Steve McClaren

DEL

3 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Would be interesting if someone could run a poll on whether people still BACK or want to SACK The Mac *** HINT HINT @Mostyn6 HINT HINT ***

Personally I BACK him 100% - we must at least give him the whole of next season with his own team and judge him when his 18 month contract expires in the summer of 2018.

Nah, not opening that can of worms. Too many reactionaries here. Not many capable of clear and sensible thinking! 

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Would be interesting if someone could run a poll on whether people still BACK or want to SACK The Mac *** HINT HINT @Mostyn6 HINT HINT ***

Personally I BACK him 100% - we must at least give him the whole of next season with his own team and judge him when his 18 month contract expires in the summer of 2018.

I've always backed Steve but i fear the sack is near before we crack.

27 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

A manager who has proved he can take a team into The Premier League as Champions is sacked after fourteen matches to almost universal approval. A manager who failed miserably to take a club up despite nearly two full seasons in charge and who has never achieved promotion as a manager anywhere is supported by an overwhelming majority of fans.

Ah well, if he's still at Derby next season that'll be another one stuck in The Championship.

First season wasn't a full one and it was anything but miserable. Also you can look back on posts on here and either decisions are anything but universal, it ain't you vs everyone else.

The thing with Pearson was he might have done ok in the end but the big decisions he had to make wrong (transfer policy, tactics) and it left us in a big mess and low on confidence. Pearson does well when expectations are low and he can set up something in his image, much like Billy Davies. This is Leicester's problem now in that, and could help bring their downfall long term, that even though they won the league they still can't move on from Pearson. 

Mclaren gets support mainly because people want a settled set up and he looks to play good passing football. It's not ones a failure and ones a winner, it's about us getting settled now and focus on  getting a strong team for next season. Clubs roughly our size like Wednesday and Brighton and reaping the awards of this and that's where we need to be looking 

23 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

A manager who failed miserably to take a club up despite nearly two full seasons in charge and who has never achieved promotion as a manager anywhere is supported by an overwhelming majority of fans.

That's a pretty devious criticism, considering he's spent the vast majority of his managerial career managing in top-flight leagues.  You know who else has never got a club promoted? Alex Ferguson, Guardiola, Mourinho, Wenger and so on.

32 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

What the hell are you droning on about?

how have you managed to misinterpret a very simple "let's look at Brighton/Hughton and copy" and read it as "McClaren is better than Hughton"?

you need to learn to read proper-like! 

Who has claimed McClaren is better than Hughton? The post you've quoted was contrasting the precipitous firing of the proven Pearson with the undeserved patience shown to the failure McClaren.

It is you who appear to have misinterpreted my post. I'm sure you'd disagree with me anyway, as would most Derby supporters, but please berate me for the actual point I'm making.

6 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

Who has claimed McClaren is better than Hughton? The post you've quoted was contrasting the precipitous firing of the proven Pearson with the undeserved patience shown to the failure McClaren.

It is you who appear to have misinterpreted my post. I'm sure you'd disagree with me anyway, as would most Derby supporters, but please berate me for the actual point I'm making.

To reply I need to know how Pearson is proven and Mac is a failure, thanks.

16 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

how is patience undeserved for McClaren? Explain...

23 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

Okay.

Pearson resigned, namely due to shenanigans, of which he has previous form. He resigned before the outcome of any internal investigation was completed. 

It also took Pearson 4 seasons to get Leicester promoted to the PL, 5 if you're being picky and choosing the season spent in League 1. Yet you're raising a point that McClaren has barely had 2 full seasons in charge here. 

Pearson has won a promotion yes, McClaren has won a league cup and a league title in Europe. 

3 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Only in Britain would a man be ridiculed for using an umbrella when it's raining.  "Wally with the Brolly". Yeah, what a fool.  Everyone knows you stand there and get soaked to the skin.

The sheer hostility some people have to Steve McClaren confuses me.  Especially the criticism of his management record.  For information here are Derby County's managers for the last 40 years (excluding caretaker managers):

Tommy Docherty

Colin Addison

John Newman

Peter Taylor

Roy McFarland

Arthur Cox

Roy McFarland

Jim Smith

Colin Todd

John Gregory

George Burley

Phil Brown

Billy Davies

Paul Jewell

Nigel Clough

Steve McClaren

Paul Clement

Nigel Pearson

Steve McClaren

Docherty won the League Cup with Chelsea and the FA Cup with Man Utd and, besides that, none of the others on that list have won a league title or a domestic cup as a manager.  Apart from Steve McClaren, of course.  Which is to say that he's got the best managerial record in terms of trophies won of any Derby manager for the last 40 years.  If his critics maintain that his track record isn't good enough, God knows what they must have though of his predecessors.

Track record, yeah wonderful, please be the first to remind me when he wins Derby promotion, or better still a league title or a domestic cup ever again. He mixed up the team in the FA Cup against Reading we got knocked out, he mixed up the team against Leicester in the FA Cup, the best chance we've had in ages of beating a Premiership club that couldn't buy a win at the time, to concentrate on the league, and if this is Steve McClaren concentrating on the league, then I'd hate to suffer him, taking it easy.

Derby County are a soft touch and I bet he couldn't believe his luck that we'd opted to give him a few more goes at a mid table finish. Steve Bruce got the better of him at Villa, he would of got the squad that SM took from Nigel Clough up ages ago. And the fella Hull City have now, looks like a club willing to progress instead of us, that keep going round in circles.

33 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Steve Bruce got the better of him at Villa, he would of got the squad that SM took from Nigel Clough up ages ago

is this the same Steve Bruce currently managing a Premier League team, with the 15th highest wage bill in the WORLD, 

AND

the team that in addition to the above has spent more money in the last 8 months than 15 Premier League teams?

Yeah,... they storming the Championship this seasons aren't they?... oh.. wait...

4 hours ago, europia said:

I guess the concern with Mac is not the first 6 months but what comes after.

He's a fun coach so when he came in everyone loosened up then they won and got lucky a little too, with a consistent lineup and basic formula, but then they took each game seriously. Then came Leicester where he doesn't take a game seriously, chips and changes, then question marks, a loss of confidence and when tactics are required we go down the toilet. He just simply throws out of form players in and drops others. No one knows who's where. Players don't believe in him now it's obvious. How can players aspiring to play at the top level have faith in a guy who managed to lose with both England and Derby at wembley and then drag Newcastle into relegation. They don't take him seriously. Especially when chips are down and all he can do is lament and throw water bottles.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Nah, not opening that can of worms. Too many reactionaries here. Not many capable of clear and sensible thinking! 

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Tad harsh that @Mostyn6 

16 hours ago, valleyram said:

He's a joke 

didnt want him back.

but it has to be said too many of the players are jokes.

i know its hard when your stuck in a rut and luck has gone against you, such as bents stone wall penalty at villa, and his open goal miss against burton which would have changed both games.

BUT ....

two many players can only play one way, and 1 trick ponys are a receipe for disaster.

The people criticising are the same ones that said in 14/15 that 'a Nigel Pearson team would never fall apart like this' as proven, his teams didn't fall apart, they were just **** to start with. 'The grass is always greener' and all that. It's nonsense. McClaren hasn't got the team he wants. Judge him next season. 

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

not really. All I think of is the saying "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

A lot of fans, not just on this forum, need a bit a realism in their head.

Disagree, think you're generalising a lot there. 

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well, I definitely refer to some Derby fans and not all, So am not generalising, I am dividing!

Me pulling your chain and being pedantic ;)

Archived