Fulham vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Tbf yesterday I think having been there radio Derby we're right to be negative, we were by far second best and we just couldn't get any sort of control on the game, the midfield were woeful- that being said the charectar, resilience and dare I say bottle, was excellent to nick a point

Blimey, even RD didn't describe any of our players as woeful....are you looking for a job ?

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I was watching the midfield three very carefully, they were all too slow moving the ball on, and offered next to nothing defensively, Bryson and butterfield just left their men to wander into the box- it was butterfields man who scored the second, and constantly gave away possession. Yesterday confirmed to me the importance of Hughes and how we cannot function properly without him

They were not great. But woeful is a stupid , ignorant adjective 

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

Derby never gave up and showed heart and passion over last 3 tough games what freaking else do people want. Some of you a freaking grip were still in the race and in a great position.

Well said. Some people should be ashamed ( well one ). Describing the midfield as woeful.  It's simple,  if you play 3 in midfield and they play 4 or 5,you will be struggling to compete. But allows more strength in defence and attack. I can't believe how some fans are so stupid (.one) as to describe a 2/2 draw away at Fulham as anything other than a good result 

13 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Well said. Some people should be ashamed ( well one ). Describing the midfield as woeful.  It's simple,  if you play 3 in midfield and they play 4 or 5,you will be struggling to compete. But allows more strength in defence and attack. I can't believe how some fans are so stupid (.one) as to describe a 2/2 draw away at Fulham as anything other than a good result 

Point me in the direction where I said it was anything other than a good result?! Fulham were the best team we've played against all season and I was delighted to get a point from them, but that's not to say we should just sit here and pretend it was a brilliant performance! The way we dug in and got the point has made me hugely optimistic for the rest of the season, it shows we potentially have that all important bottle that's been missing for the last few years. However that isn't always going to see us grind out results we don't deserve, and I know it was only one game, but there's no reason why we shouldn't discuss the issues as well as the positives within the team, in yesterday's case the weakness in midfield, it's part of what this forums for- and it certainly doesn't make me ashamed to say that we struggled without Hughes and we need him back.

And I'm not sure what formation you thing Fulham had managed to make up to have more than 3 central midfielders, you cannot deny they were better than us yesterday in that area- nothing to be ashamed of of course, but something to continue to improve upon so that if Hughes does miss out again, we don't have similar problems. Imo we should always strive to be as good as we can be, and there's no way you can deny that we weren't at our best yesterday, I fail to see why me having some criticism of our performance means that I'm singled for a personal attack by another member 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Walked across the front of our stand pre-match and got a warm round of applause from those of us in our seats early. Probably only about a quarter of us there at that time, though.

how many times did he fall over?

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Point me in the direction where I said it was anything other than a good result?! Fulham were the best team we've played against all season and I was delighted to get a point from them, but that's not to say we should just sit here and pretend it was a brilliant performance! The way we dug in and got the point has made me hugely optimistic for the rest of the season, it shows we potentially have that all important bottle that's been missing for the last few years. However that isn't always going to see us grind out results we don't deserve, and I know it was only one game, but there's no reason why we shouldn't discuss the issues as well as the positives within the team, in yesterday's case the weakness in midfield, it's part of what this forums for- and it certainly doesn't make me ashamed to say that we struggled without Hughes and we need him back.

And I'm not sure what formation you thing Fulham had managed to make up to have more than 3 central midfielders, you cannot deny they were better than us yesterday in that area- nothing to be ashamed of of course, but something to continue to improve upon so that if Hughes does miss out again, we don't have similar problems. Imo we should always strive to be as good as we can be, and there's no way you can deny that we weren't at our best yesterday, I fail to see why me having some criticism of our performance means that I'm singled for a personal attack by another member 

I agree our best midifield contains hughes plus 2 others, the other 2 to be johnson/Thorne (when fit) plus butters/bryson....my ideal is still thorne bryson and hughes.

No harm in being critical, thats fine, i think even Steve has admitted we still have work to do and still not performing the best this set of players can do...if he gets us to that we will go on and win the play offs....

I think its the strength of criticism thats got people annoyed, 'woeful' is a very strong way of describing part of a team who got a point at a very good team, espeically at home. I did not go to the game so cannot say you arent right but nothing i have heard, read etc suggests any part of our performance was woeful, not our best no but woeful for me is the time under pearson....are you saying our middle 3 performance was on a par with those early season performances?

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I agree our best midifield contains hughes plus 2 others, the other 2 to be johnson/Thorne (when fit) plus butters/bryson....my ideal is still thorne bryson and hughes.

