Steve McClaren

DEL

9 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

So if his results before December were down to skill, a fair enough conclusion on the face of it, what about the results since, what are they down to?

That's what we're all arguing about - I say inconsistency of poor players in the squad - you know like when lower league teams go on cup runs, they're lower league because they can't keep up the level of play consistently. They raise their game but can't keep it up.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's what we're all arguing about - I say inconsistency of poor players in the squad - you know like when lower league teams go on cup runs, they're lower league because they can't keep up the level of play consistently. They raise their game but can't keep it up.

I think there is an element of that, though more a lack of bottle that seems endemic in the squad than lack of talent. IMO

The problem is history is repeating itself with McClaren, the parallels are startling. He seems to be either too stubborn or too stupid to change his tactics. For good or bad he lives and dies by the performance of his players, and he seems clueless in how to lift that performance.

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

can any stattos tell me what McClaren's win percentage and points return are for THIS season? (league)

No, but whatever the stat is, and I read it was/is the best in Derby's modern history, it is meaningless because it's still not good enough to get us up, and at least two other teams have always been better.

2 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

No, but whatever the stat is, and I read it was/is the best in Derby's modern history, it is meaningless because it's still not good enough to get us up, and at least two other teams have always been better.

but is that cos he took over when we were 20 points behind all those teams?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I thought you seemed to be suggesting that Mac's good early results were down to a 'honeymoon period' rather than his ability. If such a thing exists where was Pearson's was my question. I think we had good results early on for a few reasons, a return to positivity and some luck, but don't ignore Macs skill. :)

I think there was a 20 minute period where we held benfica in the algarve. .....

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

but is that cos he took over when we were 20 points behind all those teams?

Not the middle season, but it's a fair point. He seems incapable of maintaining a good run though, I get the last run had to end, but must it always be feast and famine with him, we were 4th and a reasonable run of results would have kept us at least on the edge of the play offs, but then his post Christmas collapse? Is that the Derby way?

I'm pretty new on these pages ... 

But I'm not pretty new regarding DCFC or football........ 

Without wishing to crash into certain posters on here again ... 

When one starts to feel sorry for a manager in the world of Football 

The End is near.... 

16 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

Not the middle season, but it's a fair point. He seems incapable of maintaining a good run though, I get the last run had to end, but must it always be feast and famine with him, we were 4th and a reasonable run of results would have kept us at least on the edge of the play offs, but then his post Christmas collapse? Is that the Derby way?

i'm not deluded and going to lie and say it looks good. But at that time, that collapse would have taught McClaren something about who he needs to replace, but he got sacked before being allowed to address the changes he needed to make. I think the same now. He needs a chance to rid the squad of those which aren't up for the full season.

I cannot imagine McClaren himself becomes different in the run in, just the excitement and fear paralyses the players!

6 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

I'm pretty new on these pages ... 

But I'm not pretty new regarding DCFC or football........ 

Without wishing to crash into certain posters on here again ... 

When one starts to feel sorry for a manager in the world of Football 

The End is near.... 

You'd get on well with Valley Ram 

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

what about 6th?

Only pointing out our current position is not solely based on our results prior to the return of the Mac.

The players are not good enough if promotion is the goal, they weren't good enough under Pearson either.

FFS, if we keep changing the manager like some change their underpants we will never progress.

Mac needs time to offload all those that do not perform and bring in players he thinks will.

Stability is the key here.

15 minutes ago, toddy said:

12 pts off top two when he took over, we are currently 23pts off top 2.

Misleading stat as we had played fewer matches when he took over. So the gap relatively speaking is probably about the same. Whatever the stats, we weren't good enough at the start of the season and still aren't now, maybe next year. 

22 minutes ago, toddy said:

FFS, if we keep changing the manager like some change their underpants we will never progress.

There are some classic jockeys on here. 

13 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

I've highlighted this mainly, to show that when other teams struggle, they are in seriously poor form. Yet when we hit a patch of poor form, the players all need replacing, the manager needs sacking, the whole club is awful from top to bottom.

Is some perspective not needed before we throw the baby out with the bath water?

Hmmm not quite sure you've quoted me correctly there... Still in view of how much this topic has split the fans, I'll not dwell on it. 

Perspective? Comments are merely ones opinions. The baby still swims in the bath water I deduce, though said water is beginning to look a little murky. 

Archived