Derby County v Grimsby Town

Day

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Did we win? Looked for a match day thread or a matchday chat  but nothing here. Went on the BBC website, navigated thought Sport ( mostly Olympics) ... Football... Nothing there. Randomly tried something offering more.... Then leagues and competitions , Then something called the league cup. Am I dreaming or aren't we playing in the EFL Trophy? Saw something about Everton manager Roberto Martinez looking forward to the game against Man City. Well i think there is big story today involving Everton and Man City but I don't think that can be it. 

Seemed to be some scores up there somewhere and eventually found the Rams score. 

Have you ever used the internet before lol

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 13 Premier League sides who join will be seeded along with 10 others who make it through the 1st round. Assuming they use last season's finishing positions as the basis for deciding which 10 non-Prem teams are seeded I assume we'll be amongst the 23 seeds and will get a side who finished anywhere from around 14th/15th in the Champ last season or lower. 

Forest at home anyone?

Just got back, not a lot to report on really, your normal early round league cup tie. Lower league club floods midfield, works hard but lacks any real quality and Derby does enough in about second gear to go through. 

No one really had to stretch themselves for this one, back line looked very comfortable and assured. Forsyth slot back in like he'd never been away with some good runs and a some good crosses... annnd some not so good crosses. 

Only other mention I'd make is Butterfield was the best player overal during his 15 min spell. He has so much quality on the ball. He's one of those players that doesn't seem to be as popular as he should be, has much more skill with the ball than hendrick or bryson and also worked his socks off when he came on. Played in Bradley Johnsons position on the left of the midfield and I would not be surprised if we see him play there on saturday.

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Owd Ramage singing the theme tune to Corrie (thinking its was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) has been a highlight I doubt can be bettered tonight!

I think Dawes welcomed listeners from the Eyebrow Stadium and had to tell some Derby fan wandering past looking for a chat that they were still on (h)air!........ 

Far from the best performance you'll ever see. Nevertheless, it's another well earned clean sheet and win.

Carson - 7 - he had to come alive at the end, thanks to a number of well taken corners by Grimsby.

Christie - 6 - hit and miss performance; he looked outstanding one minute then below average the next. 

Keogh - 8 - he scored, defended well and was comfortably the best player on the pitch.

Pearce - 6 - Keogh did the lion's share, but he kept it simple and did enough. He had a mare in the first half, but it didn't count for much. 

Forsyth - 7 - the geezer is an athlete and covered so much ground. He wasn't helped by Russell, but it didn't look like he needed much help.

Blackman - 5 - he's obviously a good footballer, but he's always trying to make the game winning move and it becomes frustrating. He needs coaching better.

Hughes - 5 - he wasn't upto it tonight, in all honesty looked a yard off the pace. Improved in the second half but far from his best.

Bryson - 7 - he covered a lot of ground, he did his job and then some. Definitely our best player outside the defence.

Russell - 4 - he just wasn't in the game. I don't know why he played more of a centre midfielder role, but it didn't suit him. He didn't look upto it.

Bent - 5 - he looked the sharpest of the two strikers, but missed a couple of very good chances. 

Martin - 4 - poor tonight, and a lot worse than he's been for a long time. He won't be starting on Saturday.

Butterfield - 7 - he added a bit of technical ability to the game. He needs more playing time. I'd start him on Saturday.

Ince - 6 - like Butterfield, added quality. He didn't have the desired effect, but he's definitely our most talented player in the final third.

Hendrick - 6 - he kept things tidy, but didn't have enough time to impose himself on the game.

Formation... Please go back to 4-3-3.

Made it difficult for ourselves at the end, in what should have been an easy match given the chances we had.  Bryson looked good, Butterfiled impressed when coming on, Blackman much improved second half.

As for Grimbsy....who ever did the film the Grimbsy brothers obviously attended a few matches with their fans before casting...they got it spot on  

Not great. Passing way too slow at times. Lucky not to concede at the end, great header from their keeper! 

Bryson, Fozzy and Keogh only ones trying first half. Bent was seriously woeful, as was Martin. Hughes not his usual self, looked uninterested. 

Second half a bit better, controlled the game a bit more, as expected against a league 2 side and was pretty comfortable until the last minute.

I like what Blackman did tonight, always trying to make things happen, unfortunately some of the things he tried didn't come off, least he's trying though. Russell the opposite, sideways and backwards a lot of the game. Did his usual running into the opposition players as well. Butterfield and Ince tidy when they came on. I expect Butterfield to start vs Barnsley, unless we sign anyone. 

Wins a win though, and we're into the next round unlike some other Championship teams. Loved Keogh's celebration, worth the £7 to see that. 

PistoldPete2
46 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Have you ever used the internet before lol

Yes... I think the problem is the internet content providers, especially the BBC. Anyway we won, another clean sheet. And some rumours about transfers. 

