Bristol City v Derby

CumbrianRam

My view on things from today:

First half I think we were both poor but you probably edged it

You need a good striker up front, if you'd of had one you could have put 4 or 5 past us tbf

Your midfield looked very good and was very quick on the break

Counter attacking you were excellent and created a lot of chances

Your support was decent in the first half today but dropped off until the last few minutes tbf

Overall I think a point was fair for both teams and good luck for the rest of the season

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To expect anything else after spending £30 to £40 million adding players to a team that finished 3rd would be absurd.

It's nothing to do with being self entitled.

We both know they are just numbers. It could be £100 million pounds spent but if you don't purchase players that are actually needed it's pretty pointless spending anything at all?

To me, just because we've spent X amount on players doesn't = expecting top 6 finishes. There's a lot more than transfer fee's that contribute to a team doing well in a football division. 

7 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

You're right - sad state of affairs but unfortunately it is what it is       :(

I think the fans are probably just a bit confused with where we are heading.

If someone came out and said, that they thought what we had was not good enough and NP has been given free reign to rip it apart and get us promoted within the next 3 seasons trying things his way, then I think people would perhaps not be happy but accept it.

As it is people are still expecting 'The Derby Way' and still expecting NP to add the little tweaks to a team that was so close to getting promoted. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

We both know they are just numbers. It could be £100 million pounds spent but if you don't purchase players that are actually needed it's pretty pointless spending anything at all?

To me, just because we've spent X amount on players doesn't = expecting top 6 finishes. There's a lot more than transfer fee's that contribute to a team doing well in a football division. 

Yes they are just numbers but they are also numbers that are relative to others teams numbers in this division.

Pretending that promotion, or at least a play off defeat, should not be the requirement after spending the sums that we have is nothing short of ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

You may not but there's definitely some on this forum that do. We should always aim high - to do otherwise is unacceptable but it's the reaction to setbacks which ultimately leads to success or disappointment and 8 games is nowhere near enough to come to any conclusions as to how things will pan out.

This league is so unpredictable. Newcastle beat QPR 6-0 away then lose 2-0 at home to Wolves who got belted 4-0 on their own ground by Barnsley who themselves go down 2-0 at home. We have not started well, that's obvious to everyone but anyone would think we were in the bottom 3 with 2 games to go (or maybe they'd  be happy with that just to be able to say 'I told you so'.

Let's wait a while and see what happens instead of at every opportunity, using the forum as a big stick with which to beat either the manager, the players, the owner or all three.

Well that's my post of the day sorted..........................spot on! :thumbsup:

I'd like to remind you that we've brought in Nigel Pearson to improve the team, and ultimately get them promoted.

We haven't brought him in as part of phase one of a some sort of long-term plan or rebuild where we might challenge for promotion a few years down the line.

Our lowest points tally for the past three seasons has been 77 points. We finished 5th last season. So being satisfield with midtable and a few promising signs IMO is barmy. 

We should be challenging for the top six. There is absolutely no excuse for us not be challenging the top six and if we don't hit at least 72 points this season I'd see that as abject failiure.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

Which Derby fans are suggesting these results are acceptable? I've not seen one. I've seen plenty of Derby fans like myself who aren't happy with performances, but are prepared to be patient in the hope that Pearson can improve things and then I've seen other Derby fans writing off the season already after eight games, but none saying these results and performances are acceptable.

As for the second part in bold, why should the players be exempt from blame? We had about 5 chances to put the game to bed today and Vydra, Bent, Bryson and Hughes squandered them all. Pearson can't stick the ball in the net for them. 

I agree with your general point but two of the players you list in the second part of your post are ones that Pearson decided were better than a perfectly acceptable player he decided to ostracise. If they aren't doing their jobs we need to look at him.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'd like to remind you that we've brought in Nigel Pearson to improve the team, and ultimately get them promoted.

We haven't brought him in as part of phase one of a some sort of long-term plan or rebuild where we might challenge for promotion a few years down the line.

