Player power strikes again

YouRams

It was meant to be light-hearted but I can't help thinking that the players moaning about Pearson and the way he wants them to play will then affect them on the pitch. You can see that when they go a goal down - practically no desire to fight back and an acceptance they won't win. Soon as Pearson is gone things are better. Its no doubt its about the players attitude. Pearson couldn't manage them so that's his big fault but IF the players were against him and his methods from the start he had no chance. No one man is bigger than the club but you can't allow players to dictate things. Seems to me Mel is between a rock and a hard place - and unfortuneatly its his own fault for appointing Pearson. But I do have sympathy for him and after all its his club and money that's being trashed.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

surely the job of everyone -  including managers and coaches, directors, and admin staff, fans, groundsmen, tea ladies and internet warriors , etc - is to support the team i.e. The players. 

To help the players to perform and the team to win.

Haranguing people rarely helps them to perform better, unless their job involves crawling under barbed wire whilst being shot at. 

Having in mind some abstract ideal performance against which to measure the imaginary failings of others is pointless.

The endless criticism and nit-picking aimed at the players is both counter productive and boring.

Whether the story about the players going into see Mel Morris is true or not it still leaves the fact that Pearson has been extremely naive, it's classic textbook management stuff - how not to behave with new staff upon joining a new business - marginalise existing high performing staff, force remaining staff into step changes straight from day one, publicly criticise staff for not being able to fit into enforced way of working. Surprisingly you end up with a lot of totally demotivated and demoralised staff. 

Just now, RamNut said:

surely the job of everyone -  including managers and coaches, directors, and admin staff, fans, groundsmen, tea ladies and internet warriors , etc - is to support the team i.e. The players. 

To help the players to perform and the team to win.

Haranguing people rarely helps them to perform better, unless their job involves crawling under barbed wired whilst being shot at. 

Having in mind some abstract ideal performance against which to measure the imaginary failings of others is pointless.

The endless criticism and nit-picking aimed at the players is both counter productive and boring.

You would think so wouldn't you... But apparently if you don't like being shouted at and publicly criticised then you are a wuss or a prima donna... 

Oh also the army method is about tough love... Emphasis on the love... If you psychologically batter and break someone why would you then trust them with a gun?!?!? :D

From the BBC.

"Powell said the players held a meeting following Saturday's 2-1 home defeat against fellow strugglers Blackburn Rovers - which was encouraged by the management group - and responded magnificently to earn their second league win of the season against Cardiff."

Questionable tactics, strange team selections, One win in nine league matches, three goals scored and languishing in the relegation places. The feedback to the chairman of the "encouraged" players meeting was hardly going to be a ringing endorsement of the manager.

Player power no...............reality check yes!

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

:lol: sue me for having an opinion on player power/managerial dismissals, Christ! Because everything reported in our countries media is backed up by hard evidence? 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Opinions, should be backed up with evidence. 

Especially when you are making an allegation against people which the potential for legal consequences.  

8 hours ago, YouRams said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/efl/1912866/derby-boss-nigel-pearson-had-to-be-physically-held-back-in-clash-with-chairman-mel-morris-that-led-to-suspension/

Take it with a pinch of salt coming from the sun, but if true the players have managed to push a second manager out the door. They deserve a grilling for the half arsed performances they are putting in, if I were Mel I'd of told the 7 players where to go and let Pearson carry on. 

Obviously not me being able to sue. However, you have accused people of deliberately seeking to get someone sacked. That has a potential legal consequence. Also obviously they won't sue you as a percentage of your paper round for the next 3 years won't cover their legal bill. 

Generally in life it's a good idea to back up an idea or opinion with fact or evidence. 

If the players can't take criticism then they are lacking what it takes to succeed at the highest level, imo.  What happens the next time a manager shouts at them, do they go running with their tails between their legs to MM again? I'm sure, although may be wrong, that it was aimed at PC and SM that they also lost the dressing room, the former being discussed at the breakfast club ? Maybe someone who was there will/can correct me on this.

The problem may be the fact that they have this relationship with the owner, in that they feel they can approach him directly to complain about a manager he put in charge, if true I would wonder if he is to close to the players, and is constantly undermining the manager.

Whatever is happening, this club is better than Eastenders for the stories that are coming out of it at the moment.

No idea if it is player power or not. I remain disappointed that this squad can seemingly change performances so quickly upon a managerial change. If that be purely down to tactical changes or not I remain unconvinced but it has all lead to me losing that affinity I felt towards the squad during 13/14. Perhaps the squad enjoyed themselves under McClaren and the freedom to express, it is quite telling that Keogh in the Derby Telegraph speaks of Powell granting them more freedom.

My belief is Pearson was appointed to improve the mental stability of the squad, to get that extra percent in tough situations. Clearly that has not happened so far. Whilst ever there is no official comment from the club, the rumours will fly, all we can do is talk rubbish until then and not be completely dismissive of people's opinions.

1 hour ago, curtains said:

You have no idea about Bradley Johnson point. 

Let me enlighten you. 

He was vilified on this forum and now he's back in the team. 

Did you criticise Bradley Johnson.  

Yes or no 

You still haven't made a point but I will go along with it for sh1ts and giggles. 

I have not criticised Bradley Johnson. I have criticised his ability, his suitability to our team and his recruitment.

Generally I don't think he has been worthy of a place in the team, however as we are currently missing the physicality of Forsyth, Martin and Thorne there is a good reason for his current inclusion. Reports have been that he hasn't played particularly well and appeared to lose his man for the equaliser at Reading, but i can see the merit in his inclusion in the current available squad. I have made a similar point in the past. 

Can I point that I didn't sign him, drop him, re-select him or paint his back bedroom.    

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Obviously not me being able to sue. However, you have accused people of deliberately seeking to get someone sacked. That has a potential legal consequence. Also obviously they won't sue you as a percentage of your paper round for the next 3 years won't cover their legal bill. 

Generally in life it's a good idea to back up an idea or opinion with fact or evidence. 

I'm no lawyer, however the key word appears to be if true? How could you sue if it turned out the story was correct, surely the people who would get sued are the ones writing the story if it's made up?

Just keen to know, as I often reference articles, and wouldnt want a lawsuit following me around for quoting something that was written by another person.

1 minute ago, sage said:

I sell multi packs of sweets on the playground that's where the money's at, paper rounds are for losers.

Here you go then a fact for you, Pearson quoted as much on RD in saying play whatever formation you like if the players won't put an effort in what can you do. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

This is Derby not North Korea.

What is wrong with saying that players have a bad attitude and are not a 'team player'.

If you want to delete all such posts I guess you head to any threads on Tom Once pretty sharpish.

Nothing wrong with that.

Next step up is saying a player is actively working to get the manager the sack. I'd say descriptive terms like "snake" are a bit personal,  don't you agree?

Archived