The Right Back Situation

RamsPolls

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly as @JoeDerby said. The formation means that our full backs need to be getting up and down. Our midfield is very central which leaves a hell of a lot of space out wide.

With Hanson on Saturday we nearly threw the game away. That's not to criticise him as such but his style was suited to Wolves attacking. Cavaleiro no longer had to worry about a double attack whenever we had the ball. Cyrus was high up the pitch which meant their winger had to drop back so the full back wasn't doubled up on. Hanson comes on and suddenly Cavaleiro has freedom and gave Jamie a torrid time.

Hanson's not quick enough to be a full back. He's not big enough to be a Wisdom type of defender. Basically he's not a right back. Anya for me will provide the closest cover to Christie as his pace and attacking nature will give teams something to worry about. He also has played defence a lot in his career. Mainly left back but he's not a stranger to any position on either flank.

Play Anya there until January. Work on a loan deal now. Just because they can't arrive until January doesn't mean we can't line one up. Beginning of January, the loanee comes in and then when Christie is fit again, the competition to win his place back certainly won't do him any harm.

36 minutes ago, deano180 said:

Keogh never seems able to stop the wide player getting crosses in, see our last two away games when he finds himself out there - 2 goals conceded

Wrong thread.  Keogh bashers need to congregate in the 'always got a mistake' section

44 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Anya or Keogh... Hanson and Baird a no no...

We have a ready made sub sitting on the bench who will bring the same energy to the role of RB.as Christie does.

PLEASE bring ANYA back in from the cold and give him the slot.  We have seen him at left back and he can play MF/B on both sides of the pitch.  If he had been allowed to play in the second half on Sat, the left wing wouldn't have been their main line of attack. Pearson may have bought him but he is a willing and skillful player we should be pleased to have at our club and utilise his abilities.

Oh God, I hope it's not Hanson - one of the most over rated youth players to come through the academy. He's a league one player as opposed to Lowe and Rawson who proved they can be good at this level. 

Has to be Anya for attacking reasons and pace. BIRD is more than adequate as a defensive rb.

Can't people remember that when we had Wisdom here he wasn't as adventurous going forward which allowed Fozzy to be more attacking, at times Wisdom tucked in to effectively make a back 3. Maybe this could happen with Baird and allow Lowe or Olsson to be more attacking and play with a little more freedom.

14 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

ina  4-3-3 it's so important that the rb is good at going forward. got to be Anya for me.

Hanson is miles off being a good player in this league for me!

Baird, just no.

ANYA!

But he can't use his right foot :huh:

13 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Can't people remember that when we had Wisdom here he wasn't as adventurous going forward which allowed Fozzy to be more attacking, at times Wisdom tucked in to effectively make a back 3. Maybe this could happen with Baird and allow Lowe or Olsson to be more attacking and play with a little more freedom.

Wisdom was still steady and good in possession when going forward when needed. The player dropping in to make a back 3 when we are attacking should be the player in the holding role with both left back and right back bombing on and creating width.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

I have to say I am confused with the club on this front. We were talking about our squads strength in depth but why haven't we got a RB cover? I know people are going to say Chris Baird & Jamie Hanson can play there but seriously? We should've invested in a new RB to cover a situation like we are seeing now with Christie out for just around 3 months. 

Chris Baird can play RB yes, but is he sufficient? No. The reason for this is because he cannot go forward with the ball. He is fairly good defensively and doesn't do much wrong while defending, but as soon as he crosses the half way line into the opponents half, he becomes as useful as Harvey Price in a brothel. 

Jamie Hanson can also play RB, but again he isn't really sufficient to the way we want our fullbacks to play. He isn't as good as Baird defensively but he can do a job when needed and definitely isn't afraid of a tackle. But again, he isn't the best at going forward and delivering quality into the box. Ince needs the support of a fullback to be able to cut inside and be effective in the game, without that he gets isolated and struggles to make an impact. 

The reality is that we are stuck with either of these players at RB at least until January but whether we will invest in another RB remains to be seen as Christie will be around 1 month away from Fitness. We do need a better cover RB but whether the club deem Chris Baird & Jamie Hanson sufficient cover is obviously their choice - Anya could also play this role but from what I have seen of him, he isn't too fond of using his right foot which concerns me.

I personally would go in for Callum Paterson from Hearts. He has scored 5 goals this season and has the best attacking prowess of any of the defenders in the Scottish league. He wouldn't cost a massive amount either due to him crossing the border into a better league, We are probably only talking £1-2m.

Any how, We are without Cyrus Christie for at least 3 months which on his current form is a massive loss.

Personally I think we need to take a gamble on another RB in January because this will also give Christie competition for when he is fully fit.

Do you think we need another RB in January? If so who would you go for? and how much would you pay for them? 

Good player Paterson. Should be able to play at Championship level after all I believe he's a Scottish international. Good shout .

Who is Harvey Price?:mellow:

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Anya or Keogh... Hanson and Baird a no no...

Totally agree. Baird is now the equivalent of the latter period of having Jeff Kenna and Warren Barton. Decent pro's in their day, but not what is required when they have lost all of their pace......

Archived