Birmingham after Johnny Russell

Day

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

You adapt and evolve...... Johnny has been here 3 and a half seasons..... he was our star signing at beginning of the end for Clough..... 

Flashes of brilliance agree..... 

If you can't adapt to another "system" of how to play football..... I'd go far as to suggest why are they a footballer in the first place.

I like Russell..... he is solid, but he just doesn't turn it on enough for me..... 

But can't that be said for half our team? Most are struggling to adapt to the role McClaren wants them to play and the ones that aren't (Ince in particular) struggled to adapt to Clement/Pearson's tactics. 

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

But can't that be said for half our team? Most are struggling to adapt to the role McClaren wants them to play and the ones that aren't (Ince in particular) struggled to adapt to Clement/Pearson's tactics. 

Very true for ALL players..... it's not as if we are asking Tom Ince and Johnny Russell to play Centre Half is it? 

This could just end up like the Martin transfer. A fair few would be happy to sell with the thinking being he'd be easy to replace. Since Russell signed we've had these players who were regularly used out wide; Dawkins, Ward, Davies, Coutts, Jacobs, Lingard, Bamford, Ibe, Ince, Weimann, Blackman, Camara and Anya. I'd argue that of that little lot, 2 or 3 have been more effective than Russell; Ibe, Ince and possibly Bamford. One moved for £15 mil, one is close to moving for £10 mil and one is linked to Newcastle for £8 mil. And there's probably £10 mil + in fees paid by Derby for the rest who haven't been as good as him.

It's easy to say 'sell him and sign' this guy, but it's not that simple. Russell would be extremely difficult to replace.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

This could just end up like the Martin transfer. A fair few would be happy to sell with the thinking being he'd be easy to replace. Since Russell signed we've had these players who were regularly used out wide; Dawkins, Ward, Davies, Coutts, Jacobs, Lingard, Bamford, Ibe, Ince, Weimann, Blackman, Camara and Anya. I'd argue that of that little lot, 2 or 3 have been more effective than Russell; Ibe, Ince and possibly Bamford. One moved for £15 mil, one is close to moving for £10 mil and one is linked to Newcastle for £8 mil. And there's probably £10 mil + in fees paid by Derby for the rest who haven't been as good as him.

It's easy to say 'sell him and sign' this guy, but it's not that simple. Russell would be extremely difficult to replace.

I think that says a lot more about how poor our recruitment has been, as opposed to proving how good JR is. 

Just now, Mafiabob said:

Very true for ALL players..... it's not as if we are asking Tom Ince and Johnny Russell to play Centre Half is it? 

Difference between Ince and Russell currently is the full backs behind them. When Ince had a full back behind him who didn't work as well he struggled, but now he's got a full back who gives him freedom he's flourishing. Russell hasn't had that same luxury, he's had a different left back every week so can't really build up a partnership and most of the time has had to do a lot of the defending due to how attacking our left backs are.

Like Bryson, He's had a season too long here.

He said himself in the Summer that he's been very poor and wants to improve his consistency for the coming season, yet he's gone backwards. He's also approaching 27 and should be playing the best football of his career for a winger.

Give me someone in the mold of Ibe anyday; Pace, trickery, goals, strong, young, confident, massive potential. 

IMO Russell and Bryson aren't the way forward in 2017, sorry.

Get the money and sign someone who can take us to the next level.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

I think that says a lot more about how poor our recruitment has been, as opposed to proving how good JR is. 

Yeah in hindsight. If I could be bothered (which I can't :lol:) I'd go through the transfer threads for most of those players and all were getting fans excited apart from the odd few. My point being, people are warming to the idea of selling Russell so we can replace him, but it isn't always guaranteed that player will be any better. 

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Difference between Ince and Russell currently is the full backs behind them. When Ince had a full back behind him who didn't work as well he struggled, but now he's got a full back who gives him freedom he's flourishing. Russell hasn't had that same luxury, he's had a different left back every week so can't really build up a partnership and most of the time has had to do a lot of the defending due to how attacking our left backs are.

Every player has to adapt and evolve over the years.....

I work in a place where there's 4 different FLT/trucks..... 4 different jobs..... I started with one licence, got better, learned another.... practised and got better, learned another, practiced and got better..... which means I'm more valuable to my company and can rotated around each job without worrying about failing to achieve my targets.....

