David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sage said:

So we can have an opinion about a signing, but only a long time after we have signed them. 

People are having opinions about unsubstantiated rumours. It's pathetic.

i guess all signings come with a risk factor  , and hindsight is a wonderful word  ..but  imho   i wish we could recuperate  the money spent on Blackman  and Vdyra   ..i respect Blackman is injured    but 1 goal in 21 appearances   for us   and Vdyra   2 goals in 17   ..imo   i think Nugent   as proved he knows where the net is   please look at his stats   i personally wouldnt mind seeing him with us 

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

People are having opinions about unsubstantiated rumours. It's pathetic.

It is on the website of 4 different national papers. As rumours go it is a strong one. You have also just given your opinion on it. :D

Very clever move if we can get Nugent for £2m. It weakens Fulhams position considerably on the CM situation. They can no longer play on us being light in the forward positions. Only consolation they can take is they can fart as much as they want now. They won't smell it because they've cut their nose off to spite their face. :D

PistoldPete2
14 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Does signing Nugent suggest that - A: Martin isn't coming back and B: Promotion is very much our #1 target this season? (As oppose to last season when we apparently didn't want promotion).

Martin will be coming back but maybe not until the summer in which case signing a 31 year old might make some sense as a short term fix.

20 minutes ago, sage said:

So we can have an opinion about a signing, but only a long time after we have signed them. 

Not sure why you've decided to pick an argument.  Of course you can have an opinion about a signing before we've signed him. Knock yourself out. But an opinion of a player a long time after we have signed them (informed, observed and quantitative and qualitative evidence of how they have performed for Derby County) might be more valuable than an opinion before he has actually signed (speculation, based on pre-conceieved ideas of how we have seen him play against us or on the tele). I prefer to wait and see, or at least hope and expect that the player might turn out great even if I have reservations.  

Anyway, I think you've missed a bit of my original point, which was not aimed at you, and I can't be bothered to reiterate.  I would just add to this though that the original comment I responded to (not yours) was ful of sweeping generalisations about how bad our transfer business has been under Mel and all those, oh so inciteful criticisms (its never anything else but), but actually, is that true anyway? Plenty of signings made under Mel have been fair, good or very good. Some stinkers, in hindsight, but there always are.... in my opinion.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Martin will be coming back but maybe not until the summer in which case signing a 31 year old might make some sense as a short term fix.

Which makes me think this deal (if true) would make so much more sense being a loan deal rather than a permanent transfer. 

I'd actually prefer Bamford to be honest. Thought he was very good here before and that's when he was played out of position. He was then played down the middle at Boro and did even better. He clearly hasn't cut it in the PL and he must surely be thinking after two or three failed moves at lower PL sides that he needs to swallow his pride and drop back down to score some goals. He's a massive bellend but so is Lansbury and I'd like us to sign him.

I can understand the move for Nugent, although I'd be underwhelmed. I'll presume that this means Martin isn't coming back this season. We'll use the loan fee on getting Nugent, Fulham fork out for a player that won't be playing for them and then Martin comes back to take Bent's place at the end of the season.

Could be worse, could be better.

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Not sure why you've decided to pick an argument.  Of course you can have an opinion about a signing before we've signed him. Knock yourself out. But an opinion of a player a long time after we have signed them (informed, observed and quantitative and qualitative evidence of how they have performed for Derby County) might be more valuable than an opinion before he has actually signed (speculation, based on pre-conceieved ideas of how we have seen him play against us or on the tele). I prefer to wait and see, or at least hope and expect that the player might turn out great even if I have reservations.  

Anyway, I think you've missed a bit of my original point, which was not aimed at you, and I can't be bothered to reiterate.  I would just add to this though that the original comment I responded to (not yours) was ful of sweeping generalisations about how bad our transfer business has been under Mel and all those, oh so inciteful criticisms (its never anything else but), but actually, is that true anyway? Plenty of signings made under Mel have been fair, good or very good. Some stinkers, in hindsight, but there always are.

To be fair I joined in an argument that you started. Though I prefer the term'debate'.

Bris's argument was not based on the player themselves but the type of player. Most fans have a pretty clear idea of the type of player Nugent is and most have a good idea of how we play. I don't think it's a massive leap of (un)faith to link the two ideas to form an opinion on the signings suitability. 

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Perhaps once he's fit, we find Nick Blackman playing up top is just the thing we always needed?

Might happen, apparently he looks ridiculously good in training?

I appreciate Nick Blackman hasn't had a good start but I think he may well come good playing down the middle given a chance. On the thread I also think Nugent's experience and know how will be worth a punt..... most teams get players to just to help get them out of the league

Archived