Birmingham after Johnny Russell

Day

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Just like your agenda of ignoring his performance this season :p

He's been poor this season, no two ways about it. Doesn't automatically mean we should sell him though.

He's a hard-working player that does his fair share of running and normally creates chances, his finishing has never been strong which is the only reason he's not playing in the Premier League.

If Brighton, a team currently better than us are wanting Russell pretty badly, is there not a chance we are simply undervaluing the contribution of our own player/s to the team?

1 minute ago, MikeS said:

I can't believe what I am readng. People prefer Blackman, Vydra and Weimann to Russell. Absolute  nonsense. None of them has contributed an iota to the team compared to JR and compared to what JR has supplied this season, which admittedly has not been his best. Even so, another Championship team is keen to take him. Not going for the other three players.though....I wonder why?

Camara has contributed more than any of them..... 

I wonder why Russell has started to be benched? 

According to the Daily Mail we want around 3m for Russell, if thats the case and we got anywhere near that amount id be happy if we went and spent it towards signing Sako. Id also sell Bryson and use the money towards Guedioura who Villa are after for 3m as well. That would be 2 massive upgrades in my opinion.

I dont think the club would sell a player unless they had someone lined up already. I think Sako is the player the club wants and despite him saying he wants to fight for his place Palace have just gone and bought another winger for 12m. Sell Johnny to Birmingham and thats them out the running for Sako as well.

31 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Albert Looms have hundreds of cars, doesn't mean any of them are fit for purpose.

We have relied on numbers for far too long, it's time we signed quality.

Instead of spending 4 mil on Anya and 8 on Vydra, we should have spent 12 on Rhodes. Instead of 25 million in various players, we should have signed Ross McCormack and so on. Quality over quantity.

Agree with buying quality over quantity but then you go and spoil it by wanting to spend £12m on someone like Rhodes. To me that would be a waste - he wouldn't score 10 goals a season the way we are set up at present.

9 minutes ago, MikeS said:

I can't believe what I am readng. People prefer Blackman, Vydra and Weimann to Russell. Absolute  nonsense. None of them has contributed an iota to the team compared to JR and compared to what JR has supplied this season, which admittedly has not been his best. Even so, another Championship team is keen to take him. Not going for the other three players.though....I wonder why?

I can't believe what I'm reading. Vydra? He's only just joined and has a big future Russell doesn't 

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Agree with buying quality over quantity but then you go and spoil it by wanting to spend £12m on someone like Rhodes. To me that would be a waste - he wouldn't score 10 goals a season the way we are set up at present.

What concerns me is I've heard we were in for him, until Martin stated his desire to come back and we went for the cut-price Nugent instead!

If so, and it's a big if, it doesn't fill me with confidence our recruitment team is up to much.

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

He's been poor this season, no two ways about it. Doesn't automatically mean we should sell him though.

He's a hard-working player that does his fair share of running and normally creates chances, his finishing has never been strong which is the only reason he's not playing in the Premier League.

If Brighton, a team currently better than us are wanting Russell pretty badly, is there not a chance we are simply undervaluing the contribution of our own player/s to the team?

It's Birmingham who want him..... he'll probably improve their side...... 

Not knocking workrate etc.....

But he's got competition for his spot now..... and as you say he has been below par, you'd think he'd be fighting like hell to hold onto it wouldn't you? 

11 minutes ago, MikeS said:

Russell has done absolutely nothing this season apart from bring balance to the team that I will say cannot be underrated. However we cannot carry on with a player who contributes abolsutely nothing to our attacking play as one of our regular forwards, his decision making is too poor for a team looking for promotion, we need someone of the level of Ince on the other side if we want to go up and Russell is miles away from that

6 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

According to the Daily Mail we want around 3m for Russell, if thats the case and we got anywhere near that amount id be happy if we went and spent it towards signing Sako. Id also sell Bryson and use the money towards Guedioura who Villa are after for 3m as well. That would be 2 massive upgrades in my opinion.

I dont think the club would sell a player unless they had someone lined up already. I think Sako is the player the club wants and despite him saying he wants to fight for his place Palace have just gone and bought another winger for 12m. Sell Johnny to Birmingham and thats them out the running for Sako as well.

If Birmingham baulked at spending £4m on Sako before he said he was going to fight for his place at Palace, there's not a cat in hells' chance of them offering anything near to £3m for Russell.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

He is, and that's the problem. He's not good enough for a promotion chasing side, and it shows how poor our recruitments been that we've not managed to find anyone better than him over the last couple of windows

Do you want to tell Brighton that

5 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If Birmingham baulked at spending £4m on Sako before he said he was going to fight for his place at Palace, there's not a cat in hells' chance of them offering anything near to £3m for Russell.

I think Birmingham were happy to pay the 4m but it was his 40k wages they were struggling on, zola is meant to have around 11m to spend which is why they wanted Lansbury initially too but got Gardner on loan instead.

5 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I'm close friends with a lad that's Chris bairds cousin and they are very close and he said bairdy has said Russel is leaving so doesn't look good , and he's said we are trying to get Wayne routledge as a replacement , so there's my little ITk for all you fellow rams ?

Brum have also been looking at Routledge - so not beyond the realms of possibility

Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

Brum have also been looking at Routledge - so not beyond the realms of possibility

Yeah I'm speaking to my mate now and he said that Chris Baird seems quite certain that we are selling Russel but he said that routledge is a maybe so it sounds like we are planning on selling him first then worrying about replacing after

8 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Yeah I'm speaking to my mate now and he said that Chris Baird seems quite certain that we are selling Russel but he said that routledge is a maybe so it sounds like we are planning on selling him first then worrying about replacing after

Do you know someone who knows Chris Baird?

Archived