Bristol City v Derby

CumbrianRam

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tombo said:

If we manage to turn this around and get to a steady 2 points per game average, we'd still end the season on only 84 points. The Blackburn game will mark 1/5 of the season over. I keep hearing that it will improve but when? We need it soon.

I don't like being a moaner. I hate it in fact. I try to keep a positive mental attitude when it comes to Derby and see the optimism in all situations whenever possible, much to the annoyance in fact of the people I go to the game with. I shut down their moaning because I can't stand it. 

But this is bad. Not just a bit rusty bad, or just not quite getting the luck, but atrociously bad. We're the lowest scorers in the league, and by quite a long way. We've scored 2. The next lowest is bottom of the league Cardiff, who've at least managed 6.The highest scorers in the league are Barnsley with 19 goals.

And we've got two. TWO.

If anything is worthy of a moan, it's these staggering stats. I'm not calling for Pearson to leave, I'm just saying that this is so far below what is acceptable. I understand those who want to stay optimistic and that's fine. That's football, game of opinions and different outlooks. But some people just shut down all conversation, seemingly because they're worried that criticism of the team's performance might flaccidate their raging Pearson boners for some reason. Some people appear to be blinded by these bulging Nige-ons in their underwear and don't want anyone to criticise the rebuild job. Oh wait, no you said it wasn't a rebuild because it's still the Derby Way and it's still mostly the same group of players...but it still needs time to gel somehow...Some of these are the same people that called for Clement's head after 5 games last year despite the fact he had plenty more signings that needed to gel.

Stop the Pearson love-in and open your eyes.

And stop banging on about Leicester for god sakes, let's judge the Derby manager on what he does at Derby.

Absolutely agree with you mate, too many Derby fans are seeing this as being acceptable. At no point should we be settling for bloody battling relegation from the second division! And it's not like we're just not getting the luck, the performances have been poor- and it has to be said it seems largely down to pearsons stubborn tactics, and not admitting when he's got something wrong- instead simply blaming it purely on a lack of finishing or luck. Never should any football team, in transition or not, be over a month into the season and only score 2 bloody goals! People are hanging their hopes on pearsons previous successes, rather than actually considering how poor and hopeless we've looked as a team so far. Maybe he'll sort it out, I hope he does, but right now imo people should be blaming the man in charge not the players and start getting more concerned over our league position, because for a team of our stature, it is far far away from where we should- and need to be

14 minutes ago, Tombo said:

If we manage to turn this around and get to a steady 2 points per game average, we'd still end the season on only 84 points. The Blackburn game will mark 1/5 of the season over. I keep hearing that it will improve but when? We need it soon.

I don't like being a moaner. I hate it in fact. I try to keep a positive mental attitude when it comes to Derby and see the optimism in all situations whenever possible, much to the annoyance in fact of the people I go to the game with. I shut down their moaning because I can't stand it. 

But this is bad. Not just a bit rusty bad, or just not quite getting the luck, but atrociously bad. We're the lowest scorers in the league, and by quite a long way. We've scored 2. The next lowest is bottom of the league Cardiff, who've at least managed 6.The highest scorers in the league are Barnsley with 19 goals.

And we've got two. TWO.

If anything is worthy of a moan, it's these staggering stats. I'm not calling for Pearson to leave, I'm just saying that this is so far below what is acceptable. I understand those who want to stay optimistic and that's fine. That's football, game of opinions and different outlooks. But some people just shut down all conversation, seemingly because they're worried that criticism of the team's performance might flaccidate their raging Pearson boners for some reason. Some people appear to be blinded by these bulging Nige-ons in their underwear and don't want anyone to criticise the rebuild job. Oh wait, no you said it wasn't a rebuild because it's still the Derby Way and it's still mostly the same group of players...but it still needs time to gel somehow...Some of these are the same people that called for Clement's head after 5 games last year despite the fact he had plenty more signings that needed to gel.

Stop the Pearson love-in and open your eyes.

And stop banging on about Leicester for god sakes, let's judge the Derby manager on what he does at Derby.

Agreed - judge him at the end of the season and not after 8 games. If we exceed 70 points and there's a steady improvement over the second half then that'll do for me to be going on with. On the other hand, assuming the points tally doesn't threaten a top 6 finish and performances haven't noticeably got much better, then I will be concerned (and not a little surprised).

