The Right Back Situation

RamsPolls

8 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Had a quick look at the free agents list only two that I can see are Joey o Brien 30 released  by West ham but not a great injury record and Marco Motta who played at Watford in their promotion season but for Charlton last season.

So not much out there.

How about Austrian international György Garics played in bundesliga and Serie A

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I would go for Baird. Looks like after sat Mac sees Hanson ahead of Anya. Keogh is a no, why change 2 positions to fill 1. Some people will do anything to edge keogh out the team. For whatever reason seems Mac doesn't fancy Anya. It's not as simple as putting a left back there and thinking he is a left back so can play right back. We have potentially more than enough creativity in the team to get away with playing Baird. 

15 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

perhaps its horses for courses and use Baird in games where we are likely to be under pressure and defending is the priority interchanging with Anya for when we need to be more adventurous.

Anya looks lightening on the vids - but is he a bit small? missed Fozzys height at LB.....

The last thing we want is Baird having to defend.....

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Well I would go for Baird. Looks like after sat Mac sees Hanson ahead of Anya. Keogh is a no, why change 2 positions to fill 1. Some people will do anything to edge keogh out the team. For whatever reason seems Mac doesn't fancy Anya. It's not as simple as putting a left back there and thinking he is a left back so can play right back. We have potentially more than enough creativity in the team to get away with playing Baird. 

No no no......

Honestly Christie's injury is disastrous. We have no really good option to play there now, with questions marks over every player who could play there.

Anya - Probably the best option. Would provide the width that Christie does, isn't going to be beat for pace, doesn't go hiding, is comfortable on the ball and means we can maintain a highline. Just difficult to tell how he will be defensively. 

Hanson - Maybe could step up but won't give you the width Christie did. Also I have doubts (particularly after saturday) about his defending.

Baird - Think our play would struggle with him in the side. We wouldn't be able as a high a line because he is so slow, would give next to nothing going forward and looks ponderous on the ball.

Keogh - Could be ok but it'd be a square peg in a round hole, it'd really disrupt the rest of the defence and we'd struggle at the back because a Pearce/Shackell pairing would be too slow

Santos/Stabana - Both very inexperienced and difficult to know if they could step.

Is it just me that doesn't think Baird is THAT bad?

I don't think he's good enough for the starting 11

When he plays LB you have to remember he's totally right footed no matter how many times we hear that he can play either full back. He can't. You can't expect him to do much at LB other than the basics. 

At RB and DM I think he's always been "meh". Nothing great and nothing horrific. I don't really understand why we always have to have the worst player ever (Best, Johnson etc). 

If he plays RB then he'll defend as well as Cyrus (who's defending this season has been really dodgy at times.) And he'll attack very basically (will just play the easiest ball straight away) something Cyrus could do more of. 

You'll just get a really basic RB. So long as Cyrus isn't out for long I think that's ok?

The thing about Anya is that you've lost even more height and strength in our team. I'd personally go with Anya but I would fully understand if Baird starts while Cyrus is out.

Just now, Alpha said:

Is it just me that doesn't think Baird is THAT bad?

I don't think he's good enough for the starting 11

When he plays LB you have to remember he's totally right footed no matter how many times we hear that he can play either full back. He can't. You can't expect him to do much at LB other than the basics. 

At RB and DM I think he's always been "meh". Nothing great and nothing horrific. I don't really understand why we always have to have the worst player ever (Best, Johnson etc). 

If he plays RB then he'll defend as well as Cyrus (who's defending this season has been really dodgy at times.) And he'll attack very basically (will just play the easiest ball straight away) something Cyrus could do more of. 

You'll just get a really basic RB. 

The thing about Anya is that you've lost even more height and strength in our team. I'd personally go with Anya but I would fully understand if Baird starts while Cyrus is out.

It's that Baird is particularly bad but he is very unsuited to the role. We want our fullbacks to provide the width for the team to allow the likes of Ince freedom to cut inside and hurt teams. We also need the fullback to be relatively fast so he can a) quickly get back into position if the ball is lost when he forays forward and critically b) so that we can play a highline and keep the opposition penned in. It's no good playing a highline with a slow fullback because a quick winger will expose him and all your good work comes unstuck. 

2 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

If the form of Ince continues then we won't have to be as reliant on a RB to create. Plus we can shore up defensively. Also If Keogh has a more solid RB alongside him it may help him as he won't have to overcompensate as much. 

The problem with this logic is that it becomes a lot easier to close Ince out if there isn't a full back bombing round him, the opposition can double up on him and mark him out the game because there is no punishment (in the form of christie) for doing so.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Think some have been banging the "Baird is awful" drum so loudly and for so long, a lot of fans have the beat stuck in their head.

Yeah I just see little trends. Someone will slate a player for something and then everyone starts watching that player looking for errors. 

And you get knobbers where Derby will lose, Baird will have played and then all Facebook and Twitter will have "can't believe he started Baird"

These people didn't even see the match!! 

It's like take Will Hughes. A few have had a pop at him this season. Cool. Then after the Wolves game people talk about the 2 passes (Bent and Vydra) and say he needs to do it more often. 

No mention at all of the chance he created for Vydra at Huddersfield. A chance arguably easier than Bent's. Why? Because many people didn't see it. 

And that's what you seem to get. If a player has a bad time on TV or at the ipro then they are also in the firing line for when we lose games that people don't see. If they don't get mentioned by Ramage  (who gets players wrong quite a lot) then they've not played well.

So you can completely go OTT on a player who's plodding along. 

And that's what Baird does imo. Plod along. But he's a marked man. If his name is even associated with a defeat then he's hammered for it. Even though he probably did nothing wrong (or right).

He's actually quite boring. Because he doesn't do anything. Doesn't pull up trees or... er, fall out of them. 

He's just "meh". 

But on social media he's the worst player since Claude

46 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

perhaps its horses for courses and use Baird in games where we are likely to be under pressure and defending is the priority interchanging with Anya for when we need to be more adventurous.

Anya looks lightening on the vids - but is he a bit small? missed Fozzys height at LB.....

This would be my preferred option. Baird is much better on right hand side and knowing he will stay back allows other players like Johnson  to venture forward occasionally instead.

Anya could play a more attacking role from right back but he is away on international duty so I can't see this happening straight away. I think he'd need some serious coaching time one on one with Chrissy Powell before we go that way. 

Archived