Bristol City v Derby

CumbrianRam

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Two things I'd like to say about yesterday.

First, I was very surprised that it was Ince and not Johnson that came on for Butterfield. When you have a lead you bring on battlers not fancy dans.

Second, Fielding didn't have to do anything special today. All his saves were to shots fired straight at him. 

Really? You'd want us to hold on to a one goal lead against Bristol City? Why has this club become such an ambition vacuum?

As one firmly in the 'moaner' camp I actually think Pearson made the right decision here. Our problem was our finishing and to some degree creativity (4 shots on target could be better). The belief that once we went 1-0 up we had the right to walk away with all 3 points without challenge is exactly the reason we didn't walk away with 3 points. We only scored one and it wasn't exactly a cagey game of few chances. Bristol City created quite a bit and deserved a goal. Hardly as if bringing on Tom Ince changes that fact. What it could and should have changed is the number of chances and goals we scored. Right decision. 

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Really? You'd want us to hold on to a one goal lead against Bristol City? Why has this club become such an ambition vacuum?

As one firmly in the 'moaner' camp I actually think Pearson made the right decision here. Our problem was our finishing and to some degree creativity (4 shots on target could be better). The belief that once we went 1-0 up we had the right to walk away with all 3 points without challenge is exactly the reason we didn't walk away with 3 points. We only scored one and it wasn't exactly a cagey game of few chances. Bristol City created quite a bit and deserved a goal. Hardly as if bringing on Tom Ince changes that fact. What it could and should have changed is the number of chances and goals we scored. Right decision. 

You're entitled to your opinion of course but I can't see how a midfield that was struggling as a three were going to improve being reduced to two.

Bristol seemed to find extra space and we nearly lost.

38 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Just out of interest, did you react the same after Rotherham away last season?

30 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

we deserved to win ffs hahah looked at the highlights it could have been 3-1

They had some great chances as well - could have scored a couple themselves, but theirs were still mostly long distance. How we didn't score 4 or 5 after watching those highlights I've no idea - several occasions we had one on ones with the keeper in acres of space, but we just decide to smash it straight at him.

2 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I can't really complain with the result, Bristol deserved the equaliser and probably should have won it right at the end. People can say how we're unlucky, how we created chances, but the fact of the matter is 2 goals scored in 8 league games is not bad luck. After a certain point it becomes a case of poor finishing. Apart from the goal that Anya took very well I thought, every single shot on target was one you would expect the keeper to save. Fielding got man of the match, but he didn't have to do anything outstanding to get it.

Player observations:

Carson, had nothing much to do. Couldn't have done anything about the goal, kicking was better today.

Christie, decent performance but his habit of diving in on the edge of the box gives away so many free kicks.

Keogh and Pearce, good performance from these two, they were pretty dominant, and passing wise are a ot more comfortble than Shackell. Seen some people blaming Pearce for missing a header in the build up to their goal - sometimes you simply get outjumped. Wouldn't blame him too much.

Olsson, has been really poor this seasnon and was poor again. Stuck waving for offside on their goal when he should have been getting back on the line to try and help clear the ball. Him and Anya don't look like they're clicking anytime soon as a partnership.

Butterfield, pretty anonymous.

Hughes, good performance. Lost out a few times in the middle of the park, but kept getting forward well. Should have scored that free header.

Bryson, alright I guess. Again like Hughes, lost out in the middle of park a lot, and like Hughes doesn't look comfortable staying back.

Anya, have to be honest, even though he scored he was competely anonymous all match. One decent cross, and the goal. That was it. Went off injured, not sure what he has done.

Wilson, I thought he was our best player in the first half actually - full of running and invention. Then he got a wack from one of the Bristol payers and went into his shell. He needs to toughen up and fast, or he won't make it at this level. Hughes has been taking those hits since he was 17 years old, so you'd think the 21 year old Wilson could take them.

Vydra, what to do with a problem like Vyrda. There is a classy player in there - his flicks and turns aren't quite coming off for him, and he really needs a big strike partner to take the attention off him (where's Chris Martin when you need him?) Should've buried his chance at the end, but hit it straight at the goalkeeper, very poor that was.

Bent, I feel like I'm just repeating myself at this point, he is past it. We bring him on the finish off chances and he simply doesn't do it. If Chris Martin had had the amount of chances Bent had this season, we would be at least goals better off. Everytime he comes on the pitch, my heart sinks because I know he's going to miss a game-changing chance.

