George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, ramblur said:

Couldn't agree more. He'd look up (what should be a basic for a winger,but I don't see enough of it these days) and plonk it on the head of one of our players -there you go son,put your bonce on that. Always remember the cross from the left where he looked up and saw Ronnie.After getting over the surprise of seeing that lad appear in the box,the rest was just a formality.One of my favourite Rams goals,mainly because of the sheer delight shown by the rest of the team.Matched by Pete Daniel showing himself to be a pretty good centre half,and then adding goals to his portfolio.

You forgot to mention Alan's (often spectacular) goals.I still dream of the one against Everton.

He did score a few corkers in his time. Hinton's hammer as Hugh Johns used to say. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Got to disagree. Hinton's crossing, corner taking and dead ball talent was amazing and the amount of crucial goals we got via Gladys was amazing.  Very underrated in my opinion. 

Clough shared your opinion and Hinton epitomised the value of intelligence and skill over mere "energy". None of his replacements, like Leighton James, had a fraction of his influence on games.

Watching the highlights from the villa game I got a little flutter of nostalgia as Johnny celebrated his goal first with big Chrissy Martin then Gorgeous George came flying in for a hug. Still think all three when confident can be massive for this team but a new contract for GT is an absolute must! Champagne footballer, absolute class.

On 05/12/2017 at 13:28, JoeDerby said:

he's made of plastic mate, what's the point in paying someone that doesn't work? I doubt you would if you owned a business..

If you were suffering long term health problems as a result of the physicality of your job,  you'd be fine with just being thrown on the scrapheap then would you? 

2 hours ago, Tombo said:

If you were suffering long term health problems as a result of the physicality of your job,  you'd be fine with just being thrown on the scrapheap then would you? 

It's being realistic.. if he gets injured again in the next few weeks (touch wood), he won't get a new contract and no club will come in for him until he's recovered and proved fitness.

Why would the employer pay an employee that doesn't/can't work? it's not if the employee is 'fine with being thrown on the scraphead', it's a harsh world we live in.

Lets hope he carries on progressing like he is and gets the contract ASAP. Be a lovely Christmas present for Rams fans

11 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Got to disagree. Hinton's crossing, corner taking and dead ball talent was amazing and the amount of crucial goals we got via Gladys was amazing.  Very underrated in my opinion. 

not just underrated some appeared to hate him

2 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

It's being realistic.. if he gets injured again in the next few weeks (touch wood), he won't get a new contract and no club will come in for him until he's recovered and proved fitness.

Why would the employer pay an employee that doesn't/can't work? it's not if the employee is 'fine with being thrown on the scraphead', it's a harsh world we live in.

Lets hope he carries on progressing like he is and gets the contract ASAP. Be a lovely Christmas present for Rams fans

Did you word this horrifically or just wish injury on one of our own players?

15 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Wouldn’t argue with you about his crossing,one of the best I’ve seen for that.I was only making the point that all the others would get in my all time best Derby side and dear old “white boots!” wouldn’t.

11 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

Wouldn’t argue with you about his crossing,one of the best I’ve seen for that.I was only making the point that all the others would get in my all time best Derby side and dear old “white boots!” wouldn’t.

Purely out of interest, who would you put on the wing that was better than Gladys? We’ve had many good wingers over the years, but in my lifetime (i’m 54) I would struggle to think of better. As stated earlier, James was brought in to replace him but it would be difficult to say that he was better. Ted McMinn was an excellent winger, I could perhaps give you that one. After those two we’ve got Nigel Callaghan and Gary Micklewhite, two excellent players also but not in the same class. Apart from those four I would find it difficult to name a better out and out winger. Perhaps you’re thinking of someone before Gladys?

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Purely out of interest, who would you put on the wing that was better than Gladys? We’ve had many good wingers over the years, but in my lifetime (i’m 54) I would struggle to think of better. As stated earlier, James was brought in to replace him but it would be difficult to say that he was better. Ted McMinn was an excellent winger, I could perhaps give you that one. After those two we’ve got Nigel Callaghan and Gary Micklewhite, two excellent players also but not in the same class. Apart from those four I would find it difficult to name a better out and out winger. Perhaps you’re thinking of someone before Gladys?

Dave Martin.

18 hours ago, Duracell said:

Having a broken leg isn’t a binary thing. You don’t have a broken leg one day and then not a broken leg the next. Nor can you instantly start playing entire football matches when you’ve spent a whole season and a pre-season out injured.

I totally agree I was replying to someone saying he is the best Derby player for 22 years a big statement 

6 hours ago, Spanish said:

not just underrated some appeared to hate him

I’ve watched Derby since 1964 and that applies to so many players who’ve played for us.You should have heard the fans when John McGovern and John O’Hare first arrived!! Wasn’t Vydra “a total waste of money!” last season for some?! As Jimmy Greaves once said,” it’s a funny old game!”⚽️?

32 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

I’ve watched Derby since 1964 and that applies to so many players who’ve played for us.You should have heard the fans when John McGovern and John O’Hare first arrived!! Wasn’t Vydra “a total waste of money!” last season for some?! As Jimmy Greaves once said,” it’s a funny old game!”⚽️?

tbf I think the Vydra thing was not so much him per se, but the fact that he was bought by Pearson who was then more or less immediately sacked and we re-hired Maclaren whose style and formation was never going to suit him.

So from that point of view he was indeed a waste of money - but not because he was a poor player (if that makes sense).

we're all chums again with Matej now tho...:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

tbf I think the Vydra thing was not so much him per se, but the fact that he was bought by Pearson who was then more or less immediately sacked and we re-hired Maclaren whose style and formation was never going to suit him.

So from that point of view he was indeed a waste of money - but not because he was a poor player (if that makes sense).

we're all chums again with Matej now tho...:thumbsup:

The weird thing was Vydra thought he was coming to play with Martin, who pearson then loaned out to Fulham and was expected to play with Wilson in a little man-little man combo which was never going to suit him that much either...

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The weird thing was Vydra thought he was coming to play with Martin, who pearson then loaned out to Fulham and was expected to play with Wilson in a little man-little man combo which was never going to suit him that much either...

How is James Wilson? not heard much about him since his nasty injury.

Archived