Adapt and evolve, football is ever changing..... gone see the days where you can only play in one system and maybe position.... GK aside of course. 

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Yeah in hindsight. If I could be bothered (which I can't :lol:) I'd go through the transfer threads for most of those players and all were getting fans excited apart from the odd few. My point being, people are warming to the idea of selling Russell so we can replace him, but it isn't always guaranteed that player will be any better. 

You make a very good point, and it reminds me (as you mentioned) of the Chris Martin saga. We were all so certain that another striker was about to come through the door and then....nothing :ermm: Who's to say we don't sell Russell and then not buy an adequate replacement? The way this club acts with transfers lately, it wouldn't surprise me.

That being said, the links to Sako (which could potentially resurface) and Wildschut (who I personally would deem an improvement on JR) are promising, and I'm fairly confident we wouldn't be entertaining selling JR without a better player being lined up in the wings.

5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Every player has to adapt and evolve over the years.....

I work in a place where there's 4 different FLT/trucks..... 4 different jobs..... I started with one licence, got better, learned another.... practised and got better, learned another, practiced and got better..... which means I'm more valuable to my company and can rotated around each job without worrying about failing to achieve my targets.....

Adapt and evolve, football is ever changing..... gone see the days where you can only play in one system and maybe position.... GK aside of course. 

Any chance of you and your FLT going down the wing, got to be an improvement of Camara. :lol:

Just seems silly to me to make such a binary decision as to getting rid of him.

this season has been so ridiculous in terms of management/team disruption with Pearson, Vydra, Anya, 4-4-2, Martin to Fulham, SMc coming back. 10 games unbeaten etc, I'm not sure how anyone can have the objectivity to know his time at the club has come to an end with so much change and upheaval.

Admittedly, I'm a massive fan of JR, because it just seems like he's from an older, different generation of footballers He's dedicated to his club, hard working and always has a smile on his face. These things matter. 

He's not been great this season, but other than 4-5 players (none of which have had a truly stunning season) no one has.

We have an unbalanced squad.

There are definitely better ways we can rebalance it and one of them is not getting rid of Jonny.

We could lone out Weimann, Hanson and Camara and bring in 1 or 2 Bamford/Ibe type loans to improve the squad. 

This just doesn't sit well.

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Johnny is the best left winger at the club.

He is, and that's the problem. He's not good enough for a promotion chasing side, and it shows how poor our recruitments been that we've not managed to find anyone better than him over the last couple of windows

Go ahead and sell Johnny Russell for however much money we can get.

That's the easy part if other clubs are looking to do business.

The hard part is finding a replacement. 

Not someone who is equally as good or slightly better but someone who is markedly better and will reinvigorate the side immediately.

That kind of footballer will need to be scoring and creating lots of goals.

He won't be able to do all of this and 'track back' so if he has a few bad games he could well end up being lambasted as lazy or have a bad attitude.

We could look to throw a heap of cash at someone but the club said player is contracted to will want top draw money and quite possibly not want to sell anyway.

Go down the route of a lower league player but posts on this forum alone are pouring scorn on our club being linked with Danny Rowe.

Im first to admit that Russell is having a very  poor season and maybe his time at Derby County is coming to a close as this squad does need an injection of good footballers.

Wantonly getting rid of first team players hasnt helped our cause one bit this season and if no replacement is in sight then this sale would be a huge gamble.

And I'm afraid no one on this forum has yet to convince me that the credentials of all the other candidates to play wide left are a better option than Russell.

We might have to concede this season is s wash out and that the squad itself is not were it has to be to gain promotion.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Granted he (along with most of the others) had a poor game at Leeds but, does your assessment of Camara include the West Brom game? 

Bloody Hell mate one cross in 12 months.......

Said once and I'll say it again - we should have got a Nikon, we'd have got more use out of it.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Players I'd sell before Russell, in an order in which I get rid too.

Blackman, Weimann, Camara, Vydra, Weale, Shackell, Anya, Olsson, Bent, Hanson, Nugent, Bryson, Baird, Butterfield, Bradley Johnson - the last 7 I'd consider as solid squad players for the time being.

I'd look to get rid of the first eight this summer, certainly.

And that's why no one takes you seriously 

FFS.

1 hour ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Yeah but he had one against QPR and was terrible tbf. 

So he gets 1 game??? And someone gets 4 years? Works well I guess, after the Pompey cup game we should of got rid of Pearce then!! 

Archived