Derby County v Grimsby Town

Day

Have to add I thought the Grimsby fans were a great credit to their club and did give amazing support it does have to be said. Feel a bit guilty for having a dig at them tbh. :(

I read on their forum that that they claim it was a Derby fan who brought in the flare and chucked it across at the Town fans.

Not sure how accurate this is though.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I thought Martin did okay last night. Looked interested and kept going in search of the ball. Understandably he was getting frustrated at how long it was taking the ball to get forward, I was watching and it annoyed me. Him and Bent on occasion made the same runs, understandable as we haven't played that much with a front 2 unless we are chasing a game. Think it showed with Martin as he kept lumping the ball out wide as Cyrus and Blackman were in loads of space. Bent is frustrating to watch but can pinch a goal. If you look at Martins best bits it's when the ball is played quickly into him with runners in and around him, fair enough NP might want to play differently but we have no wingers, haven't had for ages so either sign some or play a system that suits the players. Dare I say it last night with Martin and Bent playing together is was almost like they were fighting for that one spot as they didn't play together. 

The thing which annoys me about Derby is how long it takes to get the ball up to attack. The amount of times we have the chance to run at defenders and we cut it back or pass it backwords is beyond me. You see the opposition get back into formation which they have been practicing on to shut us out. Happened to England a lot too.. I guess this could be due to the fact we have no rapid old fashion winger? From what I have seen Blackmans trying but he has to keep cutting back on to his left foot which lets them get back in to formation by the time he crosses it.

Just now, Ashz09 said:

The thing which annoys me about Derby is how long it takes to get the ball up to attack. The amount of times we have the chance to run at defenders and we cut it back or pass it backwords is beyond me. You see the opposition get back into formation which they have been practicing on to shut us out. Happened to England a lot too.. I guess this could be due to the fact we have no rapid old fashion winger? From what I have seen Blackmans trying but he has to keep cutting back on to his left foot which lets them get back in to formation by the time he crosses it.

It does annoy me, each time our 'winger' gets one on one with the full back I would love him to just get his head down and run at him, Wardy use to do this. More times than not the winger goes back to the full back. It totally kills any momentum. What does give me hope though is that when we played NP's Leicester Dyer, Schlupp etc did it to us on numerous occasions. I think if we did this more Martin and Bent would have chance created for them. It's okay saying we need a new striker but how many chances have we created for them over the 180 minutes so far? We could have Suarez and Ronaldo upfront but if you don't create chances they can't convert them. Simples. 

44 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

First of all massive praise to the club for a few things actually. A theme of my posts that no doubt will come to annoy you all immensely over time will be my comparisons between DCFC and my DCFC experiences and my 25 years previous in following ***** league 2 / conference clubs across the country. It's my badge of honour. :whistle:

Right, off the pitch last night I paid £23 all in for 2 adults / kid / parking to watch a near full strength Championship side in an amazing stadium to spend an evening getting out of the house and watching a live sporting event. Well, not so much of event as it turned out but clubs get mullered for ripping off fans often enough and I just think that on this occasion I have to say thankyou DCFC and well done. Just a shame that more fans couldn't make it despite this and despite that overall across the cup last night Derby's attendance was more than creditable.

Obviously lower league clubs need to make as much cash as they can but I know from experience that the same round like for like at a league 2 club would have cost me nearly double that and to watch inferior teams and have inferior facilities / view.

My kid got a free flag plus colouring crayons and also some sweets from two nice girls in the family corner (found it!!:lol:) which made her day. I never buy her presents at birthdays / Christmas.  :whistle:

Just overall we had a really good day out despite once again for the most part witnessing footballing quality for the best part of an hour not dissimilar to the type Grimsby are used to week in week out. Everyone sat round us was pleasant and no rants or bad language whatsoever once again so pats on the backs in the North Stand for everyone last night and thanks.

My only disappointment was that i'm a singer / drummer and a cajoler by trade at the footy and to sit in the North family area with a kid, relatively quietly and see those lads at t'other end in the SS bouncing and trying to make a difference really got to me last night. Brought back so many memories of times I've had and is a departure to what i'm used to. I feel as the season wears on and I get more used to going to games and more involved personally then i'll get saddened a little in the North Stand not being able to join in but I guess I can do that at away games and other cup games if I can rope a mate in and get somewhere around the noise in the SS so it's not all lost by any means.

Grimsby played exactly as I thought although I was a little surprised that we afforded them so much time to get their feet under the table first half hour where they sprayed it around nicely without creating much. First half hour there was no way to tell that there was a 2 division gulf between the teams. Gradually though Derby's passing and superior personnel ground down the Grimsby team as they sat deeper and last half hour plenty of chances created for Derby, most off target though which needs work. They tried to use set pieces to maximum effect culminating in the mad last couple of minutes where they could have scored a couple of times from a succession of corners.

