The Right Back Situation

RamsPolls

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Totally agree. Baird is now the equivalent of the latter period of having Jeff Kenna and Warren Barton. Decent pro's in their day, but not what is required when they have lost all of their pace......

I've enjoyed my Monday, basking in the glory of a win, watched THAT goal on repeat and then some CJTC has to mention Jeff Kenna and Warren Barton. Why don't you throw in a Dean Holdsworth coming on up front at Colchester to COMPLETELY ruin my day.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

You can't really blame the club as a whole for this situation.

At the point the transfer window shut we had good cover at right back.......  For a Nigel Pearson team.

The problem is, we now have a Steve McClaren team and we don't have ample cover because he uses his fullbacks differently.

This is another example of Agent Ostrich selling us down the river,,,

A bit harsh. I am not a fan of Pearson, but he came here with his own ideas of how his team would evolve and I guess he thought it would work as it has done for him before.

He didn't probably think " I will buy players that will screw McClaren over when I get sacked".

I am sure he was building for his long term future.

Didn't work out.

20 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

No way????

I have watched him every game he has played and don't think i've ever seen him properly kick a ball with his right foot.

Can use both feet I believe, but prominently right footed.

This video will help with noticing he's right footed, or have I not sensed the sarcasm? I'm confused!  

36 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

ina  4-3-3 it's so important that the rb is good at going forward. got to be Anya for me.

Hanson is miles off being a good player in this league for me!

Baird, just no.

ANYA!

Nowhere near as important as being defensively sound. If Christie is out for a while then I reckon we have potentially a major problem since I don't think Hanson is an adequate alternative, Anya çould be found wanting by far post crosses from our left flank and it's a high risk option to go with another inexperienced fullback drawn from the youth setup. Even though he's not of the standard we need, as I see it, Baird may be our only short-term answer.

Unless of course we were to go 5 at the back in which case Anya becomes a viable option, though I'd  be surprised if this would be in McLarens' mind.

46 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Can't people remember that when we had Wisdom here he wasn't as adventurous going forward which allowed Fozzy to be more attacking, at times Wisdom tucked in to effectively make a back 3. Maybe this could happen with Baird and allow Lowe or Olsson to be more attacking and play with a little more freedom.

This was exactly what I was gonna say. Just get Baird to pull across to create the back three that wisdom used to create when fozzy attacked. 

33 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Wisdom was still steady and good in possession when going forward when needed. The player dropping in to make a back 3 when we are attacking should be the player in the holding role with both left back and right back bombing on and creating width.

Let's be honest Wisdom was not a better technical player than Baird. As much as people hate Baird he made a top flight career, he could more than do a job we just have to accept he isn't going to be marauding down the right wing.

Baird is a good solid full back.

To say you want a winger type full back as the only option which will do, is more a damnation of the likes of Ince and our other wide players who cant take their man on.

It seems for whatever reason rams fans hate Baird. Neverunderstood it, Whilst baird has played left back, centreback and defensive midfield for us. he is still a right back and has more premier league europa league and international level experience in that position than anyone else we have had at the club in recent times.

3 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Baird is a good solid full back.

To say you want a winger type full back as the only option which will do, is more a damnation of the likes of Ince and our other wide players who cant take their man on.

It seems for whatever reason rams fans hate Baird. Neverunderstood it, Whilst baird has played left back, centreback and defensive midfield for us. he is still a right back and has more premier league europa league and international level experience in that position than anyone else we have had at the club in recent times.

Few fans had their fragile egos damaged when he dared to react to them getting on his back about two games into his career for passing the ball backwards to his team mates. He got booed that match and it pretty much signed the death of his time here in some fans eyes.

same reason as some fans spend hours after the match analysing our players goal celebrations.....

35 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Can use both feet I believe, but prominently right footed.

This video will help with noticing he's right footed, or have I not sensed the sarcasm? I'm confused!  

Granted, there's no defending on that video but on most of it he uses his right foot. He seems to be one of those rare players that is comfortably able to use both right & left depending on which side he is playing. If he can defend then it's a no-brainer isn't it ?

2 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Do you think we need another RB in January? If so who would you go for? and how much would you pay for them?

No, no-one and nothing.

Our squad and wage bill is enormous and we have plenty of people capable of playing right-back. We should be letting players go before we get anyone else in.

20 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

This was exactly what I was gonna say. Just get Baird to pull across to create the back three that wisdom used to create when fozzy attacked. 

Let's be honest Wisdom was not a better technical player than Baird. As much as people hate Baird he made a top flight career, he could more than do a job we just have to accept he isn't going to be marauding down the right wing.

Baird doesn't maraud anywhere....

Anya is 100% right footed. A lot of wingers tend to dribble with their opposite foot when dribbling on the outside to create vertical angles and makes it easier to cut back but when on one on one situations they use their stronger foot to push the ball forward(see the below video) . Some of the best wingers in the world like Neymar and Hazard do it. For me, Anya should be our right back because he has the speed to go up and down the pitch. We suffered when Christie went off on Saturday.

Had a quick look at the free agents list only two that I can see are Joey o Brien 30 released  by West ham but not a great injury record and Marco Motta who played at Watford in their promotion season but for Charlton last season.

So not much out there.

Archived