David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

7 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I did look at the stats and they no longer show a player who knows where the net is.

yes his ratio at Middlesbrough   is not prolific   9  in  42      but still better than  Nick Blackman   1 in 21   ..only time will tell should Nugent sign   and when Blackman returns from injury 

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key thing for me, forgetting the goals, is that he can play with his back to goal and can hold the ball up as well as any striker I've seen at this level - equal to the Wardrobe himself. 

We've lacked a creative presence in the final third without Martin, however, Nugent will come in and help that no end. 

It's a signing that fits our system.

A lot of Boro fans were underwhelmed when we bought Nuge. He was the forgotten man at Leicester by then, 30 years old and IF we got promoted would hardly spearhead our campaign to stay up... Bit of a mediocre signing at best surely?

That opinion didn't last. Single figures for goals scored, but for a start counting the number of goals per appearances is a stat that is deeply flawed. An appearance may give a player 90 plus minutes or 30 seconds to score after all. And Nugent was often brought on as a "Super sub" by AK late in the game.

Boro also weren't a massive scoring side in any case. Instead we had an often brick wall defence that meant we could regularly pick up 3 points with a single goal or as a makeweight another point with a shut out. One striker up front with the emphasis played on the defensive mid acting as a shield for the back four. Holding firm till the counter attack would present itself. Sound familiar?

What David was good at was getting the crowd on their feet, scoring important goals when it mattered, constantly harrying opposition players to break up their play when they had possession and popping up all over the shop when we did to scare defences and drag them this way and that.

He plays with a good attitude, certainly hadn't lost his pace at this level and is a real team player. With him it is a lot more than the goals he scored.

Of course he's a punt for you. And if you go up, chances are he's not your main man against the defenders in the Prem. But in terms of getting there and landing the 120mil in the first place you could do a hell of a lot worse.

37 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

yes his ratio at Middlesbrough   is not prolific   9  in  42      but still better than  Nick Blackman   1 in 21   ..only time will tell should Nugent sign   and when Blackman returns from injury 

We don't disagree on the Blackman issue that's for sure...

45 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

Wasn't he sub most of last season? Difficult to score when you not on the field :) I am more worried about his fitness. We can not wait two month for him to get fit. Time will show... But a very good player when we have played against him :) 

I wasn't initially too excited about the signing. When you look at his goals per game ratio it's not overly outstanding but he has bags of experience.

I searched him on Twitter, as I do with most players we're closely linked to, and I'm really struggling to find any negative comments from Boro fans. They really love him and are sad to see him go, to me that speaks volumes.

Nearly every player will have mixed reactions from the departing clubs' supporters. There's always usually the lot who downplay the players quality to suggest that their club are brilliant for getting rid. Literally ever comment is positive about Nugent. He was part of their promotion campaign, so for fans to have such a positive opinion of him suggests he added a lot to their squad.

If you presume the Grant money goes towards it, he's not going to cost a lot and he could be a very valuable part of our team. I'm warming to the signing more than when I first read this thread that's for sure.

34 minutes ago, muzzamurray said:

where does it say he has signed?

Me mate said Nugent has followed Barry Bent on twitter and he's bought a 5 bed house in Pinxton and he's seen him having prosecco with Mel in that pub in Wessington they've just done up. 

All over the Boro' press, and in the currant bun tomorrow. I think this one's happening. Odd one, as we've been linked with him must be half a dozen times over the years seemingly without it being realistic at any stage. I thought that ship had sailed. No mug, would add something to the mix....but if the wardrobe did return, we'd look a bit heavily loaded with strikers surely? Bent, Nugent and Martin for one spot? Vydra...

12 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What made you think that?

You do realise that DCFC transfer targets aren't decided on this forum don't you? Good job too because so far spending would be up around the £150m mark. 

Calling shambles on a move that hasn't happened is silly.

And if the move does go ahead and you think it is a shambles then maybe you should start calling for a change of manager, see how many people agree with what you think?

Only 150! :thumbsup:

53 minutes ago, Ninos said:

So this means Bent will get dropped Vydra kept out and martin left at Fulham ? 

Very uninspiring this one given his age and failure to crack boro. Hope I'm wrong.

There seems to be a hang up on age.

Pro athletes are going way beyond thirty something nowadays.

Look at the big swede at Manchester United or Defoe at Sunderland.

Agreed Nugent isn't to their standard but its about levels and in a lower division he has never really looked out of his depth.

As always as fans we have to place trust in our managers.

I doubted Chris Martin when Mr Clough signed him but he hit 60 plus goals and may not be finished yet.

And in the days of huge fees 2 million pounds will be a very small fee next to the dividend promotion can bring.

On a personal note......I love transfers. They are the most divisive things in football.

Other than formations, tactics, managers, other teams, pundits, referees.........:)

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

Anybody doubting this signing read the comments at the bottom of this article, Boro fans couldnt speak any higher of him: 

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-striker-david-nugent-closes-12423902

Interesting read that, they rate his time their more highly than those from the outside it seems. I would suggest they should know better.

Archived