Our lowest points tally for the past three seasons has been 77 points. We finished 5th last season. So being satisfield with midtable and a few promising signs IMO is barmy. 

We should be challenging for the top six. There is absolutely no excuse for us not be challenging the top six and if we don't hit at least 72 points this season I'd see that as abject failiure.

Not disputing this but where have you seen what targets MM has set for NP? Was it said in his press conference? Can't even be bothered to look.

1 hour ago, Seth's left foot said:

We're slowly getting better which is a good sign, granted that the slow start is already diminishing our promotion hopes but we have a couple of winnable games next up so I'm going to wait for my usual 10 games marker before I make a first assessment.

Anya is going to turn out to be a great signing.

Yep I'd go with that, got back 30 minutes ago and read back the last 10 pages and some posts on here are just plain daft.

Sure we were gutted like everyone and I couldn't believe we didn't take one of numerous chances to kill it. But with Anya, Weimann and Vydra we have real pace; not to mention Camara too once fit. Wilson I'm still not sure about but I think we are slowly evolving, I think in another 10 games we will be wishing we had this team at the start of the season. Hughes and Bryson looked much better today against a decent midfield with Tomlin in there.

Their goal, don't know who was really at fault, but it was so end to end the last 20 minutes, we just needed to put one away and they would have been done for. Defensively I thought we were ok but decision making Christie and Olsson along with Carson's kicking were frustrating as much as the strikers not bagging another. Pearce I thought was great against that Abraham, Keogh too.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Likewise Frankie Fielding. What a keeper.

Unbelievable!

37 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I agree with your general point but two of the players you list in the second part of your post are ones that Pearson decided were better than a perfectly acceptable player he decided to ostracise. If they aren't doing their jobs we need to look at him.

True, but the player he ostracised hasn't scored yet for Fulham and before leaving had only scored something like 7 in his last 45+ games. But yeah, Pearson definitely deserves some of the blame, but my reply was to someone who said the players shouldn't be blamed (he's now said he worded it wrongly). Both the manager and players should take blame for the recent results and performances. 

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not disputing this but where have you seen what targets MM has set for NP? Was it said in his press conference? Can't even be bothered to look.

Didn't you know - Brit Vegas is our 'in the know' poster. He's always right, or so he keeps telling us!

Not happy with where we are in the league but what a difference 2 mins make. In fact almost 2 kicks in the very last minutes. 

Blackman scores- 1 point well deserved v Ipswich rather than 0  

Bristol don't score - 3 points rather than 1. 

So, 4 points rather than the 1 we have. I know the final whistle has gone, but seriously, it's turning in the right direction. Not perfect and much to improve on, but not getting a drubbing every game and very close to being further up the table. 

Need to take chances to kill off the game. Vydra will have a field day very soon, today was not his day.. We deserved 3 points not 1points though. Oh well onto next one Blackburn in the league. 

Calmed down just about,primarily due to getting a crate of champers half price at M&S. Lost a £300 accumalator from another late goal and a simular amount against Ipswich,I think we can write off this season NP has his work cut out although i am sure he will get it right at some point,however surprised at the substitutions made and after so many games into the season dont see how we are going to improve without further recruitment.we took all 6 points from bristol city last season so today seams a real backward step,any how my money wont be involving DerbyCounty for a long time and Liverpool can be safe in the knowledge that their reserves should have a comfortable game against us.

Just hope it starts to improve before it gets any worse as i fear all confidence will be lost by players and fans ,turning the club into yet more turmoil and possibly the loss of a capable manager. Not sure why NP is struggling but he needs to pull it together sooner rather than later.

Suppose we just need to keep getting behind the team and showing our support and hopefully the pride of being Derby loyal may be transferred to the players when wearing the shirt.

After today's result can anyone out there tell me the last time the Rams were one point off bottom of the Championship Table after 8 games ?.

I'm scratching my head trying to remember, it must be a very long time ago if ever since the Championship was formed I would think.

Archived