The Right Back Situation

RamsPolls

Not Keogh for me at RB - the goal at Huddersfield was down to the cross being allowed to come in by him and he did a similar thing at Wolves on Saturday for their second. I'd go with Hanson he might find it better understanding the RB position I think he's struggled with positional sense in the middle. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

It's that Baird is particularly bad but he is very unsuited to the role. We want our fullbacks to provide the width for the team to allow the likes of Ince freedom to cut inside and hurt teams. We also need the fullback to be relatively fast so he can a) quickly get back into position if the ball is lost when he forays forward and critically b) so that we can play a highline and keep the opposition penned in. It's no good playing a highline with a slow fullback because a quick winger will expose him and all your good work comes unstuck. 

Wisdom very rarely did in 2013/14. Think I remember one cross that led to a goal from him, he was solid at RB

15 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

It's that Baird is particularly bad but he is very unsuited to the role. We want our fullbacks to provide the width for the team to allow the likes of Ince freedom to cut inside and hurt teams. We also need the fullback to be relatively fast so he can a) quickly get back into position if the ball is lost when he forays forward and critically b) so that we can play a highline and keep the opposition penned in. It's no good playing a highline with a slow fullback because a quick winger will expose him and all your good work comes unstuck. 

I agree with you and that's a fine reason to not start him. It's just the hammering he gets for being crap that I don't get. 

He doesn't fit

He's not good

But he's not total crap. He's just a really basic player. I wouldn't watch him if he was playing on Alvaston park. But I wouldn't tear into him on social media after he's played for Derby either. Has he ever really had a proper stinker? Any more than anyone else? 

14 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

The problem with this logic is that it becomes a lot easier to close Ince out if there isn't a full back bombing round him, the opposition can double up on him and mark him out the game because there is no punishment (in the form of christie) for doing so.

I understand that. In an ideal world Anya and Ince bombing down the right would be good. And if they can work on it over the next 2 weeks (is Anya away with Scotland?) we could have something. But for now Baird would be the most safe option. There's two ways to look at it, our next game is at home to Rotherham so with Baird in the team we should still have enough to beat them or play Anya against a poorer opponent and see how he does. Luckily we have someone in a better more informed position than us to make the decision!

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Either Keogh or Anya.....or i'll fill in. I am slightly rotund and over 50....

As I've said Keogh is a no due to having to change 2 positions to solve 1. Again, Anya may be the best choice but not sure Mac fancies him. I remember a lot of people being unhappy when Eustace played as he was passed it and look how that turned out. Have faith and support the player given the shirt. 

I hold my hands up and say before the Wednesday game when I found out Bent was playing my heart sunk. 2 good performances on and I'm glad to say I was wrong. We might not like some selections but writing players off before the whistle has blown is just damn right daft. 

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's like take Will Hughes. A few have had a pop at him this season. Cool. Then after the Wolves game people talk about the 2 passes (Bent and Vydra) and say he needs to do it more often. 

No mention at all of the chance he created for Vydra at Huddersfield. A chance arguably easier than Bent's. Why? Because many people didn't see it. 

That'll be me then, ;)

I did say he's been poor in his first 10-12, that's a good 5/6 games ago now. He was very good vs Bristol city and has been on the up since. Unfortunately for us, it's taken more than a quarter of the season to see anything resembling of the Hughes we know, that's not good enough for a player of his talent in my book. Long may his improved form continue,

24 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah I just see little trends. Someone will slate a player for something and then everyone starts watching that player looking for errors. 

And you get knobbers where Derby will lose, Baird will have played and then all Facebook and Twitter will have "can't believe he started Baird"

These people didn't even see the match!! 

It's like take Will Hughes. A few have had a pop at him this season. Cool. Then after the Wolves game people talk about the 2 passes (Bent and Vydra) and say he needs to do it more often. 

No mention at all of the chance he created for Vydra at Huddersfield. A chance arguably easier than Bent's. Why? Because many people didn't see it. 

And that's what you seem to get. If a player has a bad time on TV or at the ipro then they are also in the firing line for when we lose games that people don't see. If they don't get mentioned by Ramage  (who gets players wrong quite a lot) then they've not played well.

