Fulham vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

I will remember this when you want wholesale changes for WBA.:D

I never advocate changing a winning side Angry. I would have kept the same team today; Hughes is our architect. I would have brought Bryson on for Butters at H-T...to inject energy. We have 10 days recovery time now. 

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

How did MV do ?

Pretty poor, didn't hassle their defenders whilst in possession, seemed uninterested in chasing the ball generally, looked like a player who is disconnected from the rest of the squad- in my opinion - looks lost in our current set up.

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I never advocate changing a winning side Angry. I would have kept the same team today; Hughes is our architect. I would have brought Bryson on for Butters at H-T...to inject energy. We have 10 days recovery time now. 

Wouldn't have made a difference today. Neither of the midfield three were at their best, but it was out wide where Fulham had joy, especially down their right. Hughesy should be well rested in time for the 27th.

On our way home from another capital away day,  pleased to be bringing home a point. I'm feeling knackered so goodness only knows how the players feel.

There's something about Fulham that doesn't sit well with me. The fog thickened the closer we were to our destination, London was choked and I wasn't expecting much better from our team.

I didn't see a great deal of the match as I had a row of very colourful Santa hats bobbing around in front of me! If you attend games for the atmosphere today was great; for watching the game not so good!

Fulham started brightly and were the more dominant team all afternoon. Our biggest problem today was retaining the ball, with Hughes and Bent both out our forward runs broke down quickly - or went on to create a goal threat. We gradually came more into the game as Russell and Ince looked to attack with some support from Vydra. Fulham looked equally threatening with Aluko in particular causing Olsson problems. 

Luckily for me Mr Santa in front of me took a loo break just in time for me to see Ince's goal - yay! Maybe this would bring around a change in our fortunes but the goal we let in just before half time brought us back to reality. Olsson beaten again by the full back and an easy turn in for Ayite.

Second half Fulham were soon on the attack again,  every time we cleared the ball was coming back into us because we weren't holding it higher up the pitch. I was a bit unsighted for Fulham's second but it seemed to go through or under one of our players.

Funnily enough this seemed to kick start our play again, and we started to create a bit more pressure. Russell had a chance well saved at the near post. We started to believe again.

Minutes later Russell was pulled off along with Vydra. I couldn't argue with that as Russell had been patchy and Vydra, for me, he just isn't working in this system. Bent was an immediate improvement and Camara again looked lively.

The equaliser was great - who on earth was meant to be marking Pearce? Buy that man a pint! And buy Pearce two!! He wasn't going to miss that invitation and his celebration was fiercely Pearcesome - I love that guy. 

On the whole I thought we managed the rest of the game well, apart from giving away some weird free-kicks, one of which led to them hitting the bar .

As others have said we could have won it right at the death when the referee inexplicably pulled play back when we broke two on one following a bad foul on Johnson. We might not have scored but he should have played the advantage. One of several poor decisions from him today.

Despite predicting a win, I was happy with the draw, especially with Hughes out of the side. Fulham are a good team, they pass well and always threatened going forward. 

I hope the players enjoy a well earned break because 7 points from the last three games is a terrific return.

They need to rest up because we have another three coming up soon! 

2 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Love this

Absolutely love this. Clubby songs with a chorus where you don't need to do anything other than bounce around and say "oh oh oh oh" or "doo doo doo" or "na na na na" make brilliant chants as they're easy to remember, fit lyrics into and bounce around to. 

See "Will Grigg's on fire". More 90s songs for chants please.

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Just basing this off the highlights, but that's awful from Olsson for both their goals. 

You are right and I was holding off from going on about that basically because in my opinion he is probably third choice left back behind Forsyth and Lowe - yes he let the full back have an easy unchallenged cross for the first  and the other clearance was rubbish

19 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Absolutely love this. Clubby songs with a chorus where you don't need to do anything other than bounce around and say "oh oh oh oh" or "doo doo doo" or "na na na na" make brilliant chants as they're easy to remember, fit lyrics into and bounce around to. 

See "Will Grigg's on fire". More 90s songs for chants please.

With this in mind...

Pearce in the Derby, Pearce in the County, Pearce scores a Goal, yeeeaaaaa yeeeaaaaa

I was at the game. I wasn't well enough positioned to say whether Ince's first half disallowed goal was offside but the ref's decision not to allow play on late in injury time instead of allowing play on was disgraceful. We were clearly on at goal. where do you they get these idiots from?

Jut back home, few beers etc, but... it was kinda like QPR, while we were never outclassed, but in truth we seemed 2nd best for a lot of the game, but we have class, and so we threatened here and there, and got our rewards thankfully,mainly because of mistakes by them, and they scored because of mistake by us.. overall we have to be happy, look at where we were 3 months ago,i am enjoying it, Fulham are a good side and may well end up top 6 with us, to meet in the play off's with full squads would be a terrific contest :)

51 minutes ago, angieram said:

On our way home from another capital away day,  pleased to be bringing home a point. I'm feeling knackered so goodness only knows how the players feel.

There's something about Fulham that doesn't sit well with me. The fog thickened the closer we were to our destination, London was choked and I wasn't expecting much better from our team.

