Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't this exactly the type of player we should be looking at? I haven't seen him enough, but surely from Mel's point of view, he's more likely to grow in value than anyone we've been linked with thus far. Also, he wouldn't start on huge wages as we've come accustom to. 

He's got promise, that I can say without seeing him. He would cost a fair bit of money, sure, but it's a gamble worth taking especially as we have the funds for this type of business. He's the first League Two player to ever win the young player of the year award, which has to have some substance. The only other player outside the Championship to win it was Dele Alli. 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The idea that we might not be in for him because of the rumoured price (£3m) genuinely irritates me. Think how much we payed for Vydra and Anya...but no £3m for an outstanding young talent? Grr.

The idea that you're irritated over rumours amuses me greatly on this Friday morning ?

8 minutes ago, David said:

The idea that you're irritated over rumours amuses me greatly on this Friday morning ?

Also, I'm more annoyed about the idea that we might not be in for him, than the rumour itself! 

We will bid for him next summer not this summer, geeez do you not know already how these things work.

He will move to Sheff United for 2 million, have a blinding season, we will bid 6 million for him, Villa will sign him for 7 million.

And we will say, good, I didn't wanna pay 6 for him anyway!

I've never seen him play so have no idea or opinion, but remember Michael Jacobs? Hottest young thing in the lower leagues, and playing at L1 level with Northampton, and didn't really make the step up. I think @David point about it being harder to step up than people think is pertinent, especially if you want to build a promotion winning side.

Also, to those who think the only way forward is lower league players; well if you fill your team with L1 and L2 players you end up with a L1 or L2 team.

Nothing wrong with scouting the lower leagues for gems, but only 1 out of 100 will become so. Delli Alli has been sensational but if Tottenham think they can do that season after season, they're wrong.

You have to balance it with proven players, either in this league or, as @cheron85 points out, perhaps those who have had Premier League club experience but aren't quite good enough at this stage of their careers.

1 minute ago, tomsdubs said:

Doubt Rowett is even interested. Got his own list of targets, another one we are getting hyped for that will go elsewhere.

Alright, so Rowett has said he wants to add hunger and physicality to the squad but he's also working on a budget.

How does Watkins not fit that criteria?

5 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Alright, so Rowett has said he wants to add hunger and physicality to the squad but he's also working on a budget.

How does that even relate to what I said?

This is a pre-Rowett rumour, lazy journos just carry it on.

26 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

1) DET latest was we're NOT interested - I take them with a pinch of salt but this is the latest I can find:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/exeter-city-forward-ollie-watkins-not-on-derby-county-s-wanted-list/story-30333206-detail/story.html

2) We know he has a budget - We don't know how BIG that budget is - "a budget" is not the same as "a limited budget"

3) We've seen plenty of players step up from a lower league to us and not be good enough

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

How does that even relate to what I said?

This is a pre-Rowett rumour, lazy journos just carry it on.

You said you 'doubt he's even interested' in a player that completely fits his criteria and may well be someone he was interested in at his time at Birmingham.

Rowett brought in Che Adams, a similar player type- lower league, athletic. What's to say Rowett isn't interested other than a DET article that could easily be a smokescreen. I'm trying to remember the last time the DET were at the forefront of a transfer story for us, I'm not sure how great their contacts are.

Just saying.

Archived