So you can completely go OTT on a player who's plodding along. 

And that's what Baird does imo. Plod along. But he's a marked man. If his name is even associated with a defeat then he's hammered for it. Even though he probably did nothing wrong (or right).

He's actually quite boring. Because he doesn't do anything. Doesn't pull up trees or... er, fall out of them. 

He's just "meh". 

But on social media he's the worst player since Claude

It's the number one reason I don't have twitter, Facebook etc.

I'd quite like to sign up and read stuff that interests me, then I look on it and decide its not worth wading through the crap for the good bits!

For example, I wanted to read Cyrus's tweet last night, but all I could find was some nobber called @Derbynewz abusing Jeff Hendrick.

I can't believe how unlucky we are with injuries... Both our attacking full backs out with long term injuries. We need to have an attacking full back to replace christie. That lets Ince cut inside while the full back goes outside. I would go with anya, altho I don't think he's very good defensively. But Christies injury is a major blow to our hopes of a surge to the play offs. 

32 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

That'll be me then, ;)

I did say he's been poor in his first 10-12, that's a good 5/6 games ago now. He was very good vs Bristol city and has been on the up since. Unfortunately for us, it's taken more than a quarter of the season to see anything resembling of the Hughes we know, that's not good enough for a player of his talent in my book. Long may his improved form continue,

I don't think I can argue he's been at his best all season but the whole team shape and style was just not for him. 

I didn't mean you though. You always are fair in your analysis. You don't just tear into a player or mock them. 

I realise this might sound controversial to some but and wait for it, as a back up to your main full back Chris Baird isn't that bad.

hes not Christie in terms of attacking ability and yes I know that means we lose something down that side but as a back up at this level, he's ok.

add to that Hanson can play there I can't see too many clubs at this level carrying 2 out and out right backs of sufficient quality in case one gets injured, then also carry another 2 that can also deputise, one being a seasoned pro with quite a fair level of experience and the other a young up and coming. 

Chrisites misfortune could be hansons good fortune and let's give the lad a dam good run at it,instead of a cameo 45.

Just think max Lowe, the door opened for him when fozzy and Olsson were unavailable so perhaps the same can happen for Hanson and he'all make that position his own.

hes got ability, he just for me needs to nail down a position before he gets pigeon holed in the jack of all trades master of none category.

fortunately time is on his side for now but this is an opportunity he could do with grabbing 

all that said I wouldn't be upset to anya there at all, retain that attacking threat, although his final ball really needs to be worked on 

Totally agree with the Anya consensus! I'd argue he's probably got a better end product than CC too. 

Could be a master stroke in terms of increasing the attacking intent, would hate to be a defender facing that sort of pace and tenacity from a full back. 

46 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Thorne will be back soon. That will enable Bradders to play right back. 

Or use Bird in the "holding role". He can then hold on to opposition players, to try to stop them whizzing past him!

our Bradley Johnson?lol

I would be frightened to death for him and us if god forbid he was faced isoloated on the flank with a pacey winger running at him, it could be x rated  stuff lol 

What situation? 

Hanson has done well previously at RB (against forest??) I'm sure he can do that job fine anyway.

Anya as an attacking option - probably like for like with Christie ish?

What's everyone's beef with Baird??? Perfectly capable and experienced.

Sad for Cyrus, hope he gets back soon - but no big deal - we got cover.

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

As I've said Keogh is a no due to having to change 2 positions to solve 1. Again, Anya may be the best choice but not sure Mac fancies him. I remember a lot of people being unhappy when Eustace played as he was passed it and look how that turned out. Have faith and support the player given the shirt. 

I hold my hands up and say before the Wednesday game when I found out Bent was playing my heart sunk. 2 good performances on and I'm glad to say I was wrong. We might not like some selections but writing players off before the whistle has blown is just damn right daft. 

I will be only too happy to admit I was wrong if Baird does play and does well. I just honestly think he is now over the hill and needs to drop a couple of divisions to finish off his career.

Archived