I still think the next transfer window will be crucial to how our season ends.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Absolutely agree with you mate, too many Derby fans are seeing this as being acceptable. At no point should we be settling for bloody battling relegation from the second division! And it's not like we're just not getting the luck, the performances have been poor- and it has to be said it seems largely down to pearsons stubborn tactics, and not admitting when he's got something wrong- instead simply blaming it purely on a lack of finishing or luck. Never should any football team, in transition or not, be over a month into the season and only score 2 bloody goals! People are hanging their hopes on pearsons previous successes, rather than actually considering how poor and hopeless we've looked as a team so far. Maybe he'll sort it out, I hope he does, but right now imo people should be blaming the man in charge not the players and start getting more concerned over our league position, because for a team of our stature, it is far far away from where we should- and need to be

Which Derby fans are suggesting these results are acceptable? I've not seen one. I've seen plenty of Derby fans like myself who aren't happy with performances, but are prepared to be patient in the hope that Pearson can improve things and then I've seen other Derby fans writing off the season already after eight games, but none saying these results and performances are acceptable.

As for the second part in bold, why should the players be exempt from blame? We had about 5 chances to put the game to bed today and Vydra, Bent, Bryson and Hughes squandered them all. Pearson can't stick the ball in the net for them. 

9 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Which Derby fans are suggesting these results are acceptable? I've not seen one. I've seen plenty of Derby fans like myself who aren't happy with performances, but are prepared to be patient in the hope that Pearson can improve things. And then I've seen other Derby fans writing off the season already after 8 games. 

As for the second part in bold, why should the players be exempt from blame? We had about 5 chances to put the game to bed today and Vydra, Bent, Bryson and Hughes squandered them all. Pearson can't stick the ball in the net for them. 

Spot on! The way some fans criticise when things are not going well you would think Derby County have a God-given right to success. They don't!

Pearson cant be on the pitch but he can get the tactics formation and players right.he's at fault for being 4th bottom after 8 games who else does the blame lie with im not saying get rid but he as made mistakes that have cost us points this season. Lack of planning over summer is one of them.

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

are

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Which Derby fans are suggesting these results are acceptable? I've not seen one. I've seen plenty of Derby fans like myself who aren't happy with performances, but are prepared to be patient in the hope that Pearson can improve things and then I've seen other Derby fans writing off the season already after eight games, but none saying these results and performances are acceptable.

Maybe the wording wasn't quite right there, obviously noones happy about our form, but too many believe that it'll magically turn around because Pearson is in charge simply because of what he did with Leicester, without really considering the quality, or lack of in our performances so far this season. I really hope Pearson can turn it around, but on what I've seen so far I'm far from convinced, and I think Derby fans should be more concerned than they are.

Of course the players are to blame for those misses, but that's not my point. I've seen people over the last few weeks blaming a lack of effort for our results, ignoring the baffling team selections and team set up that he manager has put in place. Ultimately the results haven't been good enough, and that has to, in the main, be put down to the manager- after all it's his job to get results out of the team

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Who's saying it's acceptable? I don't see anybody settling for a relegation battle either. 

You make a lot of assumptions where there's very little substance. I'd say most people are hanging their hopes on Pearson having us in the top 6 come May. That's May by the way, 8 months away. We've started the season very poorly and despite an improvement in performances this past week we've still lost two and threw a lead away in the last minute, unacceptable of course. Pearson has a lot to answer for but to say it's not the players too is laughable. Plenty of players are still underperforming for this club, some since they joined it for large amounts of money. 

"Need to be"? Why do we need to be in the top 6? Self entitled ********. Throw it in the bin with 433 and "the Derby way". 

Similar to Wolfie, a gradual improvement over the season will satisfy me but we've got some work to do that's for sure. January might well be crucial which is a bit daft seeing as we've only just come out of a transfer window but it is what it is. Whilst I wasn't too fussed when we sacked Clement due to the football I'm now in the mindset that we probably should have given him the year, if we sack Pearson now we're pissing in the wind IMO and deserve everything we get. Let's give a guy a proper chance. 

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Who's saying it's acceptable? I don't see anybody settling for a relegation battle either. 

You make a lot of assumptions where there's very little substance. I'd say most people are hanging their hopes on Pearson having us in the top 6 come May. That's May by the way, 8 months away. We've started the season very poorly and despite an improvement in performances this past week we've still lost two and threw a lead away in the last minute, unacceptable of course. Pearson has a lot to answer for but to say it's not the players too is laughable. Plenty of players are still underperforming for this club, some since they joined it for large amounts of money. 

"Need to be"? Why do we need to be in the top 6? Self entitled ********. Throw it in the bin with 433 and "the Derby way". 

