Bristol City v Derby

CumbrianRam

I'm hoping that Bristol's propensity for attacking play may suit us and maybe be their undoing.

It seems that Pearson wants us to dig in and then be swift on the counter-attack. To do that we need teams prepared to go all out against us and Bristol will do this. 

Then we will see if Pearson has got it right. 

I enjoyed my last visit to Bristol, great set of friendly and knowledgeable fans. So let's hope we show up and give them some entertainment  (though I'd take a scrappy game and a close win!)

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlon Pack has done well to make the step up hasn't he Bristol City fan? Saw quite a bit of him plying his trade for Cheltenham when I used to watch Torquay.

He was a bit inconsistent but worked hard and had ability. Supplying the ammunition for kaid Mohammed and Jermaine McGlashan.

Always love to see players come up through the divisions.

Will we ever score a goal? So important to get that monkey off our backs, however it hapens. I think it's perhaps easier right now, given lots of pent up frustrations, for us to do that away rather than home. Let's hope this is the game.

Russell and Shackell out. Probably too soon for Weimann and Camara. After a good first half against Ipswich, do we stick or twist? In the wings we have Mitchell (Carson must be vulnerable), and the likes of Johnson, Ince, Bent and Blackman (and of course utility man Baird). And youngsters Hanson, Lowe, Elsnik and Rawson are yet to manage a look-in.

It'll be the same starting 11 as against Ipswich. Joining Mitchell and the 5 senior pros on the bench I think we'll see an appearance there for Hanson. Barring injuries I'd expect to see Johnson and Ince make appearances at some point. Come on you Rams!

I think this could be the game that ignights our season.

Away from the Ipro crowd, against a team who will go forward at us.

I just think it's going to click.

Good luck to Bristol when not against us though - enjoyed last season's game at Ashton Gate just a shame my weekends are in glasgow whisl i'm in chepstow in the week and can't make it this year.

Team wise, I think it'll be same unless there's injuries. If there's injuries it'll be Derby's least favourite record signings (johnson or ince) or the amazing wonder strikers who cannot score.

It's probably too big a shout to give Mitchell a game but my Luton supporting Nephew says he is a dream when it comes to swift distribution.  I would like to see Elsnik at least on the bench. I think the lad has something special

Vydra has to continue because he needs the games, not sure about Wilson. He seems to start slow and improve as the match goes on , give Ince a go ? Think Bent is going to be a sub for ever unless there is an injury crisis.

Back four more or less chooses itself. So it's the 4 mids that are the question ... Hughes for sure, Anya yes .. So who are the remaining two ? Bryson, Johnson, Butters, Hanson Weiman (if fit ) 

Just hope we get one early and lift ourselves. 

13 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

No chance of Butters being dropped, he played very well on Tuesday out of position yet again. It amazes me how he, Ince and Johnson are only allowed the one chance here and there whilst others are picked continually without justification. Fair would be allowing them a run of games in their actual positions, regardless of form. All three were a big part in us being top of the table last year. 

Dropping Shackell got a huge thumbs up from me. I hope Pearce too can get the run of games all players require in order to perform at their best. 

Respectfully disagree on Butters, Warren. I'm not a butters fan and think he's too lightweight and if he can't hit the target with those long rangers, he's pretty much second fiddle to Bryso and Hughes. He was decent v Ipswich but let's give some context: Ipswich are DIRE. It's Johnson who needs recalling - to add some steel. Push Hughes up and preferably Bryson too and we will be good to create lots.

24 minutes ago, jono said:

It's probably too big a shout to give Mitchell a game but my Luton supporting Nephew says he is a dream when it comes to swift distribution.  I would like to see Elsnik at least on the bench. I think the lad has something special

Vydra has to continue because he needs the games, not sure about Wilson. He seems to start slow and improve as the match goes on , give Ince a go ? Think Bent is going to be a sub for ever unless there is an injury crisis.

Back four more or less chooses itself. So it's the 4 mids that are the question ... Hughes for sure, Anya yes .. So who are the remaining two ? Bryson, Johnson, Butters, Hanson Weiman (if fit ) 

Just hope we get one early and lift ourselves. 

Have a feeling Mitchell may play but your post is spot on - and it felt like I was reading Pearsons pre Bristol city notes to himself. Nice.

On 15 September 2016 at 03:12, Alpha said:

I don't rate Johnson for us but it's about freeing midfielders to go on and play with and beyond Vydra. 

We have to start becoming so obvious and rigid. 

So if this team played then I would be hopeful. 

But it could still end up looking like 43-----2------1. 

But yeah, get something in that DM that frees up Bryson and Hughes. Especially Bryson who is pretty much pointless in our half unless we don't have possession. But on the edge of their box he's a reliable hold on the ball really.

We could do with 43 defenders at the moment

15 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Marlon Pack has done well to make the step up hasn't he Bristol City fan? Saw quite a bit of him plying his trade for Cheltenham when I used to watch Torquay.

He was a bit inconsistent but worked hard and had ability. Supplying the ammunition for kaid Mohammed and Jermaine McGlashan.

Always love to see players come up through the divisions.

At first he was poor at this level tbf, but the second half of last season he was one of our best players, good range of passing and composure on the ball and hes only 24, got a good future ahead of him imo

The one decision I don't fully understand over the last few games is Butterfield in a wider position. Surely Johnson is better suited to that sort of role as he has played there before? If we are stuck with a 4-4-2 I would like to see the following;

Carson

Christie Keogh Pearce Olsson

Johnson Hughes Bryson Anya

Vydra Wiemann

Been thinking about this! And too be honest I wasn't disappointed with the performance or effort from the players at all . The only tweak I would make is if fit I'd put Hanson in for wilson and go slightly more defensive, not a bad thing on wilson but I'd go 

Carson 

Christie    keogh   Pearce     Olsson 

Hanson 

Butterfield   hughes  bryson  anya

Vydra 

Archived