK once the wardrobe comes back.:whistle:

Yes I am being flippant,  as we lack any creativity in midfield- even with Martin back the results would be the same, the problems are bigger than Chris Martin not being here.

Let Mac sort out all those that he feels are not good enough for this club and rebuild in the summer.

We need stability here not knee jerk reactions.

Mac has to have a full season to get a side together capable of running for promotion.

Please remember we are currently an average championship team and know more than this.

Toddy what are you saying man?! How dare you be sensible and almost reasonable about Chrissy! :p Spot on btw.

12 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Give him a proper go next season and hopefully he'll put it right. Some of the players aren't his anyway. Please please please back him guys! 

STEVE MAC BARMY ARMY ??

Well done mate. Many of the usual suspects, who were conspicuous in their absence when things were going great, are out in force. I know they hate to see the club doing well, so enjoy it while you can you miserable gits, it won't last.

31 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I'll have a slice of what your having.

10 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Is it Steve McClown doing a runner? or is it is best mate Alpha on his way to Saudi to watch his mate Clattenburg referee?

At least when it p1sses it down we no longer have to worry about bumping into the wally with the brolly, more chance of bumping into McClown in town with his suitcase. I wonder if he keeps his leather A4 folder in it?

2j5zwxd.jpg

wally with the lolly..........and it's all Derby's lolly, once again!

Only in Britain would a man be ridiculed for using an umbrella when it's raining.  "Wally with the Brolly". Yeah, what a fool.  Everyone knows you stand there and get soaked to the skin.

The sheer hostility some people have to Steve McClaren confuses me.  Especially the criticism of his management record.  For information here are Derby County's managers for the last 40 years (excluding caretaker managers):

Tommy Docherty

Colin Addison

John Newman

Peter Taylor

Roy McFarland

Arthur Cox

Roy McFarland

Jim Smith

Colin Todd

John Gregory

George Burley

Phil Brown

Billy Davies

Paul Jewell

Nigel Clough

Steve McClaren

Paul Clement

Nigel Pearson

Steve McClaren

Docherty won the League Cup with Chelsea and the FA Cup with Man Utd and, besides that, none of the others on that list have won a league title or a domestic cup as a manager.  Apart from Steve McClaren, of course.  Which is to say that he's got the best managerial record in terms of trophies won of any Derby manager for the last 40 years.  If his critics maintain that his track record isn't good enough, God knows what they must have though of his predecessors.

Archived