Similar to Wolfie, a gradual improvement over the season will satisfy me but we've got some work to do that's for sure. January might well be crucial which is a bit daft seeing as we've only just come out of a transfer window but it is what it is. Whilst I wasn't too fussed when we sacked Clement due to the football I'm now in the mindset that we probably should have given him the year, if we sack Pearson now we're pissing in the wind IMO and deserve everything we get. Let's give a guy a proper chance. 

Read my post above, I didn't word that very well apologies, I'm on the platform on my phone- had to rush it slightly.

Of course players are underperforming, but imo this is due to Pearson playing a system that doesn't suit our squad, and persisting with it despite poor results.

I accept you've got different expectations, fair enough everyone can choose how much they feel is the minimum our squad needs to achieve. Of course I don't mean we should be In the top six simply because we're Derby county, but rather that we should expect and target promotion, and if we're not meeting that target we should do whatever we feel is nessercery to sort it, all my opinion of course- others will be happy with constant progress, which is understandable

It seems that if anything can go wrong, it can, it has and it will. To concede a stoppage time equaliser was all too predictable. It's just the way things are running for us at the moment. I didn't go to the game today but I followed the results on Soccer Saturday. And as the full-time scores came flooding in with Derby's notable by its absence, there was an inevitability about what was coming even before they crossed to Ashton Gate.

How we could have done with three points today just to boost morale and take the pressure off Pearson and the players. Six points, one win and four defeats from eight games is unacceptable, and scoring just two goals in the process seems unimaginable for a team with our individual quality. But that is the reality.

I think it's too early to say whether we'll be top 6, bottom 6 or mid-table. Eight games is not a reliable measure in what is a long season, especially so in the Championship where it's not until the latter half of the season when many teams either click and charge up the table or fade and tumble down the table.

I have been quite calm about our situation. I still feel like things will come together for us. But after picking up a solitary point from our last 12, even I have to concede the two upcoming games against Blackburn and Cardiff have taken on greater significance. They will feel like six pointers and will set the tone for the rest of the season. Two impressive wins and it will lift everyone and restore belief and confidence. Anything less than four points and rightly or wrongly, the pressure will be cranked up, perhaps terminally so.

Us derby fans dont think we have god given right to success and when was the last time jim smith era. We have had 3 good recent years and we are going backwards pearson should of kept the the team moving forward but ive not seen any of that yet. Is it hard to ask for abit of success and aim high.

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Well I think it is fair to say most of us have gone from optimistic to currently disappointed on the whole season so far but as we know it is very possible to go on a lengthy winning run but the basic facts are that we are in the relegation area currently so time to put the ball in the net more times than the opposition 

Just now, Sparkle said:

Well I think it is fair to say most of us have gone from optimistic to currently disappointed on the whole season so far but as we know it is very possible to go on a lengthy winning run but the basic facts are that we are in the relegation area currently so time to put the ball in the net more times than the opposition 

Well that's the basics of it haha, if only football were that simple!

22 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

To expect anything else after spending £30 to £40 million adding players to a team that finished 3rd would be absurd.

It's nothing to do with being self entitled.

1 minute ago, Dcfc10 said:

Us derby fans dont think we have god given right to success and when was the last time jim smith era. We have had 3 good recent years and we are going backwards pearson should of kept the the team moving forward but ive not seen any of that yet. Is it hard to ask for abit of success and aim high.

You may not but there's definitely some on this forum that do. We should always aim high - to do otherwise is unacceptable but it's the reaction to setbacks which ultimately leads to success or disappointment and 8 games is nowhere near enough to come to any conclusions as to how things will pan out.

This league is so unpredictable. Newcastle beat QPR 6-0 away then lose 2-0 at home to Wolves who got belted 4-0 on their own ground by Barnsley who themselves go down 2-0 at home. We have not started well, that's obvious to everyone but anyone would think we were in the bottom 3 with 2 games to go (or maybe they'd  be happy with that just to be able to say 'I told you so'.

Let's wait a while and see what happens instead of at every opportunity, using the forum as a big stick with which to beat either the manager, the players, the owner or all three.

32 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

Pearson cant be on the pitch but he can get the tactics formation and players right.he's at fault for being 4th bottom after 8 games who else does the blame lie with im not saying get rid but he as made mistakes that have cost us points this season. Lack of planning over summer is one of them.

Bit early in the season to start the blame game isn't it?

Entitlement, taking offence and blame. The scourge of modern society.

Archived