Birmingham after Johnny Russell

Day

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You guys would really sell when we don't have a replacement?

All this "well we could get a better player" speculation is all very well... But we don't have one... And there is ZERO guarantee we will land one either...

We have Anya, Camara, Russell, Weimann who can play L Wing.  We have too many left wingers. We don't need another left winger in if Russell goes

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I just have- johnny Russell doesn't have a single assist to his name this season

Doesn't matter mate 3 years ago he had a good assist rate so better keep him.

1 minute ago, feisty said:

We have Anya, Camara, Russell, Weimann who can play L Wing.  We have too many left wingers. We don't need another left winger in if Russell goes

Albert Looms have hundreds of cars, doesn't mean any of them are fit for purpose.

We have relied on numbers for far too long, it's time we signed quality.

Instead of spending 4 mil on Anya and 8 on Vydra, we should have spent 12 on Rhodes. Instead of 25 million in various players, we should have signed Ross McCormack and so on. Quality over quantity.

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Albert Looms have hundreds of cars, doesn't mean any of them are fit for purpose.

Instead of spending 4 mil on Anya and 8 on Vydra, we should have spent 12 on Rhodes. Instead of 25 million in various players, we should have signed Ross McCormack and so on. Quality over quantity.

100% agree with this, we've spent far too much money on squad players when what we really needed to do is spend the same on a couple of top quality players clearly better than what we've got who can slot into our starting 11

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Anya and Vydra may not have been the best buys. But I place both of them and Camra above Russell and so Russell is surplus to requirements for me. (And Rhodes is completely wrong for our style of play. McCormack I'll give you)

I'd rather see Blackman given a chance over Russell based on this year. They've both contributed the same despite the latter playing a hell of a lot more. 

Anya has definitely performed above Russell this season too.

By all means, let's get a good fee for him, but with one goal and no assists from a regular starter. I don't think he is to hard to replace. 

All you have to do is compare the raw ability of Ince in comparison to Russell. They're leagues apart. We need to source another Ince, that should be the very least we come to expect from a wide attacker. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'd rather see Blackman given a chance over Russell based on this year. They've both contributed the same despite the latter playing a hell of a lot more. 

By all means, let's get a good fee for him, but with one goal and no assists from a regular starter. I don't think he is to hard to replace. 

All you have to do is compare the raw ability of Ince in comparison to Russell. They're leagues apart. We need to source another Ince, that should be the very least we come to expect from a wide attacker. 

Very rare that I agree with you..... but you've summed it up perfectly for me. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

You're not factoring in the overall impact on the team. Russell has been at the heart of the best football we've seen in a generation.

Sure there are better technical players out there but Russell's contribution  is not just measured in facts.

Heart and team spirit are very underrated by some fans. 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

or last season, 8 assists, or did that not quite fit your agenda so you chose to leave it out?

Just like your agenda of ignoring his performance this season :p

33 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

There are certain aspects of our club that we won't all agree on, this one being just one example.

As supporters we have to show faith that others employed by DCFC know what they are doing and we must trust in their decision making, no matter how ridiculous it may seem. 

I personally love JR and CB to bits, but they're time has come for pastures new IMHO. 

That faith in DCFC employees allowed CM to go to Fulham on a ludicrous deal. Accepting that the then manager probably made it clear to the board that he wasn't in his long-term plans, Martin should either have gone out on a straightforward loan deal or a permanent transfer. No doubt at the time Pearson was seen as likely to be at the club for much longer than it proved and likewise now with McClaren. JR should only go if Mac doesn't see him fitting in with how he wants the squad to develop - in which case sell him, no point doing otherwise.

I do have major concerns about our recruitment over the last 2 years and the money that's been frittered away on at least half of the additions. We have either paid well over the odds or brought in players who clearly weren't going to meet the needs of the squad in terms of balance. Someone in a senior role has to be accountable for most of this but I have yet to see anyone held to account.

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

You're not factoring in the overall impact on the team. Russell has been at the heart of the best football we've seen in a generation.

Sure there are better technical players out there but Russell's contribution  is not just measured in facts.

Heart and team spirit are very underrated by some fans. 

He used to be a good player for us, he did have that tenacity and energy. He simply doesn't have that same level of energy and influence anymore.

The numbers back it up too. Russell is making less than one tackle per game. He doesn't keep the ball that well either.

I would say his 'work rate' is the only thing more overrated than Hughes' perceived creativity in this Derby team. 

11 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I can't believe what I am readng. People prefer Blackman, Vydra and Weimann to Russell. Absolute  nonsense. None of them has contributed an iota to the team compared to JR and compared to what JR has supplied this season, which admittedly has not been his best. Even so, another Championship team is keen to take him. Not going for the other three players.though....I wonder why?

Sometimes it's not the individual's contribution that matters, but how the team overall perform with them in it.

Ince is a far better player than Jamie Ward, but you'd be hard pressed to say we're a better team for it.

Not sure why I even bought that up, seeing as Russell is demonstrably better than all other options on the left, with the possible exception of Anya.

Archived