Birmingham after Johnny Russell

Day

So, in terms of wingers, we've currently got:

Ince, Blackman, Weimann, Camara, Anya, Russell. 6 players for only two positions.

Under McClaren's previous tenure, we only had 4 (Russell, Ward, Ibe/Ince, Dawkins), so you'd assume this is more like the number we will probably be aiming for.

We've the rumours of us being after "another winger" (coming from Nixon and other press) that would leave us with seven, meaning at least three of our current crop have got to go.

So who's it going to be? Obviously not Ince. Anya offers versatility by being able to play as a defender too. Blackman's not going anywhere when injured (plus I've got a funny feeling he might really flourish under McClaren), so surely Russell, Weimann and Camara have all got to budge? 

Just spitballing ideas. 

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Not many want to go to Birmingham!

most fans forums in the championship believe Russell to be one of our best players and do you know what he is, that is why other teams want. Him

I like him. Not suggesting for a minute he wants to go to Birmingham, merely suggesting he may have indicated he is ready to move if the move is right hence the club may be listening to offers and keeping Johnny informed.........It happens you know!

35 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Anya offers versatility by being able to play as a defender too. 

He may be versatile but he's also terrible... Can't cross worth a damn... Runs a lot but that's about it... Proper Pearson player...

We don't need versatile... We need quality... Which Anya lacks...

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

He may be versatile but he's also terrible... Can't cross worth a damn... Runs a lot but that's about it... Proper Pearson player...

We don't need versatile... We need quality... Which Anya lacks...

As well as Russell unfortunately 

13 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Johnny is the best left winger at the club.

I'd say Ince is better in that position than him when played there. 

12 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Johnny is the best left winger at the club.

Glad you're talking sensible on here. Of course he is our best left winger at the moment for the club. Sell Weimann and Blackman tbh. 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

There are about 15 current DCFC players in the squad tha I would sell before considering to sell Russell.

Forums yours Bris..... he'd be in my top 5 to leave personally. 

13 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Forums yours Bris..... he'd be in my top 5 to leave personally. 

Players I'd sell before Russell, in an order in which I get rid too.

Blackman, Weimann, Camara, Vydra, Weale, Shackell, Anya, Olsson, Bent, Hanson, Nugent, Bryson, Baird, Butterfield, Bradley Johnson - the last 7 I'd consider as solid squad players for the time being.

I'd look to get rid of the first eight this summer, certainly.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Players I'd sell before Russell, in an order in which I get rid too.

Blackman, Weimann, Camara, Vydra, Weale, Shackell, Anya, Olsson, Bent, Hanson, Nugent, Bryson, Baird, Butterfield, Bradley Johnson - the last 7 I'd consider as solid squad players for the time being.

I'd look to get rid of the first eight this summer, certainly.

Good to see Nugent has made a positive impact in your mind. After all, he's had enough chances. 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Perhaps the problem we now find ourselves in is 'saleable assets'. Whilst l am no big JR fan he probably isn't on huge wages and therefore easier to make a deal work. I suspect the 4 others who currently are competing for his position are on vastly larger sums of money, and are going to be difficult to sell on (based on recent performances). Maybe moving him on is a decision based on simple economics. If that is the case, and it is a big if, that would be a sorry inditement of our purchasing policy over the last couple of years.

Hit the nail on the head with this

Archived