Player power strikes again

YouRams

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

He's a smart and shrewd guy... And a professional... Loyalty aside...

You don't publicly slag off people you worked with, you don't bad mouth a guy who's just left and you say nice things about them... That's the way to behave professionally...

They're close… I merely said that to exemplify that fact.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Rambusta said:

some pressure must be coming from above to play players that had recently cost alot of money just to have them either benched or in the U23...

4 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

There are a lot of 'big' players in the squad (ex prem and Internationals), I think you can detect a frustration that they aren't in the automatic spots. This goes back to Wassall and 3-3 Rotherham.

I don't buy this at all I'm afraid... In Wassall we had a guy who (theoretically) should have been more 'under the thumb' of ownership than any other manager and he basically went back to playing the Nigel Clough era players! If it'd been a 'big money players' issue Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman would have been on every teamsheet... But he went back (as much as possible) to Bryson, Hendrick and Russell...

9 minutes ago, Rambusta said:

It also begs the question how they (the players) would have coped with a "hairdrier" from Fegie or a "rollicking" from BC....OK the dressingroom may have been "lost" but its not as if Pearson could just sack some of them for not trying...some pressure must be coming from above to play players that had recently cost alot of money just to have them either benched or in the U23...

Fergie brought in players who would respond to that treatment he also didn't respond the same to every player, if he knew one player needed a kick up the arse to respond he would gladly do the kicking but at the same time he would also put the arm round the shoulder of those he felt responded better that way. Yes at half time when he's berating the squad and screaming and shouting the whole team is there, but he'd be careful on who was singled out for the abuse. It would be the ones he knew would take it well and could handle it.

2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Two worrying things stand out in this scenario, obviously Pearson's behaviour and the fact that we took on a manager this volatile, but also the players grouping together and stating they don't want to work for a manager is a very worrying sign!

If the working environment is toxic then these things happen 

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't buy this at all I'm afraid... In Wassall we had a guy who (theoretically) should have been more 'under the thumb' of ownership than any other manager and he basically went back to playing the Nigel Clough era players! If it'd been a 'big money players' issue Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman would have been on every teamsheet... But he went back (as much as possible) to Bryson, Hendrick and Russell...

I am not talking about a particular manager's shortcomings or being 'under the thumb', but player expectation and career ambition.

25 minutes ago, cannable said:

Powell is good friends with Pearson, clearly. Cardiff post match shows that he is still loyal to him.

If the players were massively out of order and "snaked" Pearson why would Powell stay and manage them after what they did to his friend? Why would Powell stay and work with them? 

Contract maybe, ££££ maybe, or maybe he hopes he can sort them out.........

44 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I think it's about time we stop thinking of the players as objects or commodities and start thinking of them as human beings.

If you need an arm round your shoulder and instead get a rocket up your arse, that is plainly and simply bad management. It's not unprofessional to complain to your manager's superior if you're not happy with how you're being treated.

This is how it would happen in the normal workplace, a discussion would be held between the two parties before deciding whether there was a case to answer, whether it could be resolved amicably or whether further action would be necessary. 

5 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

This is how it would happen in the normal workplace, a discussion would be held between the two parties before deciding whether there was a case to answer, whether it could be resolved amicably or whether further action would be necessary. 

Exactly, I don't see why just because it's football it should be any different. 

Maybe the players do have too much power at Derby but this example proves nothing like that.

27 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Wassal may have done...as soon as Pearson was suspended Powell brought in several of the recently purchased/expensive players that previously were either benched or not picked in the squad

3 minutes ago, Rambusta said:

Wassal may have done...as soon as Pearson was suspended Powell brought in several of the recently purchased/expensive players that previously were either benched or not picked in the squad

But he also managed to select a reasonably balanced XI that had most of the players in positions they were capable of playing, with the right system around them to let them do what they're good at.  It's pretty much the XI that I would have picked, given the squad we have.  And given that, I'd rather assume Powell is just doing a decent job, rather than some conspiracy involving Morris picking the team.  At least until we see any evidence to the contrary.

Archived