Good to hear the Codheads were in full voice with their sense of humour and highly original thought provoking chants.

"Your support is &*%$£&* ****"  they sang. So will theirs be once again on Saturday when they take barely 700 to Wycombe at over 20 quid a pop and then only about 30 of them sing.

"I wanna go home, I wanna go hoooooooooooome................." well be my guest. Growing up around South Yorkshire / North Lincs I've had so many holidays / day trips to Cleggy that I've lost count. My only memories are grim. A week spent at the fitties caravan site was once classed as one of the top 50 character building exercises of all time. I'm one person who is glad to have swapped that area for this. Derbyshire is my home now.

"You only sing when you're winning!" so does EVERY set of supporters. That's why I always tried to get songs going constantly even if the team are 8-0 down as then such a trueism can never be levelled and another banal, obnoxious, predictable generic footy chant that belongs in the 80's can be made obsolete.

All made with all due respect of course.

There is a place for old traditional songs of course there is but these 3 in particular are embarrassing.

Overall it's a win to back up the point on Saturday and it's a solid start and although it's early days I have an inkling that Pearson's team aren't going to be all that great on the eye to watch and there could be quite a few scraped wins / draws this season. Just an inkling though. I've no idea how it will all pan out and if new additions will change this but i'm always hopeful.

Loving this new Derby journey and can't wait now for the Villa game. Absolutely gutted not to be able to get to Barnsley with me knowing the area really well and I can't get to Preston either because of the kid. She's got classes and stuff that I can't get out of. So I guess in a way the Grimsby fans ARE right...................my support IS %$&**£@ ****! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure I agree Tony. I think a theme of your posts is being too short and sharp. I'm never quite sure what you mean. Can't you explain yourself a bit more? :)

12 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I'm not sure I agree Tony. I think a theme of your posts is being too short and sharp. I'm never quite sure what you mean. Can't you explain yourself a bit more? :)

Haha was thinking that. When I see a wall of text no matter how well presented if it goes past a whole screen I always skip past it. Unless it has a lot and lot of likes of course! Then it can be worth reading.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

First of all massive praise to the club for a few things actually. A theme of my posts that no doubt will come to annoy you all immensely over time will be my comparisons between DCFC and my DCFC experiences and my 25 years previous in following ***** league 2 / conference clubs across the country. It's my badge of honour. :whistle:

Right, off the pitch last night I paid £23 all in for 2 adults / kid / parking to watch a near full strength Championship side in an amazing stadium to spend an evening getting out of the house and watching a live sporting event. Well, not so much of event as it turned out but clubs get mullered for ripping off fans often enough and I just think that on this occasion I have to say thankyou DCFC and well done. Just a shame that more fans couldn't make it despite this and despite that overall across the cup last night Derby's attendance was more than creditable.

Obviously lower league clubs need to make as much cash as they can but I know from experience that the same round like for like at a league 2 club would have cost me nearly double that and to watch inferior teams and have inferior facilities / view.

My kid got a free flag plus colouring crayons and also some sweets from two nice girls in the family corner (found it!!:lol:) which made her day. I never buy her presents at birthdays / Christmas.  :whistle:

Just overall we had a really good day out despite once again for the most part witnessing footballing quality for the best part of an hour not dissimilar to the type Grimsby are used to week in week out. Everyone sat round us was pleasant and no rants or bad language whatsoever once again so pats on the backs in the North Stand for everyone last night and thanks.

My only disappointment was that i'm a singer / drummer and a cajoler by trade at the footy and to sit in the North family area with a kid, relatively quietly and see those lads at t'other end in the SS bouncing and trying to make a difference really got to me last night. Brought back so many memories of times I've had and is a departure to what i'm used to. I feel as the season wears on and I get more used to going to games and more involved personally then i'll get saddened a little in the North Stand not being able to join in but I guess I can do that at away games and other cup games if I can rope a mate in and get somewhere around the noise in the SS so it's not all lost by any means.

Grimsby played exactly as I thought although I was a little surprised that we afforded them so much time to get their feet under the table first half hour where they sprayed it around nicely without creating much. First half hour there was no way to tell that there was a 2 division gulf between the teams. Gradually though Derby's passing and superior personnel ground down the Grimsby team as they sat deeper and last half hour plenty of chances created for Derby, most off target though which needs work. They tried to use set pieces to maximum effect culminating in the mad last couple of minutes where they could have scored a couple of times from a succession of corners.