Ince, was surprise he came on for Butterfield. I thought Pearson would bring on someone more adept at covering the defender. Didn't get on the ball much, and had little impact on the game apart from setting up Vydra's chance at the end. In hindsight, Ince should have shot himself seeing as how it would've have had a better chance of going in.

Bristol played 541, swamping us in the middle of the park and it showed. Hughes and Bryson really struggled to get to grips with it and I'm not surprised. Surely a 433 would have given us more control and would've havee served us better defensively.

Pearson might be looking over his shouder and he should be, this is a results business and frankly his results haven't been good enough. We had chances yes, but nobody looks even confident of finishing them. Martin would've have gobbled up those chances that presented themselves today. And even when creating chances, we look one dimensional. Still firing in crosses to our 5'11'' forwards to compete against 6'2'' centre backs. Looking back, I am pretty certain that near enough all of our chances came from a Bristol City error, apart from the Hughes header.  

Saw Mel Morris in the car park, not looking particularly happy. Suspect that's his default face these days. No sign of Sam Rush or John Vicars though, which is odd given I used to see them quite often at away matches.

And how was Weimann? Where did he play when he came on? All i saw on the highlights was him playing a nice ball through to Vydra, through to Bent who missed....(again)

I still want to see Weimann on with Vydra. No Darren Bent

1 hour ago, DerbyRam! said:

And how was Weimann? Where did he play when he came on? All i saw on the highlights was him playing a nice ball through to Vydra, through to Bent who missed....(again)

I still want to see Weimann on with Vydra. No Darren Bent

He looked lively when he came on. Slipped in a couple of nice balls. Won't start anytime soon, don't he has the fitness to at the moment. He played on the left of midfield.

He'll play out wide when he does start I think, it's where he played all pre-season. This will be a problem when we come up against more defensively sound teams, ggiven he isn't the most tecchnical player. He's going to be picked for his defensive work rate, more than his attacking quality.

I makes me sad when I compare the Darren Bent we have to the one who has scored hundreds of goals in his career. He's simply past it and couldn't finish a sausage cob these days.

Well yesterday we were very unlucky not to win the game. In spells we played preatty well but we need to find a way to be more constant play. We created plenty of

Chances and even against newcastle we created chances just could not take them.

We have gone from creating next to nrothing to scoring two goals. I do think we need to try and play balls on the floor. I think long balls are okay if you want get it forward but we need players in advance positions.

I think what we need to do against liverpool is to try and rough them up a bit not to make it so easy for them to play there football.

We need to play hit and move football we need to practise this week running on the ball and try passing it on the move when we dont have the ball we need try to defand in numbers shutdown the space force them to make a mistake.

And now down to the formation our 442 or 4411 but i personal would choice to play 361 they would not expect this formation. We could have a extra two midfiderd i think this would allow us to move bryson and will huges to support vyda a bit more. But this can easly switch back other formations also. We could also have cdm siting back and helping out break up there play or we can attacking midfilder in the

Same team i really do believe this can help us beat liverpool and you never know this might give us a bit more balance to our play give us a bit more freedome.

7 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Ince does not pass the ball and to greddy for his own good.

I think he does look for the pass a lot of the time. It would be daft of him not to have a pop when around the box as I think he's the player most likely to hit the onion sack from the range. Think one of the main problems with Ince is that he always seems to need the ball to feet and always seems to be far away from the goal. Never seems to be able to latch on to a throughball in behind

25 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

He looked lively when he came on. Slipped in a couple of nice balls. Won't start anytime soon, don't he has the fitness to at the moment. He played on the left of midfield.

He'll play out wide when he does start I think, it's where he played all pre-season. This will be a problem when we come up against more defensively sound teams, ggiven he isn't the most tecchnical player. He's going to be picked for his defensive work rate, more than his attacking quality.

I makes me sad when I compare the Darren Bent we have to the one who has scored hundreds of goals in his career. He's simply past it and couldn't finish a sausage cob these days.

I think Weimann will start very soon. In fact Tuesday to be precise. If only to give him chance to get match fit. We actually have 5 that are in need of a bit more match fitness. Wilson, Anya, Weimann, Vydra( looked knackered by 75 mins yesterday) and Camara. Not had much match time between them until last couple of weeks. Personally would love to see vydra and Weimann as front two. But we have the same problem as last year or two. Only 2 can play centrally so one will be pushed wide to play with Anya. Assuming he isn't going to pick Ince as his other first choice wide man 

Archived