I didn't see a great deal of the match as I had a row of very colourful Santa hats bobbing around in front of me! If you attend games for the atmosphere today was great; for watching the game not so good!

Fulham started brightly and were the more dominant team all afternoon. Our biggest problem today was retaining the ball, with Hughes and Bent both out our forward runs broke down quickly - or went on to create a goal threat. We gradually came more into the game as Russell and Ince looked to attack with some support from Vydra. Fulham looked equally threatening with Aluko in particular causing Olsson problems. 

Luckily for me Mr Santa in front of me took a loo break just in time for me to see Ince's goal - yay! Maybe this would bring around a change in our fortunes but the goal we let in just before half time brought us back to reality. Olsson beaten again by the full back and an easy turn in for Ayite.

Second half Fulham were soon on the attack again,  every time we cleared the ball was coming back into us because we weren't holding it higher up the pitch. I was a bit unsighted for Fulham's second but it seemed to go through or under one of our players.

Funnily enough this seemed to kick start our play again, and we started to create a bit more pressure. Russell had a chance well saved at the near post. We started to believe again.

Minutes later Russell was pulled off along with Vydra. I couldn't argue with that as Russell had been patchy and Vydra, for me, he just isn't working in this system. Bent was an immediate improvement and Camara again looked lively.

The equaliser was great - who on earth was meant to be marking Pearce? Buy that man a pint! And buy Pearce two!! He wasn't going to miss that invitation and his celebration was fiercely Pearcesome - I love that guy. 

On the whole I thought we managed the rest of the game well, apart from giving away some weird free-kicks, one of which led to them hitting the bar .

As others have said we could have won it right at the death when the referee inexplicably pulled play back when we broke two on one following a bad foul on Johnson. We might not have scored but he should have played the advantage. One of several poor decisions from him today.

Despite predicting a win, I was happy with the draw, especially with Hughes out of the side. Fulham are a good team, they pass well and always threatened going forward. 

I hope the players enjoy a well earned break because 7 points from the last three games is a terrific return.

They need to rest up because we have another three coming up soon! 

Thanks Angie .. As a half fan I really appreciate your pithy reports.

Radio Derby did a fair job today as this kind of marries up with their commentary ( apart from the Santa hat viewing issue ) I have a moan about them from time to time not because of detail but the grim fatalism when we give one away. It's always a dour acceptance. I want them to be accurate, not happy clappy blinded by fandom but they are a bit like the miserable fan we all know .."well I Knew that was going to happen" and "told you so" 

onwards to Boxingday+1

People having a go at Olsson for the first goal but I think it was hard for him. Having played full back I know it can be very difficult to defend those situations. Get too close and risk bringing the man down in the box, let him cut inside on his weaker foot but with a clear shot on or force him down the line with the hope of blocking the cross. Olsson did number three but didn't manage to block the cross. This is where you hope your defender and keeper are positioned to block any ball coming across the 6yr box so the player has to pull his cross away from goal to reach one of his own. Makes it easier to defend as a team. Unfortunately the ball went between Carson and Pearce and then some ball watching allowed Ayite free. 

That goal highlighted something they had which we lacked. Full backs with attacking intent. Similar to QPR with Perch getting forward, I felt we miss Christie and Forsyth's desire to run at players and look for a one-two down the line. At the moment it means we can be a bit narrow in attack and aren't getting as many 2 on 1 situations out wide. 

All in all, very happy with the point. We looked a bit tired and Fulham have been in great form. Great to see us come back after going 2-1 down. A lot of sides would've crumbled against this Fulham side in that scenario. Plenty to work on and also a good reality check to those talking of catching Brighton/Newcastle. 

4 minutes ago, 90sRam said:

People having a go at Olsson for the first goal but I think it was hard for him. Having played full back I know it can be very difficult to defend those situations. Get too close and risk bringing the man down in the box, let him cut inside on his weaker foot but with a clear shot on or force him down the line with the hope of blocking the cross. Olsson did number three but didn't manage to block the cross. This is where you hope your defender and keeper are positioned to block any ball coming across the 6yr box so the player has to pull his cross away from goal to reach one of his own. Makes it easier to defend as a team. Unfortunately the ball went between Carson and Pearce and then some ball watching allowed Ayite free. 

That goal highlighted something they had which we lacked. Full backs with attacking intent. Similar to QPR with Perch getting forward, I felt we miss Christie and Forsyth's desire to run at players and look for a one-two down the line. At the moment it means we can be a bit narrow in attack and aren't getting as many 2 on 1 situations out wide. 

All in all, very happy with the point. We looked a bit tired and Fulham have been in great form. Great to see us come back after going 2-1 down. A lot of sides would've crumbled against this Fulham side in that scenario. Plenty to work on and also a good reality check to those talking of catching Brighton/Newcastle. 

It's not just in the area that Olsson does not get tight to his man.

He lets say too many crosses into the area and is lucky that Keogh and Pearce get their heads on pretty much everything.

Mac is the key to ignition
Beating all opposition
We aren't scared of nobody
Got every Ram in here wishin'
Keep on banging that drum
We've got em all on the run
Every freakin' weekend baby
I'm about to have me some fun.

Bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce etc.

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Mac is the key to ignition
Beating all opposition