Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

My statement about Jamie Vardy was a flippant response to people's attitudes to non/lower leagues of the back of a minute number of success stories

I've stated on numerous occasions we should be looking to pick up players who are hitting 22/23 at the top 6 sides in the Premier League and are getting restless - I feel that you're much more likely to have a success rate with a player who's been trained at the top level and not quite made the cut to start for Chelsea than a player who looks fairly decent in League 2...

Can work but I think they might sometimes feel that they should be playing for someone better than Derby!

Watkins starting tonight so as David Wheeler and former Rams player Lee Holmes. Another former Rams player James Bailey starting for Carlisle. ?

1 minute ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Watkins starting tonight so as David Wheeler and former Rams player Lee Holmes. Another former Rams player James Bailey starting for Carlisle. ?

A veritable who's who of former and future Rams :ph34r:

3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

My statement about Jamie Vardy was a flippant response to people's attitudes to non/lower leagues of the back of a minute number of success stories

I've stated on numerous occasions we should be looking to pick up players who are hitting 22/23 at the top 6 sides in the Premier League and are getting restless - I feel that you're much more likely to have a success rate with a player who's been trained at the top level and not quite made the cut to start for Chelsea than a player who looks fairly decent in League 2...

Couldn't agree more with this! Don't get all this want for cheap low league players just because apparently they'll "work harder." I dont know if it's just me, but I can't help but feel there's a reason why a 27 year old is still playing for the dog and duck, and I couldn't give a toss if they've scored 40 goals in the sixth division, if they were any bloody good they'd have been snapped up when they were young! 

We need players that are actually good enough to improve us, not low league risks who 99/100 times won't work out. Slightly different in the case of Watkins, still young and the young player of the year award clearly shows he has potential so would be happy with his signing. Can't say however I'll be as excited as most of this forum seemingly would with the 500k signing of forest green rovers left back!

You pay 400k, you get a 400k player 9 times out of 10, simple as that. What we need is quality, it may cost money but that's the way the modern game is and some of the more traditionalists here need to learn that I feel. Wholeheartedly agree with signing high profile young players as being the key to success- you look at our recent signings and the best ones have been exactly that, your likes of ince, Thorne and the loan of wisdom- all players who had big potential and for whatever reason were struggling to live up to it. So we got them at a decent age, still had the ability to reach those levels, but at a more reasonable, not cheap but reasonable, price.

We need more players like that, those with the drive to get back on track and prove their previous clubs wrong, players that can grow with the club if we go up thus making the transition to the prem a lot easier. These sort of players don't come cheap, but it's exactly what we need in the long run

Archived