David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

For Boro he scored 8 in 40 in the Championship season when they went up! His career is roughly 1 in 4. He will be 32 at the tail end of the season. Boro must be laughing to recoup what they paid for him. 

I hope we get Martin back. I'd love to be proved wrong here but we are signing an aging player, only four appearances this season (0 goals) and definitely on the downward side of his career. 

Really hope I'm shocked and wrong on this one but don't see what he gives which Bent cannot? Martin still my first choice for our system of play.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wouldn't worry too much, Neil!

He's coming home ;) 

Hope so. Plenty options upfront 

Bent Martin Vydra Nugent

Decent strikers. 

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

What makes you think that you know more than the manager does about what players will and won't fit into the system that he wants to play? How do you know he doesn't want to change the system? How do you know the player cannot adapt to the system (or, for that matter that he isnt right for how we play now), how do you know he isn't being brought in to facilitate the fabled 'plan B'? and how do you know all these things before he has either signed for the club or kicked a ball!?

I realise we all have opinions about players, managers, systems and all other things about the game, but there is something so relentlessly 'definite', condescending and uncompromising about posts like this! They irriate the bejesus out of me. 

To say that any signings have been pointless and ill thought out is nonsense. All signings are made to address something the manager wants to address. Just because this doesn't fit into your self proclaimed expert view does not make them wrong signings, lther than in hindsight. Also, looking at somebody like Blackman and saying 'i said all along he'd be rubbish' doesn't make anybody look clever, it makes them look smug.  It also isn't clever if you say the same thing about every signing just to stock up on 'i told you so' moments a few months later. Not all signings work out. Thats football. Not all bad signings have been made by idiots, either here or at any other club.  Aaggh.

Nick Blackman. Andy Weimann. Loaning Martin. 

6 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Nugent is a defenders nitemare at this level. His movement and eye for goal is very good. May not be a s sharp as he was but be a great striker to have around for the next 5 months. Starting or off the bench.

8 goals in 40 apps for boro when they went up means something like 4 goals in the 20 games left this season for 3 million.

I hope we could Find someone do better than that.

4 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

8 goals in 40 apps for boro when they went up means something like 4 goals in the 20 games left this season for 3 million.

I hope we could Find someone do better than that.

No. 

24 minutes ago, sage said:

Nick Blackman. Andy Weimann. Loaning Martin. 

Not really. What they are are signings that haven't worked out as expected or signings we don't agree with. But from the club's perspective, at the time they were made they were neither pointless or ill thought out. They were done for a reason, even if we dont agree with that reason.  My complaint isn't necessarily with the idea that he/you/anybody thinks a signing is a mistake, its the complete lack of recognition that the club might have a reason for doing it at the time and that he is absolutely, definitely, always right about everything.  These things aren't stated as opinions, they are stated as facts. 

6 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

Your right mate, he probably would score less because he played in a two up front for boro.

Boro played 4231 against us. 

If you put the right striker in the right side playing the right way, they will score goals. It's all about chemistry, and that's what every single manager in world football is hoping when they sign a striker, that the team they currently have is going to provide that service to cater to the strikers qualities so that they score goals. Mac and Evans clearly (basing on it being true) see it being worth a stab that Nugent fits that bill in our side. You win some you lose some, time will tell

11 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Not really. What they are are signings that haven't worked out as expected or signings we don't agree with. But from the club's perspective, at the time they were made they were neither pointless or ill thought out. They were done for a reason, even if we dont agree with that reason.  My complaint isn't necessarily with the idea that he/you/anybody thinks a signing is a mistake, its the complete lack of recognition that the club might have a reason for doing it at the time and that he is absolutely, definitely, always right about everything.  These things aren't stated as opinions, they are stated as facts. 

OK what was the point of loaning out Martin beyond a bad tempered, unstable control freak taking an instant dislike to one of our best players. 

The thing about Nugent is he has footballing intelligence.

We have plenty who can run fast but few who can think fast.

Like Martin he might grow frustrated with Ince for not releasing the ball and he will need more forward running from the midfield than we have seen of late. However, he does know the game well and wouldn't be the worst we could buy.

Just seems odd when we already have a forward who's nearly 33.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

OK what was the point of loaning out Martin beyond a bad tempered, unstable control freak taking an instant dislike to one of our best players. 

Well, from the unstable control freak's perspective, it was probably because he took an instant dislike to one of our best players and he wanted rid. However, I know from arguments I've had on here and at the PPS, not everybody was upset about Martin leaving and he was getting plenty of stick. I didn't agree with it, others did. Plenty of people don't want him back (see the thread!). I do.  That's called having an opinion... Nothing wrong with that. I can't be making my point very clearly, but my original missive was really aimed at the idea that we shouldn't necessarily pre-judge a signing, particularly when the ulterior motive is to put some 'I told you so' comments in the bank.

Just now, LazloW said:

Well, from the unstable control freak's perspective, it was probably because he took an instant dislike to one of our best players. However, I know from arguments I've had on here and at the PPS, not everybody was upset about Martin leaving and he was getting plenty of stick. I didn't agree with it, others did. Plenty of people don't want him back (see the thread!) That's called having an opinion... Nothing wrong with that. I can't be making my point very clearly, but my original missive was really aimed at the idea that we shouldn't necessarily pre-judge a signing, particularly when the ulterior motive is to put some 'I told you so' comments in the bank.

So we can have an opinion about a signing, but only a long time after we have signed them. 

Archived