Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Didn't watch today so can't comment on his performance, but think it would be very harsh to dismiss him based on a game at Wembley. These games are different to any other game, you play the game differently to how you normally would, especially the mental aspect. These aren't the games you should judge young players like him on, the big stage like that is where you'd be looking at your experienced men to come in, not the 21 year olds

Agree to an extent but if the rumoured £3m fee likely to be asked by Exeter is anywhere near accurate, then I would be expecting a player who is ready to claim a starting place in a Championship side now. The big stage is where your best players should flourish, irrespective of whether they are 21 or 28 with 200+ league games in the locker.

I thought he started well but then disappeared but that could be attributed to virtually all the Exeter side. Wheeler was more impressive.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Young player. Biggest game of his career. Perhaps felt the pressure today. Cut him some slack. Been an outstanding talent over the course of the season and deservedly recognised with his award. 

I took that in to account, didn't really see anything in him. Work rate wasn't especially great either. We have equal talent in our academy, we should promote them rather than drop 4m IMO.

This is a Gamble no matter what! Biggest game for him so far doesn't have a good game, can happen to anyone! Could blow his chance like today but could also be a gamble that pays off! I would love 1 or 2 signings like this! At 4 million id keep away but at the right price it's worth a try 

Some very harsh views on him. You should never base a player off one game, especially in such a big game. Remember  when Richard Dunne completely bullied Martin at Wembley? Yet fans don't hold that performance against Martin. Not saying whether he is worth it or not worth it but all I can say is that 3 million is nothing nowadays. The market is completely messed up in England. 3 million nowadays will be 15 million in a few years time as prices will continue to inflate. I trust our resident Rams fans in Devon who rate him highly rather than basing him off a high pressure 1 off game, where hardly any of the Exeter players turned up.

56 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Agree to an extent but if the rumoured £3m fee likely to be asked by Exeter is anywhere near accurate, then I would be expecting a player who is ready to claim a starting place in a Championship side now. The big stage is where your best players should flourish, irrespective of whether they are 21 or 28 with 200+ league games in the locker.

I thought he started well but then disappeared but that could be attributed to virtually all the Exeter side. Wheeler was more impressive.

I agree £3m is too much and i also agree that you can't judge him on one game at wembley what i didn't see today was hard work and a few times he didn't look bothered.

He's a young lad and maybe wasn't happy when Reid came on and he had to swap positions a he looked liked he was'nt happy not playing right up front.

If we could get him for 1-1.5m then great if not move on in my opinion.

I thought he played well for the first 20-25 minutes then started trying to do too much by himself. They were doubling up on him and he should have just kept moving the ball on to others in space.

In terms of us not paying too much it was a great performance 

I am pretty sure his contact is up at the end of the season so Exeter would have no demands to make apart from taking it to a tribunal for the development fee.

So you could agree a fee for 750k to 1mil i would expect. Anything more seems a bit steep on what would be a gamble. 

30 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

i was more impressed with Blackpools Brad Potts , a good finish , good touches , strong running , all round good midfield performance

Yeh he has done well all season, i think he will end up at champ level

Transfer values are so hard to judge this window. Inflation hasn't just impacted the top clubs and the big deals. If there's truth to the rumour that Watkins is available for £3mill, that may actually prove a decent fee still. Considering his age and position, and that he's English, this is a lad that if he has a good season (or even half a season) at champ level he will be looking at bids of £10mill plus from top end Champ/lower Prem. ridiculous, but the nature of our sport at the minute. 

Derby need to become a club that has good quality starting players, but also start to grow players (whether through our academy which is the preference) or getting in players whose value will increase hugely

38 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

i was more impressed with Blackpools Brad Potts , a good finish , good touches , strong running , all round good midfield performance

Potts is on the list I've suggested in suggestions thread. Good player so as Watkins too. 

Archived