Steve McClaren

DEL

There seems to be an obsession with systems and players not fitting into them. Mac is a very experienced coach in England , Holland and Germany and has managed the national team. Surely he can come up with a system to get the best out of the very expensively assembled squad at his disposal. These players are all professionals not a bunch of lads who meet up once a week for a game of 5 a side, and should be able to give 100% in every game in what ever position they are asked to play.

I really like Steve, he comes across as a great , decent bloke and I will always remember him getting the players to wait and applaud QPR when they got the trophy at Wembley [bast££&s] which can't of been easy.  Unfortunately I don't think the return of the messiah CM next season will be enough and I would like a new manager in for pre season. Hopefully David Wagner if Huddersfield don't go up. 

I want to see my team play with pride and passion every week, in the style of the crisp eaters last night.... not much to ask for surely?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, valleyram said:

8 points from 30 with a squad most championship teams would die for 

oh dear 

Most would die for? Are you serious?

We have such an unbalanced squad with a host of highly-paid, unmotivated average players.

Id argue most would run the other way if you offered them our squad of players with a yearly wage bill of about 25-30 million.

Of course McClaren doesn't know his best 11, the squad isn't his! They were bottom 3 when Pearson left, he galvanised them and went 10 unbeaten with a consistent team, but let's be honest we rode our luck and weren't playing great. the players stopped performing and he had no options to change, the players left out didn't grab their chance. How is that McClaren? We've had 5 managers in 12 months! Full credit to him for not coming out and lambasting the players because it must be difficult.

He is the right man, he'll sort it out in the summer and I'm confident we'll move forward again next season. If not, then would be the right time to change manager and I and other fans backing Mac will eat their words - and I disagree that is only 50/50, more like 80/20 and the 20 live on social media and don't go to matches.

I like schteve and i hope the penny drops, but why do we have to be losing with 20 minutes to go before we change the system?

Yes, the players are pretty average, but he needs to be a bit more imaginative

Just now, valleyram said:

Mate apart from Newcastle we will have the highest wage bill in the league 

I don't mind that if the team is successful but come on give me a break it's a disgrace where we are in this league 

Wage bill =/= good squad

Two years ago, we had a much better squad and much lower wage bill.

5 minutes ago, toddy said:

He saved then from the drop that's where they were heading when he took over. In 18 months he will have built a side that will go up this season.

Mac needs time and the club needs stability.

They finished in the playoffs the season before... Then Hughton saves them from the drop after a terrible start...

Hummm... Sounds familiar doesn't it?

15 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Last thing we need is a new manager. We need some stability. 

Let Mac build a squad through the summer and see how it's going at Christmas.

This is the position everyone expected us to finish when we hired him after our start so right now he is performing on par with what we wanted. 

Why would anyone want the walking disaster area that is Steve McClaren organising a summer rebuilding programme?

Get rid now.

17 minutes ago, valleyram said:

Does he ? Please enlighten me , its at the stage now I even believe will Hughes has chucked it with the mediocrity around him , Mel must no sleep at night with the wages he must be paying and no even getting a sniff of the play offs , it's joke 

And how is that McClaren's fault? There are too many average players in the squad, it wasn't going to be completely turned around in January. There is no point getting rid of Mac at the moment or in the summer. We have a squad that is so unbalanced it has fell over.

Without going over the top, Im irritated at our recent performance.

Put out a half bakes team v fester to concentrate on three winnable home matches....win none of them.

Lose the next two away matches to teams who "really need a win".....

We've lacked consistency and we're more streaky than a Ib of bacon!

We do need to change the squad up a bit, again, I'd go for selective evolution rather than "sell all the players!" Then "buy all the players" but a summer of slimming the squad and bringing in some young, good and on the up players to play our way is what we need.

A five minute chat with Nigel clout about who he'd love to sign if had more than a pot to urinate in for a transfer budget would f better than our recent recruitment drives.

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I like schteve and i hope the penny drops, but why do we have to be losing with 20 minutes to go before we change the system?

Yes, the players are pretty average, but he needs to be a bit more imaginative

Shame we didn't pay average transfer fees and wages ;)

All teams go on bad runs. It leads to underperforming players. Confidence drops. Pressure builds. Our club happens to be one with double the supporter expectations, partly because we've signed loads of expensive players and therefore fans expect more, we've also been close to the top of the championship, but missed out, for the past few seasons. Maclaren got this team to pull out of the mess Pearson left the club in from October. Just a few weeks ago, we still produced a composed performance and could well have beaten Leicester, and demolished Ipswich.

Maclaren has inherited an unbalanced but talented squad with lots of overpaid players low on confidence and too players in certain positions and others missing or injured in crucial positions.

On the other side of the coin. Is he capable of turning round a club which goes on a dire run of form, Under His Management. He also mismanaged Newcastle so badly last season that they were doomed to the drop.

1 minute ago, valleyram said:

I've never rated him and never will , I hope he can turn it around but I think the chances of that are slim to say the least 

Haven't you got Avon to sell or summat? 

Archived