No harm in being critical, thats fine, i think even Steve has admitted we still have work to do and still not performing the best this set of players can do...if he gets us to that we will go on and win the play offs....

I think its the strength of criticism thats got people annoyed, 'woeful' is a very strong way of describing part of a team who got a point at a very good team, espeically at home. I did not go to the game so cannot say you arent right but nothing i have heard, read etc suggests any part of our performance was woeful, not our best no but woeful for me is the time under pearson....are you saying our middle 3 performance was on a par with those early season performances?

Thanks for the more reasonable response to my post, in terms of the best midfield three it has to be 3 from butterfield, Hughes, Johnson and Thorne IMO as I don't think Bryson has got What he used to have anymore but all of them are such brilliant players in their ability that I'm torn on what I'd go for to get the balance right, other than like you say Hughes must be 1 of them

I have extremely high standards when it comes to the football and I probably have exaggerated the point, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the performances under Pearson- although I'm not sure we'll see anything that bad for a while again haha, hope not at least! I don't believe the midfield was anywhere near being good enough tho, just far too weak in possession for my liking, although it was admittedly against a brilliant midfield who played like Barcelona on the day so I'll let them off a bit. I guess I just got extremely frustrated because I'd been saying all week that getting a foothold in the middle of the park was going to be vital in the game, and the fact we barely even touched the ball for long spells of the games just annoyed me greatly, especially when we started to resort to this hoof ball that I thought we got rid of a couple of months ago

13 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Certainly not woeful, just leggy and struggled to cope with a very good Fulham side. Never really got to grips with the midfield which they dominated. But still got a very decent point.

3 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Look some times football not going to be great this is were we need to ball grind out the results even draws. And you annoyed me also lets see you play 3 very tough games in a week or need to rest some players.

:angry:

Good point about 3 games in a week, less than actually. Hopefully the rest will do them good before the next game.

3 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Look some times football not going to be great this is were we need to ball grind out the results even draws. And you annoyed me also lets see you play 3 very tough games in a week or need to rest some players.

:angry:

I completely agree with you mate don't get me wrong, it was an excellent result against Fulham and we showed charectar to grind it out, but there's nothing wrong in discussing what the problems were so that we don't have to grind out results every week, because believe me your luck runs out. Also, trust me you'll be lucky to see me get through 3 minutes In a week yet alone three games, I quit football at 10 after a bad ankle injury and my fitness has got progressively worse since, the best I can do now is walking round a golf course:lol:

I have a doddy shoulder and a bad hamstring and also bad ankle. But

Does not stop me froming doing my tetsudo.

But have you ever throught why reason will huges was rest maybe his wrist was a bit stiff and saw and perhaps his legiments need to be rested. 

Overall a decent performance against a very good attacking team. They will beat most teams at home but also won't keep many clean sheets so have no chance of the the top 2. Very even first half but they completely bossed the game from 45 to 75 minutes. They very much exposed us down our left flank and pick up the vast majority of loose balls in midfield, Ironically it was a game where we missed Martin to hold the ball up.

Carson 8 - Came for crosses, held cross shots well and tipped a free kick onto the bar.

Baird 7 - Steady and calm all game, Won every header for our 'get out' ball from the keeper

Olsson 4 - Had a shocker. Kept backing off and allowing low balls across the the face of goal. Poor clearance for second

Keogh 7 - Solid as usual, won everything

Pearce 7 - Same as Keogh but scored to equal out mistake for second goal.

Johnson 6 - Broke up play well first half tired in the second

Bryson - 6 Ran tirelessly all day, chasing down but offered little going forward

Butterfield - 5 Lost every single challenge in midfield, didn't do enough offensivey to compensate

Ince 8 - Scored, had one disallowed and won corner for the second, which he planted on Pearce's head  

Russell 6 - Again worked hard, had one great volley pushed over, still down on confidence though

Vydra 5 - Failed to hold the ball up all day. Had one good run when fouled

Bent 6 - Made a difference with physical presence  

Camara 6 - Got some crosses in but lost the ball too

Weimann 5 - Inept

14 hours ago, Ramz64 said:

For me , 

This was the game I had to see us win if I was to believe we could do top two and the autos

We didn't  . 

I now think we are play offs .. 

at best . 

what difference does this result have on Brighton or Newcastles ability to make 100 points or come close to it?
Derby or indeed 21 other teams abilty to catch newcastle or brighton depends entirely on them dropping enough points.

Which i dotn think they will do.

They are already up at the halfway point.

Archived