Steve McClaren

DEL

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

but that confidence quickly returns with some wins doesnt it.....and is shed quickly with losses which as been our major,major problem.

Confidence, or ability to perform when the pressure is on?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Confidence, or ability to perform when the pressure is on?

i think if you have the confidence,the pressure lessens as your self belief in yourself and the team gets you through the sticky bits...witness mac1,2014,bounce backs in seemingly impossible situations

but then im not a derby footballer and who knows what goes through their minds!

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not sure we would, the players knew some were for the chop and stopped giving 100% (plus some injuries). The new start via GR is keeping them all in the mix again. I think that while there's no real pressure on the players to achieve we'll see them at least apply themselves. It's gonna be an interesting summer (would have been with Mac too), I wonder who will be here at the start of next season?

I'm hoping it will be Rowett .............................................but who knows?!?

Rowett seems to know when to make a tactical change whereas Mac stuck to the same formation and usually made the same substitutions.

Call it OCD, but with Mac a lot of the times we were crying out for a change we wouldn't see one until bang on 20 mins to go. 

I agree though, our defence at the minute is shoddy, Pearce seems to be shot to bits.

I certainly agree that we shouldn't be going too over the top yet in terms of 'bigging up' GR. As others have pointed out, this isn't too dissimilar a start to Mac2.  One thing I do like, however, is that he has made tactical changes during games to be proactive - not just switching to 4-2-4 with 10 mins to go when we're losing 1-0.  It was fairly obvious what he needed to do against Fulham at half time, but at least he did it, which I'm not sure that Mac would have done.  His post match analysis appears honest and well judged and he talks about tactics in these too... which I find encouraging as well.  Hopefully, when the inevitable bad run kicks in, then he will be given a bit of time and space to address it.  Said before that I wouldn't have sacked Mac (or Clough, or Mac1' or Clement or even Pearson) at the time we did, but for some daft reason I'm feeling more cautiously optimistic with GR in charge than I have in a long time.

Archived