Player power strikes again

YouRams

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Well there is a pretty good reason for that. Our awful manager left us in a terrible position. For us to make 75 points now we need 64 points from 35 games, 1.82 per game which would be 84 over a season, only one point less than we managed in McClaren's first year.

And 75 points may not even be enough!

The team played Ok at Cardiff and Reading, but as under Wassall it won't click straight away as the damage under Pearson isn't easy to brush aside.

Pearson ruined our promotion prospects this season in just 9 games. That's how awful he was.

Nothing to do with certain players being **** then 

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the suspension situation, he was a terrible manager for us. 

McClaren was very good for us, until the end weeks. 

Clement was pretty good until it went south. 

I even feel Nigel Clough did a difficult job OK. 

Pearson has been almost as bad as paul jewell, and paul jewell had a decent reputation before coming here. McClarens rep was dire when we hired him. 

We'd scored four times as many goals, conceded one goals less, had four more points on the board and progressed a round further in the cup under Jewell by the point at which Pearson had been suspended this season! I'd say Pearson probably edges Jewell!

I think Mel does a lot more for the general well being of the club than he's given credit for. I'm actually quite glad we have a chairman who's not afraid to confront Pearson when there's an issue that needs to be addressed. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

What clique? We have six players remaining from 13/14, two of whom are long term injuries and one of whom who was injured for Blackburn. We have a further three remaining from 14/15. 

Thus - any clique would be by and large be comprised of players signed last summer and we've just gotten rid of the wrong players OR this idea of a clique is nonsense and Pearson went too far.

A lot has been said of a clique of certain players. Will get in trouble for naming I'm sure. 

1 minute ago, Waffle said:

I think Mel does a lot more for the general well being of the club than he's given credit for. I'm actually quite glad we have a chairman who's not afraid to confront Pearson when there's an issue that needs to be addressed. 

What needed to be addressed? The fact a few little babies had a whine to the owner because they didn't like being told off?

Don't play like a **** and you won't get told off. Such a pampered bunch of premadonnas. You don't think Dyche hands out bollockings? 

I thought the issue was with the way the meeting between MM and NP which brought about the "suspension" not the issue with NP and the players (although this seems to be the starting part of it all) not that he has been suspended because of how he spoke/acted towards the players or is that just me

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Nothing to do with certain players being **** then 

If the players were playing ****, then that is a direct result of Pearson.

We finished FIFTH last season, and over the past three years our lowest tally was 77 points. Under Pearson we were on for 31 points... And relegation.

The team was playing awful, largely as a result of players being played out of position and told to do things that exposes their weaknesses rather than works to their strengths.

We have a squsd built for a fluid 433 which presses high, yet Pearson wanted us to play a deep-lying 442 formation which relies on defensive shape and counterattacking... Such a terrible appointment.

To blame the players and not Pearson for this season's debacle is ridiculous. 

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Player power strikes again? Jesus...

Nigel Pearson was absolutely gash here. He played numerous players out of position, played a really awful system and style of football, made terrible changes at key moments and then blamed the players for defeat.

I've heard it all now. Players not trying, players not adapting, players forcing manager out.

It really is simple. Pearson was just awful... If you can't see that you're blind.

The players have every right to air their views when it's blindingly obvious that their own careers were going downhill under Pearson. The team looked shot.

wow, a manager who asks a player to play in a different position, and he becomes a bad manager.

Didn't your hero Pep put Mascherano in central defence? I bet you had a right meltdown didn't you?

NO, you didn't. Because Mascherano put the team first and applied himself and gave the best professional account of himself he could.

If you can tell me that all these midfielders being asked to play in midfield, and all these attackers being asked to play in attacking roles had given there 100%, then the manager is to blame for the results and performances, but you'd be lying. They didn't. Whether he's a shocking manager or not, it doesn't deflect from the lack of professionalism, dedication, desire and integrity.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If the players were playing ****, then that is a direct result of Pearson.

We finished FIFTH last season, and over the past three years our lowest tally was 77 points. Under Pearson we were on for 31 points... And relegation.

The team was playing awful, largely as a result of players being played out of position and told to do things that exposes their weaknesses rather than works to their strengths.

We have a squsd built for a fluid 433 which presses high, yet Pearson wanted us to play a deep-lying 442 formation which relies on defensive shape and counterattacking... Such a terrible appointment.

To blame the players and not Pearson for this season's debacle is ridiculous. 

Who do you blame for a big club like Derby being in the Championship then with our spending power in the previous seasons. 

6 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

What needed to be addressed? The fact a few little babies had a whine to the owner because they didn't like being told off?

Don't play like a **** and you won't get told off. Such a pampered bunch of premadonnas. You don't think Dyche hands out bollockings? 

Effective management is finding the best way to make your employees, in this case, the players perform to their best. All managers lose it, even just playing Sunday football you'll know that. But Pearson obviously was not bringing the best out of our players. My point being that it's commendable that Mel faced someone who appears to enjoy the reputation of being feared.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Who do you blame for a big club like Derby being in the Championship then with our spending power in the previous seasons. 

We didn't have spending power in previous seasons... Not til last year...

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

wow, a manager who asks a player to play in a different position, and he becomes a bad manager.

A manager who takes a squad of players which finishes 5th into the relegation zone is a bad manager...

We have a talented enough squad that any fan in the stands should be able to pick a side which would be top half after 10 games...

I personally think they were trying. 

There was no lack off effort in the two matches I was at under NP (Brighton and Ipswich), we were arguably the better team v Ipswich. 

I think trying plan a harder might have, what? Over the season got us out the relegation zone. Yey. 

I do not think its as simple as the players werent trying, I also dont think its as simple as pearson was wrong about everything. But we were rubbish under his management. 

I dont think the players respected him, or had confidence in his instrctions, tgats not.the same as trying to carry them out. 

9 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

This is exactly the kind of message that's beginning to irritate me now. 

Some are laying into the players for acting like little babies and whining to MM without knowing what was said and how. As I have said earlier, every employee has the right to be treated with respect by their manager regardless of how badly they are at the job. 

Let's not jump to conclusions that NP did speak to them reasonably or unreasonably unless we actually know what was said. 

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Didn't your hero Pep put Mascherano in central defence? I bet you had a right meltdown didn't you?

NO, you didn't. Because Mascherano put the team first and applied himself and gave the best professional account of himself he could.

But playing Mascherano in defence in that context makes sense.  Guardiola's systems absolutely focus on keeping the ball at all costs - it is more important that the centre halves complete passes than it is they defend properly.  Mascherano is very reliable on the ball and can tackle when he needs to, so he's plenty capable of doing that job.  Punting long balls up to Vydra's head, playing Johnson as a flying winger, or asking Bryson to sit on the edge of his own box makes absolutely no sense at all.  None of those players can do the things that is being asked of them, and the same for the rest of the squad.

If you put a player in a system that allows him to do what he's good at he will do well.  If you put a player in a a system that doesn't allow him to do what he's good at and actively requires him to do things he's not good at, he won't play well.  And that's nothing to do with application or professionalism.

Archived