George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

7 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

He was rubbish today...a total passenger when he came on. 

Carson, Forsyth,Keogh, Baird, Huddlestone, Johnson, Russell, Nugent,Vydra and Martin all gave the ball away more times than Thorne did today but yep let's just blame Thorne

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Carson, Forsyth,Keogh, Baird, Huddlestone, Johnson, Russell, Nugent,Vydra and Martin all gave the ball away more times than Thorne did today but yep let's just blame Thorne

This is a thread dedicated to GT though. It's been discussed already on the match thread that we were far from our best for the entire game today. That's not down to Thorne, nobody is going to place the blame on him. He played about twenty minutes.

But many were calling for him to be brought on, me included and he didn't really impact the game at all. It can be said when he has had a good game, so it can also be said when he's had a not-so-good game.

He's still a brilliant player, I would still love for him to sign a ten-year contract extension. But today, he wasn't great.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Well, his opinion was based on today's game so I'm sure he would.

Thorne wasn't at his best today it must be said. The commentator said that he'd picked up a slight knock which might've impacted his performance, but I didn't see where he'd picked up the knock from.

In the challenge he got booked for. He was hobbling a bit afterwards 

Just now, Kernow said:

This is a thread dedicated to GT though. It's been discussed already on the match thread that we were far from our best for the entire game today. That's not down to Thorne, nobody is going to place the blame on him. He played about twenty minutes.

But many were calling for him to be brought on, me included and he didn't really impact the game at all. It can be said when he has had a good game, so it can also be said when he's had a not-so-good game.

He's still a brilliant player, I would still love for him to sign a ten-year contract extension. But today, he wasn't great.

Can you blame him? It's not his fault that no players offer themselves for a pass and when they do, they want it to feet and not giving him an option to go in behind. Same problem that Baird faced today.

Just now, richinspain said:

In the challenge he got booked for. He was hobbling a bit afterwards 

That's the only thing I could think of as to where he'd have picked up a knock. He did go flying in to try and block the shot. It's most likely he took a kick as he went to block it. Nothing serious, but perhaps enough to knock him off his stride for the rest of the game.

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I hadn’t noticed it myself but the mrs’ dad who hasn’t seen him play before said ‘he looks over weight’ pointing at George Thorne. 

I thought the same,still needs time.

We were well under the cosh when he came on so it was difficult.

Thorne's at his best when there is lots of movement ahead of him but Sheffield Utd' s 5 at the back, in addition to no movement , meant that he wasn't able to play eye of the needle defence splitting passes. He wasn't at his best today, but that wasn't all down to him.

Just now, McLovin said:

Can you blame him? It's not his fault that no players offer themselves for a pass and when they do, they want it to feet and not giving him an option to go in behind. Same problem that Baird faced today.

I'm not blaming him. I wouldn't really give many players over a 6/10 today other than Davies. Thorne's performance can be commented on regardless of other players though. He came on and didn't do that well. That's not slating him or downplaying his abilities in any way, it's just an observation on this single, individual game.

If he'd come on, had a stormer and set-up the winner, the thread would be flooded with comments praising him. It's fair to also highlight performances that weren't so spectacular.

I think he runs in a very languid style anyway but he was limping for a while after the challenge he got booked for.

I don't think he was at his best today but I'm not sure how good you can expect to be in ten minutes when the whole team is struggling to a man before you come on and we have been under constant pressure for the entire half. 

I wasn't there for the at Ipswich but apparently he played well when given a full ninety minutes so I'm not sure how much there is to be read from his appearence today. 

Sith Happens
21 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

He was rubbish today...a total passenger when he came on. 

The new years one liners thread is in the pub section.

Sith Happens

He did OK, we had a better shape when he was on. He did more with his first 2 or 3 touches than Johnson did all game.

17 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

He did OK, we had a better shape when he was on. He did more with his first 2 or 3 touches than Johnson did all game.

Agreed - at least he managed to pass to a white shirt which is more than Bradders did..

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Yes I would, I did watch the Ipswich game and thought he was ok in that game, but he was a passenger today and should have been subbed off. 

He was the best of our 3 sub's today.

Thornes first 5 mins were great. Ball to feet, defence splitting passes, good movement. Then he lunged in and got a knock and he was poor and struggling afterwards. It didn't help our forwards were all knackered and not making runs. Still did more than Hudds MOTM *cough*.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Yes I would, I did watch the Ipswich game and thought he was ok in that game, but he was a passenger today and should have been subbed off. 

Being overtly negative doesn’t add weight to an argument, if anything it detracts from it.

See Ninos and Martin. 

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I hadn’t noticed it myself but the mrs’ dad who hasn’t seen him play before said ‘he looks over weight’ pointing at George Thorne. 

I also thought he looked a bit tubby, at least in comparison to how he was when he first joined. Maybe I'm being ignorant but I find it baffling how footballers can be overweight when they have the best nutritionists at their disposal. I found it a bit odd when Rowett said at the start of the season that the players are far fitter than they were last season. What were they feeding them at training last season, McDonalds?

Archived