First 35/40 minutes we were poor. Slow, lacking intent. Hughesy and Bryson were competing to see who was at the base of the diamond so consequently no one was close to Martin and Bent and we were on the back foot too often. Hughsey wasn't at his best. Misplaced passes and touch just a bit off. (Still better than most ! )

Blackman looked the most dangerous man on the pitch but his crossing let him down and he lacks aggression.

About 5 mins before half time we started to flow a little more .. Christie pulled a great cross back to Bryson in the middle of the edge of the box and Martin started collecting the ball and pinging balls over to Christie/Blackman. And as we started to use the width, gaps started to appear.

Second half much better. Came out with some much needed fire. At this point my chronology goes a bit to pot ... But Think the cross for the goal was fron Bryson . Low hard at chest level .. Brave bang on header from Keogh 

Bent missed a sitter from a good cross. Butterfield and Ince on for Martin and Blackman. Ince did OK added some energy but could t quite get on the end of anything. Butterfield .. A revalation ! .. Running, tackling, winning the ball, passing.

Christie - good game .. Always pushing and looks before he crosses ( Nick Blackman please note )

Fozzie - good first  game back.. Got better and better as the game went on. Positive contribution

Keogh - sound and scored

Pearce - nearly got caught on the ball in the first half but some really good headers that usually found a man

Hughes - ok but off song replaced by Jeff who was much the same for the short time he had on the pitch. 

Bryson - more energy than Saturday and got better as game went on. More to come I hope

Bent - ran quite a lot, missed a sitter. Average 

Martin - when he had the ball he looked composed but uncomfortable with the newness of working with Bent. 

Ince - Added energy but the twinkle toes stuff didn't quite come off today

Butterfield - Top man .. The ball winner we were lacking right through the game 

its a win ! But we seriously lack bite, in your face hunger. Gave them far too much time. There is a lassitude about our demeanour on the pitch. Like we expect the ball to come to us. Throw ins are a prime example .. We don't run / move to give the thrower a target. I watched their players bobbing left and right and bouncing on the ball of their feet like Ali. They wanted the ball .. We are just too static too much of the time

thats it for now 

Better than Saturday but then easier opposition, so hard to tell.

Carson - 7 - only really troubled at the end, hard to see from the south stand who kept those final few corners out, but will give him credit still.

Christie - 7 - Decent going forward, didn't have much to do defensively, overlapped Blackman in the first half but didn't receive the pass and then seemed to stop later on.

Keogh - 8 - Good game and goal.

Peace - 5.5 - did well to cope with the beast of a striker they had up front, but got caught on the ball in first half and may have been punished against better opposition.

Forsyth - 7 - Good game, didn't look rusty after so long out.

Blackman - 6.5 - thought he played well on the right at times, and beat his man fairly easily, lacked quality delivery and sometimes bit selfish when Christie in a better position.

Bryson - 7 - hard working performance, quality delivery for Keogh goal.

Hughes - 7 - everything came though him and he dictated the tempo, despite his touch being a little off. Seemed to grow into it second half and assume he will only get better as he learns to dictate in the midfield 2.

Russell - 6 - Tried hard and was involved in a few tidy moves without pulling up any trees. Didn't seem to have a spark of something to really create.

Bent - 6 - Worked hard and ecent hold up play as well as putting a great ball in at one point. Poor finishing on the whole, particularly from a free header from less than 6 yards. Needs a goal.

Martin - 5 - Not suited to a 442, can't get enough of the ball and not the athlete required to stretch a defence. Also him and Bent not always on same wavelength. If this is the system Pearson is to persist with, can't see him being here much longer.

Ince - 6 - Injected some quality and linked up well with Bent, without doing too much. Thought he worked hard as well.

Butterfield - 6.5 - Looked quality and would have a higher rating if he'd come on earlier, maybe wasted out on the left, but certainly not a bad option with so many centre mids.

Hendrick - 5.5 - Didn't do a great deal, wasn't really time, but looked confident.

Well guys tonight was far from perfect but at least we won but thank to crigh bryson cross and keogh flying header.

Well for me scott carson did well when called upion right at the end making two fanstic saves.

Keough did a good job was nice and solid and knew were his fellow team mates were.

Stuart peace did a nice and steady job tonight

Will huges useley for will he gave some balls away cheaply but got stronger as game went on.

Jeff hendrick when he came on opened them up a bit and played some lovely balls.

Blackmen for me tonight did next to nrothing but he did try hard.

Butterfield also when he came change things he looked nice and composed on that left side of midfield.

Craigh forsigh he did struggle a little bit tonight but he did grow into the game and tried go up and down that touch line but encouaging to see him back.

I felt sorry for chris martin he had no service to him for him to feed off. But what he did well he battled for the ball and did try to pass it about a bit.

Darren bent he had a good few chances and two he should buried but he needs to time his runs a lot better as he keeps getting caught offside.

Tom ince for me did not have time really get into the game.

Nigel pearson after the game interview is not giving anything away about incoming players but to me reading bewteen the lines sounds to me shiffield wednesday striker on his way to the club.

Archived