Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brentford have obviously got a very good scouting and recruitment network. Each season they purchase players with potential,develop them and sell them on for large profits. Year on year they seem to repeated this same model.

GR could do with poaching some of their scouting staff.

46 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Brentford have obviously got a very good scouting and recruitment network. Each season they purchase players with potential,develop them and sell them on for large profits. Year on year they seem to repeated this same model.

GR could do with poaching some of their scouting staff.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752-brentfords-moneyball-way-to-beat-football-teams-with-huge-budgets

It's been obvious to Derby fans for flippin ages that the way clubs like Brentford go about things is the way to do it, rather than failing miserably at trying to emulate what Southampton have done.

We signed Ince for 5 million and sold him for 8.5 million.

Brentford signed Andre Grey for 1 million and sold for 9 million, Hogan was signed for 2.5 million and sold for 15 million. Alan Judge would have gone for double figures had it not been for his injury.

I genuinely thought I was down to Warburton but clearly it is a technical director or DOF.

1 minute ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Maybe food for thought for DCFC?

The moneyball tactic can only be so effective in football though - It worked so well in baseball because the game is essentially so simple - It's just about how consistently you can hit the ball in a certain way

The variables in football are much greater and the element of 'magic' which you can't allow for - Iniesta has been mentioned several times in the Hughes thread as an example of a player who might not appear essential in a moneyball model

I think if you applied in rigorously you can pick up a few gems - I suspect it will be more useful for quick, basic players (full backs and Anya-esque wingers?) - But I doubt your midfield playmakers are going to look good under the system

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's been obvious to Derby fans for flippin ages that the way clubs like Brentford go about things is the way to do it, rather than failing miserably at trying to emulate what Southampton have done.

We signed Ince for 5 million and sold him for 8.5 million.

Brentford signed Andre Grey for 1 million and sold for 9 million, Hogan was signed for 2.5 million and sold for 15 million. Alan Judge would have gone for double figures had it not been for his injury.

I genuinely thought I was down to Warburton but clearly it is a technical director or DOF.

It's not that obvious though.

There is a long list of teams that have gone down the DOF  route that have been much bigger failures than us.

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's not that obvious though.

There is a long list of teams that have gone down the DOF  route that have been much bigger failures than us.

Brentford use a Moneyball-esque system to choose their targets. It's why Warburton left. It's also been a huge success.

47 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Brentford use a Moneyball-esque system to choose their targets. It's why Warburton left. It's also been a huge success.

Really? In the last three seasons:

14/15 Warburton and no moneyball - 5th

15/16 Moneyball, 9th

16/17 Moneyball 10th.

I'd say it hasn't been a huge success..

Archived