Good to hear the Codheads were in full voice with their sense of humour and highly original thought provoking chants.

"Your support is &*%$£&* ****"  they sang. So will theirs be once again on Saturday when they take barely 700 to Wycombe at over 20 quid a pop and then only about 30 of them sing.

"I wanna go home, I wanna go hoooooooooooome................." well be my guest. Growing up around South Yorkshire / North Lincs I've had so many holidays / day trips to Cleggy that I've lost count. My only memories are grim. A week spent at the fitties caravan site was once classed as one of the top 50 character building exercises of all time. I'm one person who is glad to have swapped that area for this. Derbyshire is my home now.

"You only sing when you're winning!" so does EVERY set of supporters. That's why I always tried to get songs going constantly even if the team are 8-0 down as then such a trueism can never be levelled and another banal, obnoxious, predictable generic footy chant that belongs in the 80's can be made obsolete.

All made with all due respect of course.

There is a place for old traditional songs of course there is but these 3 in particular are embarrassing.

Overall it's a win to back up the point on Saturday and it's a solid start and although it's early days I have an inkling that Pearson's team aren't going to be all that great on the eye to watch and there could be quite a few scraped wins / draws this season. Just an inkling though. I've no idea how it will all pan out and if new additions will change this but i'm always hopeful.

Loving this new Derby journey and can't wait now for the Villa game. Absolutely gutted not to be able to get to Barnsley with me knowing the area really well and I can't get to Preston either because of the kid. She's got classes and stuff that I can't get out of. So I guess in a way the Grimsby fans ARE right...................my support IS %$&**£@ ****! :thumbsup:

Is this part of a essay?

41 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

Haha was thinking that. When I see a wall of text no matter how well presented if it goes past a whole screen I always skip past it. Unless it has a lot and lot of likes of course! Then it can be worth reading.

@Tony Le Mesmer always worth reading, regardless of length. An excellent new poster. If you skip over it, you never know what you're missing!

1 hour ago, ptt1 said:

can somebody please confirm the bizarre statistic from the bbc website that we gave away 0 fouls and they only gave away 1. not surprising Pearson wants us to be more ruthless.

Well Pearce picked up a yellow, difficult (but not impossible) to do without committing a foul..

17 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Well Pearce picked up a yellow, difficult (but not impossible) to do without committing a foul..

It was indeed a foul, when he dallied on the ball. I think there were a few other fouls too but for some reason not recorded by the stat-man.

Overall a fairly clean contest though and no injuries apart from to the linesman.

@Tony Le Mesmer I have really enjoyed your posts. I have always been a bit quiet about my footballing past so it's nice to see another convert coming in. ( I grew up in south Manchester with a granddad as a fervent red and spent formative years watching Hill, Coppell, Pearson and others .. Saw Charlton and Best just once ) I started my DCFC adventure 20 years ago when we moved to this great city. Managed a few games every year until 3 years ago, packed in the cigs and rewarded myself with a season ticket. ... I feel like I've got my youth back. The banter, the "sage"analysis, the numpties, the ups and downs and there is nothing like knowing each and every player on the pitch, their moods,  card tricks, falabilities and moments of brilliance.   The ball in the back of the net at live game ( can't beat it ) and sharing that with fellow fans. The local camaraderie and so much more. 

my only sadness is that I don't have the track record with Derby County because I am a Johnny come lately, but as a gesture of solidarity I gave my losing 1976 FA semi final programme to my plumber. Just felt it was a symbolic gesture to say ..although I still follow Man U, I am first of all a RAM 

22 minutes ago, jono said:

@Tony Le Mesmer I have really enjoyed your posts. I have always been a bit quiet about my footballing past so it's nice to see another convert coming in. ( I grew up in south Manchester with a granddad as a fervent red and spent formative years watching Hill, Coppell, Pearson and others .. Saw Charlton and Best just once ) I started my DCFC adventure 20 years ago when we moved to this great city. Managed a few games every year until 3 years ago, packed in the cigs and rewarded myself with a season ticket. ... I feel like I've got my youth back. The banter, the "sage"analysis, the numpties, the ups and downs and there is nothing like knowing each and every player on the pitch, their moods,  card tricks, falabilities and moments of brilliance.   The ball in the back of the net at live game ( can't beat it ) and sharing that with fellow fans. The local camaraderie and so much more. 

my only sadness is that I don't have the track record with Derby County because I am a Johnny come lately, but as a gesture of solidarity I gave my losing 1976 FA semi final programme to my plumber. Just felt it was a symbolic gesture to say ..although I still follow Man U, I am first of all a RAM 

At least we're even for @Boycie's lad, I suppose.

Archived