The Right Back Situation

RamsPolls

I've never seen Anya play anywhere near the RB position, so I can't see him there. I haven't been impressed with Hanson either, but Baird played well when thrown in at left back recently, so I think he'll get the job done. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I've never seen Anya play anywhere near the RB position, so I can't see him there. I haven't been impressed with Hanson either, but Baird played well when thrown in at left back recently, so I think he'll get the job done. 

He played that position few times at Watford and also I think he did played in this position for Scotland summer 2015 against Qatar. 

If I was Mac I'd be having Hanson training seperately for parts of training over the next 2 weeks to have Powell teach him how to perform the full back duty properly and help convert him to the role, he's our best option till January I believe. Beyond that we've had return of the Mac, so I think it's time for return of the wis...

59 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Some ridiculous suggestions on here re RB position.. 

Olsson???

Russell???

Johnson??? 

Rawson???

Next one will be saying Carson.. 

:lol:

Chris Powell as player coach or Marc Edworthy. Pretty sure they could do a job. 

I'm not sure Baird is the perfect solution  either, but to be fair to him, as he ever had a string of games in one position since he's been here? Under Maclaren and Powell he could really put in a shift and be another 'Eustace'. He's never gonna have the pace, but as a stop gap 'til January, he's not the worst option ever. And we have a great man manager and an ex England and Derby wing back to coach him. Be good to see him have some good games for Derby. As someone has said before, he's often maligned, but he's basically been used as utility sub since he was signed, so it'd be good to give him a few games.

Btw, can either Lowe or Olsen play on the right?.....just in case everything I've said above turns out to be a load of old pony!?!

Baird hasn't got the legs to get up and down and therefore stays put.

that severely weakens us

we need overlapping full backs.

Whats happened to santos? They were trying to convert him into a full back?

At 21 it might be time for him to show what he can do

I think we have been brain washed on this forum to think 'Bird' is awful by some people.

He's not that bad.. Fair enough he plays sideways balls all the time or back.. He'll be solid and that's what we need at times. As long as he gets help from the RM we'll be ok. Just hope the opposition doesn't see that we'll attack a lot down the left!

4 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

I think we have been brain washed on this forum to think 'Bird' is awful by some people.

He's not that bad.. Fair enough he plays sideways balls all the time or back.. He'll be solid and that's what we need at times. As long as he gets help from the RM we'll be ok. Just hope the opposition doesn't see that we'll attack a lot down the left!

Illusory truth is a powerful thing.

11 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Chris Powell as player coach or Marc Edworthy. Pretty sure they could do a job. 

The real reason we haven't seen much of Camara is Edworthy doesn't like to let him out of his pocket ever since Barker's testimonial match.

14 hours ago, Alpha said:

Is it just me that doesn't think Baird is THAT bad?

I don't think he's good enough for the starting 11

When he plays LB you have to remember he's totally right footed no matter how many times we hear that he can play either full back. He can't. You can't expect him to do much at LB other than the basics. 

At RB and DM I think he's always been "meh". Nothing great and nothing horrific. I don't really understand why we always have to have the worst player ever (Best, Johnson etc). 

If he plays RB then he'll defend as well as Cyrus (who's defending this season has been really dodgy at times.) And he'll attack very basically (will just play the easiest ball straight away) something Cyrus could do more of. 

You'll just get a really basic RB. So long as Cyrus isn't out for long I think that's ok?

The thing about Anya is that you've lost even more height and strength in our team. I'd personally go with Anya but I would fully understand if Baird starts while Cyrus is out.

Alpha - It would totally take away an attacking dimension from the team. RB (and LB) is more pivotal under Mac than under any other manager we have had recently. His play in the past two games has impressed me, but Baird won't give you the options that an attacking full back would give.

This would mean less space for other players (Noticeably Ince) and it would restrict their game. I also don't think Baird is that good defensively. 1 on 1 he will get killed as he now jumps in and ends up being flat footed.

Mac wants us to score more goals and win games - the best way would be to put Anya in there. Rotherham and Norwich at home, Wigan away. Nothing we should fear there.

Alpha has a point and it would explain things IF Baird is chosen, but I agree with @rammielb.

A lot rests on our left and right backs in the 433 set up .. look how we have improved with Lowe's attacking intent. Cyrus for all his ups and downs is dynamic. He adds momentum. We need backs that drive forward otherwise we lack options and the front line gets starved.

Baird is solid enough all things considered, but for me he is in game injury cover on the bench. I suppose you might pick him away from home against a side that are slowish on the left.

t home against a poor side, when we need to keep up the recovery .. sorry Chris, it's our own fuzzy haired hyperactive scotsman for me  :)

Tough to call what we will end up with, options available 

Anya - the attacking thrust is very important to us so probably worth seeing how it would work

Baird -  if it is just defending then fine but we need to attack down there and he is limited

Hanson - during a game OK fine but not to start if we can help it

Keogh - not keen on moving centre halfs but he has played the position before and he would be charging down the flank like Christie and shackell could step in at CH and it would keep a good header of the ball in the team defensively having lost Christie 

Are we not lucky to have these options available to us as many other teams do not

maybe stick some cash under Sheffield United nose and get John Brayford back on January the first as he can do everything defensively.

12 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Tough to call what we will end up with, options available 

Anya - the attacking thrust is very important to us so probably worth seeing how it would work

Baird -  if it is just defending then fine but we need to attack down there and he is limited

Hanson - during a game OK fine but not to start if we can help it

Keogh - not keen on moving centre halfs but he has played the position before and he would be charging down the flank like Christie and shackell could step in at CH and it would keep a good header of the ball in the team defensively having lost Christie 

Are we not lucky to have these options available to us as many other teams do not

maybe stick some cash under Sheffield United nose and get John Brayford back on January the first as he can do everything defensively.

isnt brayford at burton?

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Yes he is on loan at Burton and available to be purchased in January, great cover player and he can do the right back role as we need it in mac's version of 433

Agree.

Archived