Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

You said you 'doubt he's even interested' in a player that completely fits his criteria and may well be someone he was interested in at his time at Birmingham.

Rowett brought in Che Adams, a similar player type- lower league, athletic. What's to say Rowett isn't interested other than a DET article that could easily be a smokescreen. I'm trying to remember the last time the DET were at the forefront of a transfer story for us, I'm not sure how great their contacts are.

Just saying.

I don't think he fits the criteria necessarily, still a young kid and we have an academy full of those. The aim is promotion and I imagine he wants players that can step straight in. Che Adams was higher level and the Brum targets and budget were different. Plus I reckon he's more strong minded than to be handed lists of players and go from there. I get the feeling he likes to watch players himself first. But like you say, DT are the kings of clickbait these days. They spam the living **** out Twitter with any link they can find.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:46, cheron85 said:

My statement about Jamie Vardy was a flippant response to people's attitudes to non/lower leagues of the back of a minute number of success stories

I've stated on numerous occasions we should be looking to pick up players who are hitting 22/23 at the top 6 sides in the Premier League and are getting restless - I feel that you're much more likely to have a success rate with a player who's been trained at the top level and not quite made the cut to start for Chelsea than a player who looks fairly decent in League 2...

Who are these players that are 22/23 in the top 6 sides that want to come to Derby because they are restless. The first thing you have got to consider, do they want to drop down a league, could we pay their wages and would they be a success having convinced them to come and also pay top dollar for them. Would they be hungry and keen to improve coming from a premier league club compared with a lower league player (who would be cheaper). And if he didn't improve at a higher standard of training and surrounded by better players, then that would be the only way the gamble would not pay off.

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:49, Leicester Ram said:

Previous EFL young players of the year:

Gareth Bale

Dele Alli

Nathaniel Clyne

Wilfried Zaha

Tom Ince

Will Hughes

Conor Wickham

Michael Kightly

David Nugent

Fabian Delph

Lewis Cook

Ollie Watkins

It's uncanny that all those players have AT LEAST turned out to be very decent Championship players. You'd think there'd at least be one massive flop, wouldn't you. From a pure stats point of view, he's impressive. We already own three of them and they're three of our better players.

If you look at highlights reels you see that he's got the holy trinity of pace, strength and not being ***** on the ball. That's something I don't think we have in any player.

I watched the Exeter game the other day and that was enough for me to be impressed.

He's young and English, will learn off of whichever ones left out of Hughes and Ince.

He's not a foreign lad who'll take a few months to settle in, he's not an "unmotivated" player dropping from the PL and he's not going to be on massive wages.

Understand your skepticism, I just think he's very close to a can't miss signing.

Best summing up of a lads potential, I hope Tisdale doesn't come on our forum and see this list of previous winners and up the price.

11 hours ago, David said:

A perfect analogy has come to me on this sunny Saturday morning.

Can you review a film by watching the trailer?

You have been out in the sun too long. No comparison, A film trailer shows some good bits to entice you to watch the full movie. The watching of a lower league player with potential will not reveal how good he is until he has played at a higher level. That will possibly either take time or he could hit it off straight away. Especially when you stick him in with better quality players and he receives better quality training.

31 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

You have been out in the sun too long. No comparison, A film trailer shows some good bits to entice you to watch the full movie. The watching of a lower league player with potential will not reveal how good he is until he has played at a higher level. That will possibly either take time or he could hit it off straight away. Especially when you stick him in with better quality players and he receives better quality training.

The analogy works and I'm standing by it. Fans have watched YouTube highlight trailers of Watkins and decided to we need to sign him to see the full thing.

You watch a film trailer, looks good and want to see the full film.

It works.

Dad, can I have some money to go to the cinema please, this film looks good.

£3m is easier to take a risk on when it's not your money. And it's a lot of money if those figures are true.

1 minute ago, David said:

The analogy works and I'm standing by it. Fans have watched YouTube highlight trailers of Watkins and decided to we need to sign him to see the full thing.

You watch a film trailer, looks good and want to see the full film.

It works.

Dad, can I have some money to go to the cinema please, this film looks good.

£3m is easier to take a risk on when it's not your money. And it's a lot of money if those figures are true.

