George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He going nowhere!

Thorne is pure class. IMHO a far better player than Ledley, who’s been solid not great. More creative more of an all round footballer - tackle pass dribble create score. Don’t think he’s fatter or slower or anything else ppl throw at him since he came back. That’s just bogus. He looks the same. Every time he’s been introduced we look more composed more difficult to get through and actually more dangerous. Thorne is a delight to watch just like Hughes was. Those two are artists with a football.  Like almost all of us, I  get amped up whenever GT is introduced into a game ... 

Rowett knows he’s good but he’s taken this easing him in thing a bit too far in my view ... but he ain’t going anywhere. I’d expect a bigger role post-Jan once he signs an extension.

4 hours ago, Ninos said:

He going nowhere!

Thorne is pure class. IMHO a far better player than Ledley, who’s been solid not great. More creative more of an all round footballer - tackle pass dribble create score. Don’t think he’s fatter or slower or anything else ppl throw at him since he came back. That’s just bogus. He looks the same. Every time he’s been introduced we look more composed more difficult to get through and actually more dangerous. Thorne is a delight to watch just like Hughes was. Those two are artists with a football.  Like almost all of us, I  get amped up whenever GT is introduced into a game ... 

Rowett knows he’s good but he’s taken this easing him in thing a bit too far in my view ... but he ain’t going anywhere. I’d expect a bigger role post-Jan once he signs an extension.

I would be delighted if he was to commit to a new contract but as of yet he hasn’t - he will be sold in January or he will run his contract down, hopefully we get to the premiership and he wants to stay if that happens 

Ninos .. I have just read your views and your assessment of George Thorne, and his value to this club, which I concur with entirely ..

However, what puzzles me is, how do you reconcile this with your views on our other most valuable and skilful player, Chris Martin, a player who you do not appear to have a high regard for ?

If you have the critical facility to spot the quality in Thorne, why not Martin ? 

Just now, Ram8 said:

Ninos .. I have just read your views and your assessment of George Thorne, and his value to this club, which I concur with entirely ..

However, what puzzles me is, how do you reconcile this with your views on our other most valuable and skilful player, Chris Martin, a player who you do not appear to have a high regard for ?

If you have the critical facility to spot the quality in Thorne, why not Martin ? 

Light blue touch paper......

Retire to a safe distance. ....

And one......two........three...........:lol:

On 26/12/2017 at 21:42, MuespachRam said:

He was really poor again today, I think a few of you need to take off your blinkers when it comes to Thorne. 

In a game where about 75% of the passes we hit were long balls down the channels, one of Thornes first contributions was to drop back and, between him and Keogh, play the ball out from the back.

Although he did nothing spectacular, we kept possession a bit better and actually tried to probe through the middle as opposed to hopeful balls down the wing.

I may be wrong but pretty sure their chances dried up once Thorne came on too.

OK..here goes nothing. I think Thorne's potential impact is very overstated.  

Notwithstanding the constant injuries...I'd add a lack of goals, not masses of assists/creativity, not brilliant in the air with limited pace. He looks very classy...is neat and tidy and can pick a pass  ...but I think that gives him a lot of slack that other players don't get.

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Notwithstanding the constant injuries...I'd add a lack of goals, not masses of assists/creativity, not brilliant in the air with limited pace. He looks very classy...is neat and tidy and can pick a pass  ...but I think that gives him a lot of slack that other players don't get.

If that were true it would show how ordinary we are as he makes us look better.

Still don't get people referring to thorne being injury prone, his leg didn't just fall apart, it was snapped by a reckless challenge.

If anyone else had been hit by that exactly the same thing would have happened.

My comments were made regardless of his 'constant injuries' (which is slightly different to saying he is injury prone anyway). At the age of 24 he has maybe 100 career appearances and a couple of goals. Just saying he gets given a lot of slack compared to others with what he has produced on the pitch. I wouldn't call him a box to box midfielder....he has a lot of style..potential maybe...but I dont see him ever being the difference between ultimate success and failure.

37 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Find me an über creative, goal-scoring sitting midfielder

18 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

My comments were made regardless of his 'constant injuries' (which is slightly different to saying he is injury prone anyway). At the age of 24 he has maybe 100 career appearances and a couple of goals. Just saying he gets given a lot of slack compared to others with what he has produced on the pitch. I wouldn't call him a box to box midfielder....he has a lot of style..potential maybe...but I dont see him ever being the difference between ultimate success and failure.

For us he has scored 5 in 63 appearances (50 starts) for a defensive midfielder that isn't bad. Compare with Eustace who scored 3 in 62 (50 starts)

28 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Chester you either haven't seen much of Thorne or have a very short memory he was pivotal in getting in us getting to a playoff final were he was MoM   Lack of goals he was always the one who held up when Bryson Hughes or Hendrick were the ones who get forward  Maybe your happy with the one goal Huddleston and Ledley have between them in their 42 appearances

49 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Chester you either haven't seen much of Thorne or have a very short memory he was pivotal in getting in us getting to a playoff final were he was MoM   Lack of goals he was always the one who held up when Bryson Hughes or Hendrick were the ones who get forward  Maybe your happy with the one goal Huddleston and Ledley have between them in their 42 appearances

Here goes the old Martin arguement again , some people rate Thorne more highly than others , mom? Well take almost any game and you will have a host of views on who was mom 

not seen one poster state that Thorne is a poor player but when anybody dare say that they don’t rate him as highly as some then they must not have seen him play much or have a short memory or the next thing is they no nothing about football? 

He s a decent player but just like Martin he is not the be all and end all of derby ( in my view) 

Archived