Steve McClaren

DEL

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mel Morris is to blame for this mess ultimately, he brought that clown Pearson in and let some nobody flash our cheque book around buying rubbish. Then bringing Mac back when majority of the players aren't even his and only having one window to work with was always going to be a failing season right from the outset again I'd say. If he was to leave give this job to Gary Rowett.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
6 hours ago, Ibby said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mel Morris is to blame for this mess ultimately, he brought that clown Pearson in and let some nobody flash our cheque book around buying rubbish. Then bringing Mac back when majority of the players aren't even his and only having one window to work with was always going to be a failing season right from the outset again I'd say. If he was to leave give this job to Gary Rowett.

Not Mel Morris fault... He's only brought in the fans choices . Unfortunately the fans choices have turned out to be the wrong ones. 

I'm going to give MAC time. He looks as furious as I do with what is happening. They're clearly not following his instructions.

if I was him, we are not going down, tell those that don't fit that they're surplus to requirements and that he'll play them until the end of the season to put them in the shop window. Either loan out or sell as many as we can that don't suit how we want to play. 

Then look at where we can fill gaps with academy products (I don't mean first teamers but for the league cup why not utilise them a bit more instead of making whole sale changes to players that aren't hungry?) 

then highlight young, hungry players from lower teams/loans from prem teams. No 'proven quality' can't remember the last time I've been happy with a proven quality signing - hoping Nugent is the one that changes that. 

Sam and Mac need to cancel their holidays this summer - they're going to be too busy! 

I really don't think that changing manager would make any difference. We've now changed manager 4 times in under 2 seasons, and not once has the grass been greener. Over the past couple of seasons we've brought in a lot of average players who were no better than what we already had, but with the disadvantage of not fitting our system. That's where I think our problem lies, and not with the manager. 

This season has seen our team lack any sort of creativity. We can hold on to the ball well, definitely, but we can't convert the amount of time we hold the ball in to chances. We're relying so heavily on Ince to create something for himself or for someone to put something on a plate for Darren Bent. 

Hopefully in the summer we will recruit the right players for our team. Having Chris Martin return will definitely be a positive for the team as he has shown and proven that he works well under McClaren. Let's just see how McClaren does once he has players he wants in his side. 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

How is he failing? His job remits would have been...

- steer clear of relegation places - achieves

- Get the team scoring again - acheived

- Improve team performances - achieved

- Improve player performances - achieved

- Give fans something to cheer about again - achieved

LMAO - Now that is funny!

43 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I'm going to give MAC time. He looks as furious as I do with what is happening. They're clearly not following his instructions.

if I was him, we are not going down, tell those that don't fit that they're surplus to requirements and that he'll play them until the end of the season to put them in the shop window. Either loan out or sell as many as we can that don't suit how we want to play.

Then look at where we can fill gaps with academy products (I don't mean first teamers but for the league cup why not utilise them a bit more instead of making whole sale changes to players that aren't hungry?)

then highlight young, hungry players from lower teams/loans from prem teams. No 'proven quality' can't remember the last time I've been happy with a proven quality signing - hoping Nugent is the one that changes that.

Sam and Mac need to cancel their holidays this summer - they're going to be too busy!

sort of agree with this. I wouldn't say to put them in the shop window I would say to see if they can show they are a good enough (failing to show would then lead to Transfer listing them)

9 minutes ago, Simsy said:

sort of agree with this. I wouldn't say to put them in the shop window I would say to see if they can show they are a good enough (failing to show would then lead to Transfer listing them)

I'd be honest with them. "You're good players but you're not in my plans, you've got 3 months to earn yourself a move away. I hope you utilise this opportunity and appreciate that you could have been left warning the bench" 

9 hours ago, valleyram said:

He's a joke 

9 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

No you're the jokes. 

Reasoned debate.. I like it ?

Thought it was crazy to imagine we'd chop the manager again but I would believe anything at the moment.

Like other people have said if he is just being to keep it together for now and Steve has privately been saying 'I know the players arent good enough...I want him, him him out...and I'm looking at bringing in players like him and him to play this system' then you have to give him chance.

If he is genuinely just as bemused as he appears then I'd be worried if I were Mel about giving him money and time.

Mac will be at Dcfc next season, if nothing else just to give Mel some continuity. This season should have been a total reboot but Pearson couldn't get it right. So the rebuild meter is reset to zero again. It will probably take a couple of seasons, just in terms of moving on a significant number of players. Next season will be another tough mid table affair, but changing manager again is not the answer. 

10 hours ago, SWRam said:

Never!

Literally never? So you didn't get behind him when he got us to the play off final? You didn't support him during our winning/unbeaten run? You wouldn't support him if we repeated our 7 game winning run? (unlikely I know). 

I have an immense dislike of Davies and Warnock but, if they were here I'd support them and want them to succeed. For me, the love of Derby far outweighs any personal feelings I have about individuals. 

1 minute ago, Heisenberg said:

It's all well saying we need to look towards the summer for a re-build job, but does anyone actually trust our scouting network/recruitment team to find the best possible players, based on their last 2 years work? I certainly don't.

You have no choice but to.

10 hours ago, SKRam said:

Loss to Villa and Blackburn, two teams in seriously poor form

I've highlighted this mainly, to show that when other teams struggle, they are in seriously poor form. Yet when we hit a patch of poor form, the players all need replacing, the manager needs sacking, the whole club is awful from top to bottom.

Is some perspective not needed before we throw the baby out with the bath water?

17 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

It's all well saying we need to look towards the summer for a re-build job, but does anyone actually trust our scouting network/recruitment team to find the best possible players, based on their last 2 years work? I certainly don't.

It hasn't been the same people over the last 2 years. Clement started with Evans, then he moved on, we have brought in 2 or 3 different groups that have been in charge of recruitment and are now back with Evans. Not only do we need consistency and stability with the manager we also need it within the recruitment department as well.

8 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Also,

What is the obsession with Gary Rowett? 

I'm not advocating going for Rowett but he did a good job in difficult circumstances at Birmingham.You only have to look at the results after he left to see what a good job he did.

2 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I'm not advocating going for Rowett but he did a good job in difficult circumstances at Birmingham.You only have to look at the results after he left to see what a good job he did.

He did at that, I guess the point I'm making is he had a horrendous run of results with Brum, the same thing Mac is going through now, and no-one is batting an eyelid at that. 

I'd support him if he came in, I'm not against him coming here one day. 

Brighton stuck with Hughton cos he showed signs that he was a few tweaks away from success.

I think that McClaren has proven to be similar. He should be allowed to mould his own team. If we keep chopping and changing, we will end up never having a balanced squad in the style of whichever manager is in charge.

I hate to mention him, but Nigel Clough had 5 years and never showed any sign of inspiring a challenge, McClaren did it twice in the first 6 months of both spells.

Archived