The Right Back Situation

RamsPolls

I have to say I am confused with the club on this front. We were talking about our squads strength in depth but why haven't we got a RB cover? I know people are going to say Chris Baird & Jamie Hanson can play there but seriously? We should've invested in a new RB to cover a situation like we are seeing now with Christie out for just around 3 months. 

Chris Baird can play RB yes, but is he sufficient? No. The reason for this is because he cannot go forward with the ball. He is fairly good defensively and doesn't do much wrong while defending, but as soon as he crosses the half way line into the opponents half, he becomes as useful as Harvey Price in a brothel. 

Jamie Hanson can also play RB, but again he isn't really sufficient to the way we want our fullbacks to play. He isn't as good as Baird defensively but he can do a job when needed and definitely isn't afraid of a tackle. But again, he isn't the best at going forward and delivering quality into the box. Ince needs the support of a fullback to be able to cut inside and be effective in the game, without that he gets isolated and struggles to make an impact. 

The reality is that we are stuck with either of these players at RB at least until January but whether we will invest in another RB remains to be seen as Christie will be around 1 month away from Fitness. We do need a better cover RB but whether the club deem Chris Baird & Jamie Hanson sufficient cover is obviously their choice - Anya could also play this role but from what I have seen of him, he isn't too fond of using his right foot which concerns me.

I personally would go in for Callum Paterson from Hearts. He has scored 5 goals this season and has the best attacking prowess of any of the defenders in the Scottish league. He wouldn't cost a massive amount either due to him crossing the border into a better league, We are probably only talking £1-2m.

Any how, We are without Cyrus Christie for at least 3 months which on his current form is a massive loss.

Personally I think we need to take a gamble on another RB in January because this will also give Christie competition for when he is fully fit.

Do you think we need another RB in January? If so who would you go for? and how much would you pay for them? 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't really blame the club as a whole for this situation.

At the point the transfer window shut we had good cover at right back.......  For a Nigel Pearson team.

The problem is, we now have a Steve McClaren team and we don't have ample cover because he uses his fullbacks differently.

This is another example of Agent Ostrich selling us down the river,,,

8 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

You can't really blame the club as a whole for this situation.

At the point the transfer window shut we had good cover at right back.......  For a Nigel Pearson team.

The problem is, we now have a Steve McClaren team and we don't have ample cover because he uses his fullbacks differently.

This is another example of Agent Ostrich selling us down the river,,,

True, Good way to look at it I suppose. 

Imagine if we had signed De Laet though. He would've been perfect.

1 minute ago, RamsPolls said:

True, Good way to look at it I suppose. 

Imagine if we had signed De Laet though. He would've been perfect.

Yeah as I'm sure he would have joined us to sit on the bench....

some people need a reality check. We can not have a back up or multiple back ups for every position on the pitch who can just sit and wait. The squad and ffp won't allow for it.

we have Baird, Hanson as well as academy lads who can fill his place.

all his rubbish about changing formation or playing players massively out of position is laughable too. It will be Baird or Hanson filling the position. Get used to it. We can not have premiership right backs sat on our bench just incase.

1 minute ago, KBB said:

Yeah as I'm sure he would have joined us to sit on the bench....

some people need a reality check. We can not have a back up or multiple back ups for every position on the pitch who can just sit and wait. The squad and ffp won't allow for it.

we have Baird, Hanson as well as academy lads who can fill his place.

all his rubbish about changing formation or playing players massively out of position is laughable too. It will be Baird or Hanson filling the position. Get used to it. We can not have premiership right backs sat on our bench just incase.

At the start of the season I would have played De Laet over Christie anyway. 

And we ought to be able to have someone better than Chris Baird to cover a RB spot I'm afraid. No need for a reality check at all, If we are a club who wants to be a premier league club. We should be able to have a better RB cover than what we have available. 

Just now, RamsPolls said:

At the start of the season I would have played De Laet over Christie anyway. 

And we ought to be able to have someone better than Chris Baird to cover a RB spot I'm afraid. No need for a reality check at all, If we are a club who wants to be a premier league club. We should be able to have a better RB cover than what we have available. 

Sorry mate but I think you do need a reality check.

like people saying we should have signed Rhodes as back up to Martin....

of we had signed de laet do you think Christie would have been happy to just sit on the bench at a crucial time in his career?

Is this Cyrus first injury in his 3 seasons with us? Can't really go out and sign a championship quality RB when the one we have hasn't really missed a minute of football since he signed. It is a shame but Wel have to deal with is as best we can. We have Baird, Hanson, Anya and Stabana who can play RB. This might be the opportunity for another young lad to stake a claim who knows. 

Anya will probably be the best bet if we want to keep our attacking threat down that side, not sure how hel cope defensively but something tells me playing fullback isn't something new to him, sure he's played quite a few times there for Watford?

Just now, KBB said:

Sorry mate but I think you do need a reality check.

like people saying we should have signed Rhodes as back up to Martin....

of we had signed de laet do you think Christie would have been happy to just sit on the bench at a crucial time in his career?

I wasn't one of those people asking for Rhodes as backup. 

Everyone knew we had a weakness at the RB spot. That's why we were linked with endless amounts of right backs in the summer. We didn't bring one in, I do agree that Christie is more than good enough to fill that spot. But in situations like this we have sold ourselves short. Chris Baird should be playing in league 2 for Notts County, Not on £20k a week in the championship. Hanson needs to learn and develop but doesn't look comfortable in the Right back spot.

I'm not saying this is all down to not signing De Laet, but we should have brought in a lower league right back that can do a solid job. Like we did with Warnock. He came in and wanted to play but knew he'd have to bide his time and he did a solid job for us. 

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Hanson was bullied by Cavilero of Wolves. Offers little going forward. Think I'd rather have Baird there than Hanson

Any decent academy RB's? 

Exactly why we should have brought someone in this summer. He got bullied because Wolves knew he isn't a natural RB. 

Not sure if they're any that could make the step up to the first team.

Now the Cyrus is confirmed as a long term injury I think we, the fans, need to get the following in our head as early as possible

1. We can not get anyone in on loan ASAP as it is no longer allowed.

2. Andre wisdom is not the only other right back in professional football.

3. We could not have multiple "first choice" right backs just incase one got injured.

4. We are not going to change to multiple formations or move players around to avoid playing Baird at right back.

5. The obvious choices to fill the position are Hanson, Baird and Anya.

6. The reason we have players like Baird is for this such occurrence.

7. We know Baird isn't a similar player to Cyrus, so when he passes the ball backwards rather than do a zidane 360, if you boo or jeer, you are a cretin.

8. Keogh isn't a right back as long as I've got a hole in my ar5e

21 minutes ago, KBB said:

Now the Cyrus is confirmed as a long term injury I think we, the fans, need to get the following in our head as early as possible

1. We can not get anyone in on loan ASAP as it is no longer allowed.

2. Andre wisdom is not the only other right back in professional football.

3. We could not have multiple "first choice" right backs just incase one got injured.

4. We are not going to change to multiple formations or move players around to avoid playing Baird at right back.

5. The obvious choices to fill the position are Hanson, Baird and Anya.

6. The reason we have players like Baird is for this such occurrence.

7. We know Baird isn't a similar player to Cyrus, so when he passes the ball backwards rather than do a zidane 360, if you boo or jeer, you are a cretin.

8. Keogh isn't a right back as long as I've got a hole in my ar5e

You're Sarah Baird, and I claim my £5

Archived