Or maybe fans have watched him in a number of games throughout the season including twice in the play offs where under pressure he performed very well. Other fans have attended games and watched him in person as you can see by the reports. Just because you haven't seen much of him, doesn't rule out anybody else from having made an informed opinion on the lad 

34 minutes ago, Boss said:

Or maybe fans have watched him in a number of games throughout the season including twice in the play offs where under pressure he performed very well. Other fans have attended games and watched him in person as you can see by the reports. Just because you haven't seen much of him, doesn't rule out anybody else from having made an informed opinion on the lad 

I'm not saying every fan, sure some may live local, but for the majority how much have Exeter been on TV? I have no proof of this but I have serious doubts you will have found that many Derby fans at Exeter games this season.

In a season where we need to be careful of FFP, I'm struggling to get my head around so many calling for us to drop £3m on this kid they could have only possibly seen a couple of times. 

I have had a season ticket at Exeter for the last 4 years. I have seen Ollie play about 40 times. He is getting better as time goes by and I think he can be a top player in the next few years. He will realise his potential more quickly at a club with outstanding facilities, including sports science and coaching excellence. If I was GR I would be down to Exeter after the Wembley final on the 28th, doing an impression of Brian Clough signing Roy Mac.

UTR.

2 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I have had a season ticket at Exeter for the last 4 years. I have seen Ollie play about 40 times. He is getting better as time goes by and I think he can be a top player in the next few years. He will realise his potential more quickly at a club with outstanding facilities, including sports science and coaching excellence. If I was GR I would be down to Exeter after the Wembley final on the 28th, doing an impression of Brian Clough signing Roy Mac.

UTR.

Yes but have you seen him on TV yet? :p 

Seriously though I do like this as there are some that go watch other clubs. I saw Omar Bogle a few times at Grimsby, missus Dad is a fan so been quite a bit. Not once did I come away thinking wow that striker was good.

Online in January he was a must buy where as Nugent was an old codger.

How much would you realistically want to see the club pay for him, neck on line time, what would be the top figure not to go past?

City sold Matt Grimes to Swansea a couple of years ago for 1.75 million. Another good prospect but lacking the physicality to impose himself at a higher level in central midfield and loaned out to Blackburn and then Leeds. I think Ollie has much more potential so 2.5 - 3 million is a reasonable estimate. If City get promoted they will need to strengthen and will be looking to get as much as possible for Watkins. If other clubs are interested the fee could rise. 

In answer to your question David, we are buying a player with potential rather than a player who has already performed at Championship level, so the deal should be around 2.5 million with plenty of performance related add ons and a sell on clause.

GR made comments about a couple of deals being close and just waiting for the green light, but not knowing how long that could take.

Anyone else thinking that those comments seem increasingly likely to be in reference to a Watkins deal? We haven't really heard anything else at all about any other players since then, and the green light would come after Exeter's play-off campaign ended. At the time GR made those comments, we didn't know when that would have been...

If we don't sign this lad, it will show how far down we've fallen that we can't beat other teams to the punch on such an obvious talent.

If we do sign him, it will show how far down we've fallen that we have to resort to the bargain basement unproven League 2 players.

On 5/20/2017 at 20:53, David said:

Yes but have you seen him on TV yet? :p 

Seriously though I do like this as there are some that go watch other clubs. I saw Omar Bogle a few times at Grimsby, missus Dad is a fan so been quite a bit. Not once did I come away thinking wow that striker was good.

Online in January he was a must buy where as Nugent was an old codger.

How much would you realistically want to see the club pay for him, neck on line time, what would be the top figure not to go past?

There were at least as many in the pro-Nugent camp as there were screaming for Bogle. I was one of them. Seems incongruous to cite Nugent as an example of how folk should only put forward players they've seen play when we're all familiar with Nugent and still a good few of us felt he was a poor signing. In so much, familiarity served folk no better )or worse) YouTube. When clubs use scouting operations to find new talent they effectively outsource and will rely on word of mouth and tape to evaluate the player in question. This is especially true of players from abroad. Nothing strange about fans doing the same on a forum especially when it's not their own money is at risk. IMO there are more than enough sensible endorsements of Watkins to believe he is a talent and at @£2 million with the balance deferred against performance targets I'd be biting Exeter's hands off. Is it cast-iron? No, but what signing is? 

As for Bogle, the only real clamour I recall was when he scored 3 or so goals in his first few games and a bunch of folk used that as an excuse to berate the club for not signing him. The real interest in the last couple of windows was focussed on players like Lansbury, Kodija, Hourihane, Wildschut and Rhodes, none of whom have torn up any trees despite all being 'proven' and all all of whom went for big money. 

Archived