Fulham vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

1 hour ago, 90sRam said:

People having a go at Olsson for the first goal but I think it was hard for him. Having played full back I know it can be very difficult to defend those situations. Get too close and risk bringing the man down in the box, let him cut inside on his weaker foot but with a clear shot on or force him down the line with the hope of blocking the cross. Olsson did number three but didn't manage to block the cross. This is where you hope your defender and keeper are positioned to block any ball coming across the 6yr box so the player has to pull his cross away from goal to reach one of his own. Makes it easier to defend as a team. Unfortunately the ball went between Carson and Pearce and then some ball watching allowed Ayite free. 

That goal highlighted something they had which we lacked. Full backs with attacking intent. Similar to QPR with Perch getting forward, I felt we miss Christie and Forsyth's desire to run at players and look for a one-two down the line. At the moment it means we can be a bit narrow in attack and aren't getting as many 2 on 1 situations out wide. 

All in all, very happy with the point. We looked a bit tired and Fulham have been in great form. Great to see us come back after going 2-1 down. A lot of sides would've crumbled against this Fulham side in that scenario. Plenty to work on and also a good reality check to those talking of catching Brighton/Newcastle. 

He let 4 similar crosses into the box in the first half. It was an accident waiting to happen. 

He isnt good enough for a top 6 team. Luckily we are 7th.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from the game. Had a great day out. Few beers in a pub before the game, nice walk by the Thames to the ground and a great atmosphere. I think the team looked tired. We lost the midfield battle, I thought Scott Parker ran the show. In the second half especially we played too deep and invited them to come at us. But we kept going and got the point we probably didn't deserve. Having said that if the ref had played advantage in injury time we could have come back with all 3....

1 hour ago, 90sRam said:

People having a go at Olsson for the first goal but I think it was hard for him. Having played full back I know it can be very difficult to defend those situations. Get too close and risk bringing the man down in the box, let him cut inside on his weaker foot but with a clear shot on or force him down the line with the hope of blocking the cross. Olsson did number three but didn't manage to block the cross. This is where you hope your defender and keeper are positioned to block any ball coming across the 6yr box so the player has to pull his cross away from goal to reach one of his own. Makes it easier to defend as a team. Unfortunately the ball went between Carson and Pearce and then some ball watching allowed Ayite free. 

That goal highlighted something they had which we lacked. Full backs with attacking intent. Similar to QPR with Perch getting forward, I felt we miss Christie and Forsyth's desire to run at players and look for a one-two down the line. At the moment it means we can be a bit narrow in attack and aren't getting as many 2 on 1 situations out wide. 

All in all, very happy with the point. We looked a bit tired and Fulham have been in great form. Great to see us come back after going 2-1 down. A lot of sides would've crumbled against this Fulham side in that scenario. Plenty to work on and also a good reality check to those talking of catching Brighton/Newcastle. 

He was equally at fault for the second. Instead of clearing it in to row Z, he passed it straight to their player who then put it in the net...I think Lowe is much more capable defensively....

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

derby on Sunday, away on Wednesday and Fulham on Satdee 

7 points isn't too bad at all. Bet it's been a hard week but to come through it unbeaten is great

Craig David???

2 hours ago, 90sRam said:

I agree with you that Fulham 's full backs attacked well but also as a former left full back, when you show your player the outside you NEVER  let them cross, you put yourself between them and your goal.

Olsson was at fault.

However, it was a tough battle and we did well to get a point against a team that passed and retained the ball far better than us

Special credit to Pearce,  Carson and Baird.

Ince the only creative spark though Camara was lively.

The ref cost us with the Johnson incident but a draw was fair 

17 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

What were the ref mistakes referred to? Nothing shown on the sky highlights

Few minutes from the end Johnson tackled a defender on the half way line. Having lost the ball, the defender tried to pull him back. BJ used his strength to struggle free and with Bent was two on one bearing down on goal when the ref called it back for the foul. Cue Rams Wrath!

Really enjoyed the day and it was a very entertaining game. Definitely a point gained as the first 20 mins of the second half particularly we spent a long time chasing shadows. 

Very impressed with Fulham, who knocked the ball around well and attacked with great intensity down the flanks. Won't be many who take points from Craven Cottage if they play like that every home game.

Fair play to Derby as we didn't play that well, couldn't hold the ball long enough and resorted to too much long ball to Vydra because we were under so much pressure. But we hung in there, battled really hard and grabbed a point.

Archived